An opera forum?

Geoff

I lurked on BalletCoForum for about a year before finally joining (have posted a little now) and am just so impressed by the work of the committee: this is a limitlessly interesting place, kudos all round!

But - can anyone recommend a similar discussion forum for opera? By similar, I mean one with a focus on the UK / Covent Garden etc?

• Like 4

Someone once sent me a link to an opera forum but the language was so foul I felt it wasn't a forum I'd feel comfortable contributing to.  If you are able to discover a place with a friendlier atmosphere I'd love to know about it too.

I suppose it would be possible to start a thread on opera here in the 'not dance' section, apart from myself there are a few opera lovers her as tickets sometimes come up for sale and regular contributors Alison and Bruce Wall have alluded to opera from time to time.  Just between ourselves Geoff (I'll whisper it as what I have to say is close to heresy around here)  I am a bigger opera fan than I am a ballet fan these days.

I enjoy reading Opera Chic though her style is a little, er..... idiosyncratic, and she covers the international scene, but unfortunately she doesn't allow for comments.

Hope something comes up

Good luck

Mary B.

Edited by MAB

Someone once sent me a link to an opera forum but the language was so foul I felt it wasn't a forum I'd feel comfortable contributing to.  If you are able to discover a place with a friendlier atmosphere I'd love to know about it too.

Thanks Mary. I think I can guess which site you mean. Someone has suggested here instead:- www.talkclassical.com/opera

But this one isn't that great for those of us in England - although friendly enough - and it certainly isn't as large or as organised as this forum (with our sections for ticket exchanges, individual productions etc etc etc) The search continues!

Geoff...maybe you should think of starting one, with other like-minded people! There are many of us on this forum who are opera lovers as well as ballet lovers so you already have a potential roll call of contributors! In the meantime, please do start opera threads in our Not Dance area any time you want to share your thoughts.

• Like 1

I enjoy reading Opera Chic though her style is a little, er..... idiosyncratic, and she covers the international scene, but unfortunately she doesn't allow for comments

There's Intermezzo, but that's more of a blog, really.

Both Opera Chic and Intermezzo stopped adding to their blogs last year (Intermezzo still tweets). The nearest so far to what I have in mind is http://www.talkclassical.com/opera - but this hasn't (yet?) got a great variety of different opera sections (compared to what is on offer for ballet here) Nor, as I said earlier, is this forum aimed at us in the UK (though, as luck would have it, a conversation about Krol Roger has just started up over there, not particularly clearly labelled so easy to miss).

Geoff, I would love you to start an opera forum. The Intermezzo blog used to be fantastic. I consulted it regularly as not only was it extemely well-informed, it was also filled with information regarding unannounced performances and cast changes. I am sure that an operaco forum could run in tandem with the balletco forum providing booking information as well as reviews. You definitely have my vote!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

here's my two cents, which I don't want to seem crotchety, but I'd really rather NOT have an opera section on balletco. It's one more set of threads in the "new content" listing to scroll past when looking for the ballet threads that interest me (and that I expect to find on a ballet forum).

Respectfully submitted.

Opera was being frequently discussed on the 'not dance' forum anyway, so it makes sense to put all the topics in one place.  As far as I'm aware there is no longer a UK opera forum up and running so why shouldn't ballet,co provide one, after all ballet is performed in opera houses, though paradoxically the only dedicated dance house in London, Sadlers Wells, mostly hosts modern dance as opposed to classical ballet.

I am very pleased Ballet.co has taken this initiative, I would prefer to regard it as an arts site as opposed to a fan site.

• Like 3