Injuries - auditions and exams!

Lilac

My daughter sustained an injury to her right arm doing a dance lift in class on Friday. She is 13. Am very worried as she's due to attend a second audition at Laban next Sunday, a first audition at Swindon a few days later and her long--awaited Inter Foundation exam at the end of June! It seem thought it will take a while to completely recover! What do people do in these cicumstances? Feel she won't do herself justice at these important auditions, and it's all valuable time wasted in practising for the exam. Any suggestions?

Firstly - Unless its a broken bone, Get her to a good sports or dance physio asap. It might be that a couple of sessions of physio will help the injury so much that she'll be able to do everything ok. Secondly, the physio's are the right people to give advice on what activity to modiify etc

• Like 1

Her arm could well be a lot better by the end of June for her Ballet exam, she won't need to lean on it for that or anything at least. For the auditions I would contact the colleges as soon as possible to let them know what has happened, she may be able to miss sections of the audition that would cause pain.

I agree taking her to a physio could help enormously, I strained my neck very badly once, I could barely move my head, literally one trip to the physio fixed it for a couple of weeks before it started hurting again, I then went back and had another session and it's been fine ever since.

Good luck!

I definitely agree re. seeing a dance physio once you are sure that there's no break. They will know what it's safe to do in terms of dance, and what should be avoided. Fingers crossed that by the end of June all will be well (and at least in Inter Foundation there's no lifting!).

Guessing you have already tried ice and rest?