Scottish Ballet Junior Associates

balletshoes

I'm sending hugs too.

I didn't get "yesses" until I was 18 and got into Hammond. And I've done pretty well. Rejections made me stronger and more able to cope with life in general in a funny way. It also meant that when I did get my chance I didn't waste it and worked my socks off!

It has also enabled me to reassure my DS when he has had knockbacks and I like to think that I also have more empathy with my students whenever they have disappointments too.

Your daughter sounds like a very determined young lady, all the very best to her. Unfortunately we can't change the bad bits in life but at least they make the good bits seem even better!

• Like 4

Hi Balletshoes,

No Juniors, we will again have seniors but from a teachers point of view their is rarely unadulterated happiness along with audition results! I have a few more happy than unhappy but as someone far brighter than I once said "you are only as happy as your unhappiest child" so its been a fairly subdued week here.

Ballettaxi hope your little one is on the mend and has lots of dance to look forward to over the summer I keep reminding my lot Summer School is just around the corner with a whole new set of challenges for them.

T.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and hugs. DD is keeping her spirits up and had great fun yesterday at the first of many shows she has this year.

Totty - what summer schools do you know about? We're on holiday for the Scottish Ballet week so she can't go to that one - really disappointed as she has enjoyed that one the last few years. The only other one I know about is at the Conservatoire but it's quite expensive.

thanks

Hi ballettaxi. Sorry to hear you news. I hope your daughter has picked up a bit now. Another couple of summer schools to look at in Scotland are Ballet West (my boys have loved their time up in Taynuilt the past few years, and the training is fab, although quite expensive), and there is also one at Kilgraston (sp?) School in Perth and there are usually some great teachers there. I think there is also a Russian ballet summer school in Edinburgh too but don't know much more than that. We are doing the hip hop dance week at Dance Base in Edinburgh this year. Only for up to age 12 but my youngest son loves hip hop as well as ballet so we are having a break from Ballet West to do this one. Hope you find something. xx

• Like 1

Thanks Belljul, I'll check out the Perth one and definitely see if I can find out more about the Russian ballet in Edinburgh. I'd hear mixed reports about the Ballet West summer school - more around the out of class supervision and security of the children rather than the dancing itself which I've always heard good things about. The Conservatoire is £400 for the six days (non residential) so hubby and I are still in negotiations (!) - not budgeted or even considered spending this amount so definitely needs a bit of thought before we sign up. (Although still need to check if they have availability at this late date.)

Yes, you are right about the kids not being supervised all the time out of classes at Ballet West which I think is why my sons loved every minute lol! They loved the freedom on the Estate but I can understand that can be a worry. We looked at the Conservatoire too but if we were going to spend that money the kids all voted for Ballet West! They will have to wait til next year while I save up though. Good luck with your planning.

• Like 1

Ha ha, I can see why that would be appealing to some children, however my DD always feels uncomfortable if she doesn't know who's in charge and who she should go to if anything is wrong - new friends always find this strange as anywhere she goes the first thing she does is check out where the exits are and what happens in an emergency (she also does a head count of everyone whenever they go from one place to another - sorry all my fault, I'm a bit neurotic too!) - yes she's old before her time in that way but she has said that would feel a bit uncomfortable in that situation.

• Like 2

Hi Ballettaxi,

The only other Scottish Summer School I know about is Kenn Burke and Friends running at The Dance School of Scotland it's the 9th - 13th of July and priced at £160 for five days really excellent value for money, a lot of dancing and very little down time, I have a phone number some where and will have a look for it if you are interested...

T.

• Like 1

Hi Totty - thanks for the information, however we're on holiday that week. That would have been great as she met Kenny last year at the RAD Junior Awards and thought he was a 'lovely, friendly, smiley man'. Looking at the other options suggested on here and see what we can work around to get her something to keep her occupied (and stop me from going crazy with her moaning about not having any dance classes).