55 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I understand why Patrons would get earlier priority booking etc; but I'm not sure I understand why casting information should be made known to them earlier. Also it would surely be pretty risky to do that, since you can embargo information given to press contacts but you surely can't demand the same absolute discretion from Patrons? (And in fact, casting info is available pretty late on nowadays, generally well after the performance schedule has been published.) All a bit confusing if you ask me.

Well patrons' booking has already begun. If you don't think patrons should get casting early, are you suggesting they should book blind of casting? I'd find that thoroughly unsatisfactory. And the "embargo" seems to work pretty well on the basis of the last couple of years. I don't see what the problem is, provided no-one is in the position of booking without knowing the casting.

• Like 2

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Now I am a bit lost Penelope. I (while being careful not to trespass on any personal confidences) made clear in my post that the friend who made the observation was a Prima Ballerina.

Are you now saying she is WITHOUT technical knowledge, which is a surprising thing to claim, or have I misunderstood you?

You have misunderstood!  Penelope was just correcting her previous post, wherein she had omitted the word "without".   She was not casting doubts or aspersions on your friend's technical knowledge!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Well patrons' booking has already begun. If you don't think patrons should get casting early, are you suggesting they should book blind of casting? I'd find that thoroughly unsatisfactory. And the "embargo" seems to work pretty well on the basis of the last couple of years. I don't see what the problem is, provided no-one is in the position of booking without knowing the casting.

I had no idea patrons' booking was already open, bangorballetboy - my booking date as an ordinary Friend isn't for ages yet (28 June). No, of course patrons couldn't book blind of casting. And I'm very impressed that there are/have been quite a few people who know casting but don't divulge it! But I still don't really understand why the casting shouldn't go on the website for all to see even they/we can't book yet.

• Like 9

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Melissa Hamilton is another dancers ho has been taking some time away from the RB. She is currently appearing with Roberto Bolle and friends on a short tour of China dancing Qualia pas de deux by Wayne McGregor . Just prior to this she appeared with Roberto in Rimini and had also danced with him at the World Ballet Festival in Tokyo during the summer.

Good luck to her-although she has successfully reprised her roles in the  acmillan repertoire, there doesn’t appear to be any widening of her repertoire since she returned from Semperoper.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Melissa has recently been rehearsing with Roberto Bolle for the forthcoming Roberto and Friends tour this summer.

Thank you for posting this @Odyssey, it's fairly obvious Mr Bolle has a high opinion of Miss Hamilton given how often they dance together. Remi Wortmeyer's choreography seems to suit both dancers, and what lovely music!

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
13 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Would love to see this as Bolle & Hamilton amongst my top favourite dancers! 
Anyone know if this gala style show will be in UK or anywhere in Europe this summer? 

Bolle Tour 2022 – Roberto Bolle

although I can't find who the "Friends" actually are.....

Edited by oncnp

14 hours ago, oncnp said:

Bolle Tour 2022 – Roberto Bolle

although I can't find who the "Friends" actually are.....

That won't be announced until probably just before the first performance, on past showing, but whoever they are will change through the summer. I would be willing to bet Nicoletta Manni and Jacopo Tissi will be included.

• Like 1

Well Andrej Uspenski aka dancersdiary on IG just posted a short video of Miss Kaneko and Mr Bolle and then Miss Hamilton and Mr Bolle, with Miss Naghdi also tagged; the dancing winds round a barre. Doesn't look like Apollo to me.

50 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Well Andrej Uspenski aka dancersdiary on IG just posted a short video of Miss Kaneko and Mr Bolle and then Miss Hamilton and Mr Bolle, with Miss Naghdi also tagged; the dancing winds round a barre. Doesn't look like Apollo to me.

It's Three Preludes.

• Thanks 1

I wish Roberto Bolle and Friends could add tour dates in London too. And I wish Bolle’s tv show Danza Con Me would get aired in Britain eg on SkyArts. Doesn’t matter that they are speaking Italian- subtitles will sort that out. I would love to see Melissa Hamilton in Three Preludes and am so pleased that the ballet is enjoying a recent surge in popularity, especially at ENB. I’d also love to see Melissa as Odette/Odile, Sugar Plum Fairy (missed her show due to illness) and Aurora. Looking forward to her debut in Like Water for Chocolate. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I wish Roberto Bolle and Friends could add tour dates in London too. And I wish Bolle’s tv show Danza Con Me would get aired in Britain eg on SkyArts. Doesn’t matter that they are speaking Italian- subtitles will sort that out. I would love to see Melissa Hamilton in Three Preludes and am so pleased that the ballet is enjoying a recent surge in popularity, especially at ENB. I’d also love to see Melissa as Odette/Odile, Sugar Plum Fairy (missed her show due to illness) and Aurora. Looking forward to her debut in Like Water for Chocolate. 

There are some short extracts from her Act 2 Swan Lake on YouTube if you search . Melissa also has a channel on YouTube to which you can subscribe which contains, amongst other things, rehearsal footage of Concerto, The Dream pas de deux, Monotones, This Bitter Earth pas de deux and other gems. Sadly, I don’t think she will have the opportunity to reprise her Sugar Plum or any of the other classics. But hopefully Mayerling   next season and I’d like to see her in more Balanchine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

There are some short extracts from her Act 2 Swan Lake on YouTube if you search . Melissa also has a channel on YouTube to which you can subscribe which contains, amongst other things, rehearsal footage of Concerto, The Dream pas de deux, Monotones, This Bitter Earth pas de deux and other gems. Sadly, I don’t think she will have the opportunity to reprise her Sugar Plum or any of the other classics. But hopefully Mayerling   next season and I’d like to see her in more Balanchine. 

Thanks, Odyssey- you and I have been enjoying all the same clips, I see! But thank you for posting them in case anyone hasn’t seen some of them. (By the way, Facebook also has a recording from a ballet fan page of Melissa and Matthew Ball in the Apollo pas de deux copied off the Royal Ballet livestream. (Not sure how legal it is, haha, but I guess it is not a long clip! Lovely for fans of the ballet or the performance though!) 

I must say I thought Melissa, Nicol Edmonds and Reece Clarke were outstanding in Monotones II in the Royal Ballet livestream last year. Monotones I or II isn’t filmed very much - the choreography and costumes mean that one step or even angle out of place can be very unforgiving and exposing, and to have it filmed for posterity, with every tiny error magnified on screen.... (takes nerves of steel!)....whereas for a stage performance you know that nobody is going to be able to rewind the show and scrutinise everything! 

I’m going to cross my fingers for that Sugar Plum/Nutcracker. 😁 And since we had so many new pairings of Swan Lake this year, one can continue to dream that Melissa might finally be cast in Odette/Odile next time round! 😊 Actually, now that Lizbie1 has mentioned Diamonds, I think she would be great in the Diamonds ballerina role. Yes, not much Balanchine coming up in the 2022-23 compared to previous seasons, but I’m happy to accept that as a trade off for the long awaited Cinderella revival. Perhaps we just need a longer Royal Ballet season. 😉 Maybe the company should have been offered the leftover dates in lieu of the cancelled Bolshoi Ballet visit instead of booking Bill Bailey and Brian Cox - Bailey and Cox are great in their respective fields but they don’t really need opera house calibre facilities for their gigs- it’s not like they’re going to start performing ballet or opera with a live orchestra..... 😂😆 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Perhaps we just need a longer Royal Ballet season. 😉 Maybe the company should have been offered the leftover dates in lieu of the cancelled Bolshoi Ballet visit instead of booking Bill Bailey and Brian Cox 

do you not think the dancers deserve a holiday?

• Like 3