LSC or NSCD

mgda

Hello, I'm new at this forum and I'm writting because I received an offer for BPA at Northern School of Contemporary Dance and London Studio Centre (Contemporary). However, I can't really decide which School it's better for me. I'm from Portugal, so I didn't have the opportunity to see how the classes are. How is the training at these schools? And what school could give a better formation?

Thank you!

Did you audition in person at both schools and is it the three year course you're going for in both places?

Most importantly, what are your professional aspirations after you graduate?

Also, is funding an issue? Have you checked out the funding situation in both places?

Yes, I auditioned for both schools in person and funding is not an issue.

I want to have a good classical and contemporary technique training, but also a good focus on working movement quality. My goal is to be a versatile dancer. I want to explore and develop a really particular kind of movement quality, my own movement. So I want to become a really strong and technical contemporary dancer, but also to be strong at more commercial styles like hip-hop and contemporary-jazz. I think that LSC could be closer to that goal, but I felt that the training at Northern would be better. That's why I'm confused about what to choose.

• Like 1

From what you've written, LSC sounds a better fit. I think the ballet standard is higher there given that they have classes at a high enough level to prepare students for a classical career and they also have a lot of students who go into commercial dance.

I have a friend who did 2 years at LSC then chose to do her final year at LSCD. Maybe something similar would be possible for you if, after the initial training in all styles, you felt you would like to continue with the contemporary route but thought that one of the other schools offered more what you were looking for at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide, they're both great schools!

• Like 1