Average age in ballet grades

Pointytoes22

I have also found exams to be misleading at times where many students who gain distinctions in vocational exams don't get places at vocational schools for a host of reasons, so it is not wise to use it as the only indicator of potential selection.

I have also found exams to be misleading at times where many students who gain distinctions in vocational exams don't get places at vocational schools for a host of reasons, so it is not wise to use it as the only indicator of potential selection.

I think one reason for this is that exams do not look at physique or physical appearance. As we know, vocational schools very definitely do look at these attributes.

• Like 1

.My dd has had teachers who like to do the same every lesson and i did see the difference of the girls in time but now she has a teacher who changes the same excersizes every lesson i have see a great improvement and they are much happier and improved much faster.

We have a teacher who goes over everything in minute detail and drives DS beserk. He is contantly telling me he's bored in class - not surprising as he's already spent almost 2 years on Inter and 18months on grade 6. She spoke about him to me the other week complaining that he wasn't attentive enough and his posture was poor, then she said ' well he's bored but that doesn't excuse it'. I wish I was brave enough to say that, if you know he's bored give him something a bit different to do for a change!

• Like 4

I do agree that working on just syllabus work could make one stale so it is always better to mix this with unset work, in my opinion.

I am not saying that an exam mark is a true reflection of a dancer but that a lower mark may make people look twice. Of course, that is not always a bad thing!

I am fairly sure that it is possible to take an exam at another centre or at Battersea in extenuating circumstances and would think it better to do that than take an exam when unwell and jeopardise the mark. Having said that, I also know that the RAD do give special consideration marks when candidates are ill or injured so do try and reflect what they feel a dancer may otherwise have scored.

The problem we had with dd's Inter Foundation was that she was attending the last exam session for the old syllabus, so retaking wasn't an option. She was taking it at HQ already so an alternative venue wasn't possible. I didn't know about the special consideration until afterwards, and by then it didn't really seem worth it.

Fortunately she still got a Merit and it was "only" Inter Foundation. If it had been any of the Advanced exams or there had been the option to postpone then I definitely would have done so, but as it was, it was just jolly bad luck. We thought it best to be pleased with the Merit given how ill she was, and move onwards and upwards. :-)

• Like 1

We have a teacher who goes over everything in minute detail and drives DS beserk. He is contantly telling me he's bored in class - not surprising as he's already spent almost 2 years on Inter and 18months on grade 6. She spoke about him to me the other week complaining that he wasn't attentive enough and his posture was poor, then she said ' well he's bored but that doesn't excuse it'. I wish I was brave enough to say that, if you know he's bored give him something a bit different to do for a change!

Be brave! You're the customer...

• Like 2