Associate classes/summer schools in South Wales/South West England

goodtoes

Hi.  I wondered if any of you could help me.

I am looking for Associate Classes/Summer Schools for an 11 year old (turns 12 in October) in the South Wales area.  I am aware of Ballet Cymru, although she is too young for their associate class this year.  Obviously the closer the better, but we are prepared to travel a bit.  For reference we are 1 hr 40 min from Bristol, 2 hr 30 min from Birmingham and 3 hr 30 min from London.  Too far from London, I think, for an every week class.

Ideally I am looking for things that we haven't missed the closing date/auditions for, although ideas for next year would be helpful too.

Thank you so much!

Bristol Russian Ballet School may be doing a summer school - this page says they run one for 11-14 yr olds: http://www.bristolrussianballetschool.com/easter_and_summer_courses/

Is Ballet Cymru summer school also for age 12+? Edited to add: No, it looks as if their SS is from 9+ so that may be well worth doing: http://welshballet.co.uk/take-part/riverfront-summer-dance-2015/

In terms of Associates, Royal Ballet School have Mid Associate classes at Birmingham, if I remember rightly, but I wonder if auditions have already been? Or the RAD have Associate classes at all levels at Birmingham: http://www.rad.org.uk/events/associate-classes-birmingham2

I thought I'd posted but it's disapeared.

I was going to say try Bristol for stuff. In terms of Birmingham keep an eye out for the Pickfords back to School classes often advertised on here.

You've probably missed the dates for things like Midland Theatre Ballet but there is also monthly RAD Associates in Birmingham.

In Chester Hammond School run a monthly Assocuates. I think auditions have already taken place but it wouldn't hurt to contact them.

MIDAS summer intensive is Aug 24-28th in Birmingham with teachers such as Jenna Lee, Daniel Jones, Dorcas Walters and more. You can attend as many or as few days as you wish. More details on the website or PM me. 

Royal ballet school Associate classes are in Bath and Birmingham. Too late this year but you can try next year. Birmingham royal ballet does workshops and master classes couple of times a year. Elmhurst school for dance in Birmingham has Saturday associate classes as well - not sure when are the auditions, might be also too late this year. Ballet cymru summer school is from 9+ general dance course and from 11+ ballet course. Their associates are from 12 but sometimes there are flexible with this so if your DD is from October they might let her audition - always worth asking.

There is a fab 1 week mixed genre summer school in early August with residential option at Dunsford, near Exeter, run by the amazing Layla Harrison. Last year Lauren Cuthbertson was one of the guest teachers, along with many other superb current West End performers. I am not sure how to post a link to the fb page, but if you are interested, pm me and I will give you the details.

Bristol Russian Ballet School also has a Youth Ballet Company that performs full length ballets every year, This year they performed 'Nutcracker' and last year 'Cinderella'. Photos are on their website and on YouTube there is a short clip of Cinderella.

Their contact details are on their website www.bristolrussianballetschool.com

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2015 at 14:39, goodtoes said:

Hi.  I wondered if any of you could help me.

I am looking for Associate Classes/Summer Schools for an 11 year old (turns 12 in October) in the South Wales area.  I am aware of Ballet Cymru, although she is too young for their associate class this year.  Obviously the closer the better, but we are prepared to travel a bit.  For reference we are 1 hr 40 min from Bristol, 2 hr 30 min from Birmingham and 3 hr 30 min from London.  Too far from London, I think, for an every week class.

Ideally I am looking for things that we haven't missed the closing date/auditions for, although ideas for next year would be helpful too.

Thank you so much!

Hello Stage One Associates and welcome to the Forum!  Thanks for the information about your Cardiff Associates programme.

In accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile:

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via Account Settings in the dropdown menu under your name. On a handheld device you select the three bars icon at top right, then Account Settings, then Signature.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum. Sending promotional "mailshot" messages to other users is not allowed."