White Lodge Summer Fair/Open Day this Saturday (13th June)

Yaffa

It's the annual WL summer fair and open day on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lauren Cuthbertson will be opening it. Further details at:

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2015/05/open-day-and-summer-fair-2/

It's always a very special day, rain or shine... but good to see that the weather forecast is currently predicting just a 10% chance of rain (down from 20% yesterday). It would would be nice to meet up with other Balletco-ers in one of the breaks.Hopefully this year they'll have an arrangement for allocating indoor seating tickets without people having to spend the breaks queuing....

• Like 2

In the 13 years I've been going we've only had rain a couple of times (well, maybe more but it feels like that). The thunder and lightening was interesting when my son and friends were doing the sword dance! I'm hoping to go but I don't know many people there now so I'm still considering....

• Like 3

Advanced Warning : photography and recording of performances and students is NOT PERMITTED. Dogs will not be permitted in the lawn area at the back of the school - visitors will be asked to leave them teathered at the gate if they still wish to attend. The outdoor seating around performance area will be opened 10 minutes before each performance. Please do not take seats before that time. All seats must be vacated after a performance (ie: no seat saving) to ensure that as many visitors as possible are able to see the children dancing). A recording of the dress rehearsal will be shown on screens around the school during the afternoon.

Well, that's put a downer on the whole thing - interesting what a change of management has done. One of the great things as a parent was being able to actually get pictures/videos of them dancing for a change. I didn't take my own dogs but thought it was nice to see people could take them in. And we've never has a problem with watching the lawn performances, even with "seat saving".

Thanks for the warning - although I don't think I'll be there this time, it's useful information for others.

• Like 3

I think you'll find the same no photography / no recording of children policy in most schools up and down the country, whether it be a dance school performance or a junior school nativity. It is a shame but most schools will allow group photos to be taken at the end of the performance. On the plus side it prevents certain parents from waving iPads in the air spoiling the view of everyone else. Watch out for the release of the DVD !!

It wouldn't be so bad if they would do a DVD (like our "regular" schools did) - parents wouldn't mind paying to have a keepsake of their children's dancing.  The only time I ever got any video of my son dancing at WL or at Elmhurst was if I recorded it (and that was only at the summer fair at WL).  So frustrating that there were all those lovely end of year performances and nothing to look back on (not helped by the fact that at the time, money was so tight due to the fees that I couldn't afford to buy a selection of photos that were taken at dress rehearsals, which were really expensive - I would definitely have bought a DVD).

I think they just need to make it really clear that recordings are for private use only and are not to be placed on public sites such as YouTube.  They haven't been in the past, but I think parents are more likely to these days even from just a few years back when we were there I suppose.

I think they just need to make it really clear that recordings are for private use only and are not to be placed on public sites such as YouTube.  They haven't been in the past, but I think parents are more likely to these days even from just a few years back when we were there I suppose.

Perhaps they could at least make the video of the dress rehearsal available to families? 

Last year I recall seeing notices saying specifically that recordings were only for private use and should not be uploaded to social media channels...

Have a lovely day today everyone who is going. It really is a lovely day for parents, mostly because you get a rare opportunity to see your child dance. And if you're just a visitor it's a chance to have a bit of a WL experience.

• Like 2

The dancing at the Summer fair this year was fantastic and I felt that people were treated to a real range of the talents of WL students.  They allowed some (although unfortunately not all) of the winning chore pieces from the annual competition.  There is some real talent emerging there!  I particularly liked the piece the year 10's danced.  The year 11 Spanish was my favourite dance but then I guess it would be  ;)

• Like 1