Quick market research poll! (outside of London please)

drdance

Team Hud (University of Huddersfield) charges £5 for 90 minutes with Fiona Noonan. KNT Dancewoks in Manchester charges £5 for an hour. Hype Dance in Sheffield charges £6.  Northern Ballet Academy charges £6.50 for an hour (or more for some classes) with a pianist.  

If you would like me to blog it on Terpsichore which has a monthly circulation of 8,000 send me details of the dates, times, venues and standards.

I hope the classes go well.

• Like 1

I pay £6 at the DanceXchange in Birmingham for 1 1/4 hours in really excellent studios. Students pay £5. The other class I do is £8 in a very cramped and odd shaped studio but we're renting the space and split the cost amongst us. We're hoping to find a better place.

In Devon, I'm paying £5 for an hour long ballet class taught by the studio owner [beginner unfortunately] . EXCELLENT value as she's a very good teacher. I pay £6 for an hour long contemporary class, taught by an outside teacher (so I guess she has to pay studio hire). I'd pay more, but then I earn a reasonable salary. I'd also be happy to buy a class card up front.

North Wiltshire area, local dance school for 1 hour classes:

• Adult single class:                       £7.00 on drop in basis
  • Book of class passes:                 £32.50               
  • Adult by direct debit:            
  • 1 class:                                         £22.00 per month
  • 2 classes:                                     £41.80 per month
  • 3 classes:                                     £59.40 per month
  • Adult Unlimited classes             £75.00 per month

Hi invisiblecircus - it would be 'open level' so it basically would depend on the majority of people attending! I'd play it by ear and see how people coped. I'm assuming my initial clientele would be mums (and/or dads) who used to dance when younger but I'm flexible (no pun intended!) if there's a huge demand I'll split into beginners and advanced.

• Like 1

Just to add a data point or two,

beginner's adult classes in one South Wiltshire studio cost £7/week - payable by term, about a dozen people, classes last an hour

open level classes (around RAD 6) in one Somerset place cost £7.50 - at a fairly big studio with only half a dozen participants, also payable by term, classes last an hour

at another place it's £5 - quite a cramped venue, payable on a drop in basis, classes are more advanced ('open level for those with ballet experience'), classes last maybe an hour and a half, all very informal and fun; they also offer workshops sometimes on technique at around £15 per 2-3 hour session.

Regarding level, beginner's classes are sometimes viewed as 'keep fit' and sometimes viewed as introduction to ballet... For example, one teacher (for whom I have a lot of time, this is not a criticism) explained to the class that she saw ballet as beneficial to adults for flexibility and balance (which is of course quite true); for that, one class a week was enough, technically complex things such as preparation for turns would not be introduced and long enchainements wouldn't be considered, far less eventual performance or exams or the other amazing things that some adult dancers on this board do. Her students benefit a lot from her class in precisely the ways she identifies, it's the service she offers and she's clear about it. For comparison, I took a second class alongside that one, which is just the sort of open level class you describe, and had a whale of a time even though for the first few weeks I was not waving but drowning during the port de bras :)  The teacher for that class tended to modify things a little by level (beginners in third, intermediates in fifth; beginners do pas de bourré, intermediates do pas de bourré piqué; beginners can try the more difficult version, promise not to point and laugh)... to me this was great as we beginners got to try all sorts of fun and challenging stuff! Forgive the digression: was thinking that these different approaches may have different price points, levels of retention and strategies for getting people involved, although obviously they have different barriers to entry too  :)

Edited by triphazard
  • Like 3

I inherited a small adult class when I took over a school which is £8 per hour on a drop in basis.

A lot depends on overheads, Hall hire is pricey here and I also pay a pianist. And there are insurances and licensing expenses too.

I rarely make a profit on this class but have a great bunch of regulars.

• Like 1

It varies considerably in the end here ......some classes more expensive than some classes in London!!(eg Central Adult classes are still £8 for an hour and a half which is great value)

In Brighton my Saturday one and a half hour class in the studio at Alive Gym costs only £7

Brighton Ballet School classes if you pay by the term work out at £10 per hour and a half class the drop in rate though is higher at £13 for the same class. Students though do pay less.

My Russian class is an hour and a half and costs £10 to drop in but £9 if you pay for the term.