SWL for royal ballet school JAs

amos73

Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone has knowledge of the chance of getting a place off swl - dd has swl for yr 6 London. I can't imagine places hardly ever become available which is fine, we are happy with swl and her current associates programme. But wondered if anyone knew realistically what the chances were.

Thanks!

Congrats balletmum20 on another SWL! your DC must have something they like to get it two years in a row. Although I understand frustrating too. <_<

Interesting to hear that occasionally places do come up on the SWL, tutu girl. I kind of thought they wouldn't as I couldn't think why a space would become available - does anyone know the reasons why a places would ever become available?

Thanks

Places come available as times of classes are not given till a bit later, so maybe times don't suit, cost, maybe clashes with other dancing programs, or they just decide its a big commitment with the travel!

Thanks and yes it's very frustrating for 2 years!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your frustrating situation ;) 

It's not a question that can be easily answered, other than to say that some children do get places off the waiting list. 

Going back to our JA days 12 or so years ago, my eldest son was offered a place off the waiting list (we had a phone call just a couple of weeks before the end of the summer term), went to go to WL, then Elmhurst and is now a professional dancer; youngest son was on waiting list and never got a place (and gave up dance in his mid-teens); and daughter got straight into JAs but no further (continued dancing non-vocationally and now plays rugby instead!).  JAs is just one small part of their journey of life.

• Like 6

Thanks JulieW! Yes, indeed there are many different outcomes and they are still young so who knows where they will end up and how they will get there.

Thanks for sharing your dcs experiences! Really interesting to hear about their various paths.

• Like 1

Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone has knowledge of the chance of getting a place off swl - dd has swl for yr 6 London. I can't imagine places hardly ever become available which is fine, we are happy with swl and her current associates programme. But wondered if anyone knew realistically what the chances were.

Thanks!

Some years ago, my DD (then going into Year 6) was offered a place from the SWL for both RBS Summer School and for JAs, so it can happen! Congratulations to your DD on her SWL place - it is a huge achievement in itself.

I

• Like 1

Congrats to your daughter. My daughter got a place off the SWL for year 5 a few years ago. When we got the initial letter I called them after a few days, because like you we were happy that she had achieved SWL but had no idea whether she stood any chance of getting a place eventually.

The kind lady that answered my call told me there was no way that she could say whether she would or wouldn't but did tell me that she was 'as high as it was possible to be' on the SWL and within two days I had a phone call offering her a place at our chosen centre. She had a great two years there and was subsequently offered an MA place despite not auditioning for WL.

So yes it does happen. Wishing your daughter the very best of luck!

• Like 1