Creaking pointe shoes

Anna C

Morning all,

Probably a stupid question, for which I apologise!

My dd's Bloch Jetstreams started to creak last week. They are a few months old and I wonder if the shank could be on its way out?

She's always outgrown pointe shoes before they've been anywhere near dead, but has been doing quite a bit more work in these and her feet seem to have slowed right down in growth.

Could the creaking be a sign that I should get the shoes checked?

Morning all,

Probably a stupid question, for which I apologise!

My dd's Bloch Jetstreams started to creak last week. They are a few months old and I wonder if the shank could be on its way out?

She's always outgrown pointe shoes before they've been anywhere near dead, but has been doing quite a bit more work in these and her feet seem to have slowed right down in growth.

Could the creaking be a sign that I should get the shoes checked?

Getting them checked is always a good idea!

I found that when a shoe creaked the shank was loosening from the shoe - but not always.

• Like 1

I agree that getting them checked is always a good idea but the squeaking might not be a problem. My DD and several of her friends have found that Bloch shoes are often sqeaky at some point in their life. Not every pair and not all the time. I've no idea why.

• Like 1

My dd has Bloch Serenades, and we've never had this problem, thankfully.

If they creak when they are new/new-ish, then they are faulty. Take them back to the shop and ask for a replacement. If they say no, quote the Sale of Goods Act at them which says that goods have to be 'fit for purpose' and 'last a reasonable amount of time'.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Might be worth buying a new pair to wear in class then if they're broken in enough for exam use them, otherwise wear the creaky ones. I'm sure the examiner will be quite used to it so that shouldn't be an issue but if her current ones are creaking they might be on their way out so best put them aside and wear others in the meantime.

• Like 3

Why don't you buy a pair with the regular shank so that she can break them in quickly before the exam. Realise they may not last long afyerwards but would probably be best for confidence.

I thought about doing this, but I'm not sure - she's used to the hard shank ones now. Maybe I'll have a look at the prices and compare!