Have you joined Pinterest yet?

Lisa O`Brien

Hey everyone,this is one of my all-time favourite websites at the moment. Pinterest allows you to pin your favourite pictures of whatever you like on your pin board,and allows others to see your board and "borrow" your pins if they like them. Some of the ballet ones are just stunning. I swap pins regularly with people all over the world. Just go to www.pinterest.com and its really easy to join. Some of my favourites are,Yummy Cakes,Wedding Dresses,Ballerinas,Tulips,and Vintage Cars. There`s something for everyone, so why not give it a try.You`ll be hooked.![bTW,i DON`T work for the company in case you think i`m trying to plug them for a specific reason.!

I guess it's the final collapse of copyright on the web. Most (but not all) of the pages that I've looked at are full of uncredited photos presumably 'borrowed' from other sites where they may or may not have been posted with the author's permission. I suppose this is an unstoppable tide but it seems sad that so little credit is usually given to the original photographers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the waiting list too, so I haven't tried it yet....I wasn't going to join it but when looking at pictures of hairstyles today (for dd), one said "pin it" so I clicked to see what happened and it took me to pinterest.

Janet, have you got off the waiting list yet?

Yes, I'm now on Pinterest. I've been uploading some of my own photographs but have also included some links to authors websites and have pinned some stuff from the BRB Pinterest site (so far). I'm not very adept yet and I'm not quite sure there is a point to it all!

Edited to add the URL for my pinboards: http://pinterest.com/janetmcnulty27/

I elected to log in via facebook and when I joined it immediately followed several of my fb friends who are already on the site.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting - and whilst the co-founder sounds a little vague on the potential 'issues,' one senses that his lawyers are absolutely sure about them. No doubt it will all be tested in court if a sufficiently large, and well-funded, corporate interest feels it has been infringed, as with music and Napster. (By all accounts, the Olympic authorities and the London sponsors appear to have been throwing their weight about on branding and copyright issues over here in recent days.) Conversely, the size and spread of the internet may well protect the use of the odd picture/image from more personal sources.

• Like 1

There's a scary article here in the US Business Insider website exploring the legal side of posting on Pinterest without specific authorisation from the copyright owner.

There seem to be big issues here which will no doubt be resolved eventually, meanwhile…

Either we read the same old links John or you follow my Twitter feed where I called up the link earlier! Hadn't seen this thread at the time - it was a general warning to all on Twitter.

I despair about people stealing images and thinking it ok or not even seeing it as stealing. Even BRB when they started putting up images they had rights to, didn't credit as they should. It was rapidly fixed but somehow typical of folks jumping in without reading the small print about having clearence to use and if you do have clearence complying with any conditions attached. In BRBs case their contract with Bill Cooper would have had clauses about him being credited. These things happen and in BRBs case they are all legal now (or appear so), but so many Pinterest pages are just a collection of stolen images. Its not just about crediting those who own the images, its about clearly having authority to use the images in yor space. Creatives deserve better treatment.

It was indeed your tweet that drew my attention to it. Where do you find such things?

I look at a number of technology sites and one had news about Pinterest 'poaching' a senior Google legal beagle who well knows IPR issues. It was of a number of links off that. Can't remember which site now! But do any Google search on Pinterest and copyright and you get a lot of interesting/scary links. If you got rid of all the illegal images I doubt that Pinterest would be anywhere near as big as it is.