Scottish Ballet Junior Associates

balletshoes

Hi,

This is my very first post and i feel a little nervous! I have enjoyed following all the dds' and dss' journeys but never imagined

I would have any news to post. My lovely little dd audtioned for the associate scheme with Scottish Ballet last weekend along with 200 others and yesterday we received a yes letter! Much excitement in our household! I wondered if anyone had any experience of this programme? Thank you all again for your informative and inspiring posts they gave me the confidence to let my dd apply.

balletshoes

• Like 10

Congratulations and welcome to you and your DD! Brilliant news and what a high number at the audition!! Big well done, its a lovely feeling when they achieve such a wonderful opportunity.

Ax

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and kind wishes. When I telephoned to enquire about auditon times a couple of weeks ago I couldn't beleive it when i was told they had received over 200 applications. I am not sure if this was the total for the weekly classes (held for children who live within a reasonable distance) and or for the monthly ones for those of us who live further away. Certainly there were 30 in my dd's group and there had been groups before and at least 1 after. They said we would have the results within 2 weeks so I really wasn't expecting to hear anything til end of next week. Everyone there was very welcoming and friendly. Looking forward to hearing more about your lovely talented children.

balletshoesx

Welcome to the forum balletshoes and congratulations to your dd. Dd and ds used to go to a theatre school with someone who did Scottish Ballet assciates and she always enjoyed it. I think their new premises sound wonderful. The only reason ds never auditioned for them is that his Hammond Associates sundays always seemed to be the same ones that she was at Scottish Ballet.

Hope your dd has a great time.

Hello balletshoes

both my dd were monthly JAs when they younger they both loved it and got alot from it. Oldest DD who was a Senior Associate as well has just finished her graduation performance at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and younger DD is about to finish at the Dance School of Scotland and will now be going on to Elmhurst . Well done to your DD on becoming a JA you never know where it may take you xxx

• Like 3

My dd was a Scottish Ballet JA for 2 years...she did the weekly classes and she absolutely loved it! It's a really super programme and the teaching is outstanding. I would guess that the 200 applicants were the total number of applicants ie for weekly and monthly classes. Well done to your dd I'm sure she will love every minute of it. Is she doing weekly or monthly classes?

My ds did Scottish Ballet associates for two years and absolutely loved it. The teaching was fantastic and without it he probably woulnd't be where he is now as local teaching wasn't great. He is now a student at the Hammond School in year 10 and doing extremely well. Hope your dd enjoys this time and both enjoys and learns a lot.

Congratulations to your DD balletshoes. My DD was a JA from August 2009 until May last year and absolutely loved it. She was in the weekly classes and was amongst the first Associates to get the use of the fabulous Education Suite and the main studios - wait until you see the Peter Darrell Studio - it is amazing - the light, the space, the accoustics - WOW!!! The level of tuition the children receive is outstanding, my DD still starts many statements with 'Miss Livingstone says.......'. And don't ever start her on Alan the pianist - he plays them lots of silly little tunes to bop along to and really helps them to relax when they're working hard (he also throws in a few classics for the audience at parents evenings - picture watching your child dance to the theme to Blackadder - yes all you can visualise is Edmund's haircut and Lord Percy prancing in the background!!).

The programme also has the extra benefits of confidence and broadening your childs circle of friends. My DD grew so much in confidence, not just in her dancing but as a person, and made some lovely friends - one friend in particular who she just clicked with and they still travel some distance every month for a sleep over to keep in touch - lovely to see.

My DD is audition for Mids again this weekend and is very nervous - she didn't quite make it last year (had a pesky growth spurt just before the audition and so was at that gangly stage where she hadn't regained her normal level of muscle tone - darn!) but we're so proud of her that she's prepared to put herself out there and try again. Fingers crossed for us.

I have no doubt your DD will love her time at JA's balletshoes, it's a fantastic experience and she'll love every minute of it (if you're anything like me you'll love the cakes and pastries in the Tramway cafe - oops!).

• Like 1

Sorry made a mess of my first post, just wondered if Ballettaxi, might remember how quickly the Mid results came out last year? I have a few very nervous dancers waiting on letters...

Hi Totty - last year the results were out in a matter of days for the mids (sorry don't know about the seniors), however I have heard that it may well be as long as the 2 weeks quoted this year. My DD is on tenterhooks and can't sit still waiting to see if it's a big or small envelope.

Thank you ballettaxi, Mum's are much better at remembering these things, I thought all this Jubilee malarky might have an effect on the wait but I am hoping they won't make these poor children wait too much longer...

Hi ballettaxi - Have heard that results may not be out until after parents days for Mids and Senoirs, I know Seniors was on Saturday and I'm assuming Mids will be next week, it seems we'll all have to wait just a little longer...

T.

Hi ballettaxi - Five results I think :wacko:, (I'm so confused between exams auditions and performances at the minute I can hardly remember my own name), and was told I'd got it wrong last night, Mids had there parents day last Saturday as well so it could be this week!

T.

OMG - that means its time to start running for the post before DD gets to it so that I can prepare for the onslaught of emotions (either way - hankies for small envelope, earplugs for big envelope!).

Edited to say - Obviously I wouldn't open the envelope but just need to be prepared!

Edited by ballettaxi
  • Like 1

My friend's dd has just found out she has been offered a place in seniors after worrying herself sick over the last couple of weeks waiting. I understand that the competition this year was even more ferocious than in previous years so I am thrilled for her. Good luck to everyone still waiting for results for seniors and mids.

• Like 2

Hi balletshoes - tried to post an update last night but for some reason it didn't seem to work.

Unfortunately bad news again for my DD - she's understandably upset but after locking herself away in her room for a couple of hours she came back downstairs with her pointe shoes on and stated that she'll just have to work harder to stand any chance of getting into Seniors next year!! I honestly can't believe the resilience she has (or is that stubborness?!)

Her best friend, who had a place last year, didn't get one this year so she's been very mature and consoling her.

Unfortunately she'll now have to tell all her friends at her dance school as they all knew she was going for it again - but they all know how determined she is and have all admitted that they just don't have the courage to put themselves forward for this type of rejection (most are at least a year or two older than her, but none as set on a career in this field).

Thanks for the crossed fingers and toes - I'll give you a shout for support again next year if you don't mind ;)

bs

• Like 1

I am so so sorry ballettaxi, but what a trouper your dd is, picking herself up and also consoling her friend! She must be made of stern stuff and

come from good stock :) ! Sending you both a virtual hug and as I think Spanner said on another thread its just a not this time, not a never. bsx

• Like 1

Thanks balletshoes - her own ballet teacher, can believe she didn't get in last year and felt certain that she had a great chance for this year. I have always discussed these things with her as she has a fantastic reputation and a number of her current and former pupils have achieved great success in the dance world (and she know's how determined DD is!). I think it just proves that you can never tell what the board are looking for - is it potential, current ability, physique, musicality, etc. There is obviously a criteria that she didn't meet, however she's young enough that all these things could change as she matures (she's only 12).

I had seen Spanner's comment and actually quoted this to DD yesterday - scary how we all think alike when it comes to encouraging our DKs.

• Like 1