Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch/NatureWatch news

taxi4ballet

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to escape a road trip from hell for a couple of hours yesterday to pop into the wonderful Bempton Cliffs reserve.  I was fortunate to see Albie the much sought Black Browed Albatross do a couple of circuits (someone nearby was saying their friend had made five trips from Chichester to Bempton and not seen it!), and there were lots of puffins about.  Clockwise below: 1. Albie 2. 'go on, tickle me again' razorbills 3. gannet 4. puffin

31KszQ0.jpg

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Shade said:

Ah - forgot the sandwich terns - such elegant birds

ooh, didn't know they'd started arriving, will have to go out and have a look.  Love watching them head out to sea and return with a fish in their bill. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First cuckoo for me this year was Monday in Troutbeck, Windermere. I haven’t heard any local cuckoos as I’m trying to complete a round of all the Wainwrights (214) this year by mid May which is taking me further afield. Just 14 left to do and three walks should complete the round. We’d always intended to do an annual round since retirement but having escaped Parish Council clerking, I’m now able to head for the fells whenever I like. It’s coming up to 5 years since my wife died and I thought it would be good to complete my 2022 round as part of my commemorations. The Troutbeck walk took in 10 fells, new Herdwick lambs, some high on the fell and others in the fields, skylarks all day, and I think just the one cuckoo in the afternoon.

• Like 4

Is got to be about 5 years since I’ve heard a cuckoo! Last time was at Wicken Fen in Cambs not far from Cambridge.

I follow Max out in the Lake District so get to see some nice views from up there on the live streams on Facebook. 

35 minutes ago, Shade said:

I can report house martins and swallows have arrived on the South coast.

And in East Anglian 😊 

House Martins very busy repairing their nests in the eaves. Always pleased when their nests need repairing otherwise blue tits use them before the house martins get back and it doesn’t end well. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

First cuckoo this year above Ambleside (Tuesday 18 April). I thought I’d heard one call but but rather dismissed it and that I’d imagined it as it’s a bit early (in previous years it’s often been 23 April). Then at a tea break shortly after the cuckoo called several times. A lovely end to a fabulous walk, Red Screes to Wansfell and quite a few in between.

• Like 8

Two magpies have started nesting in the top of our holly tree in the back garden! We had crows in another tree about five years ago but the first time we’ve had magpies. 
Im very worried about the dearth of starlings this year we normally have loads so there’s no take up in the old box they have often used or the brand new one my partner just made and put up about three weeks ago…so far. 
The only other birds nesting in boxes are two blue tits back in the box they used last year in a birch tree. 
We’ve got two robins regularly together and feeding each other ( I think the male feeds the female) but they nest in a different garden not far away. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got magpies and jackdaws hacking away at the same area of my back lawn that they always do, the soft mossy patches must make nice nests.

There are also a couple of seagulls making a nest for the third year running, on the roof opposite my house with 2 garden lengths between, but I can watch them them through my binoculars, always have to be as unobtrusive as I can, luckily I think my neighbours realise I'm a bit bird mad! 

I've got a large cotoneaster tree outside my living room window and I can see at this moment the sparrows twittering about, their nest must be on my or the next door neighbours' roof 😊

• Like 2

Some sparrows have now recently started nesting in the double sparrow box on the front of the house. This is just outside the kitchen window which overlooks the front so very noisy in the kitchen at the moment!! 

• Like 3

I have Goldfinches nesting in the small Elder tree in my back garden. It is of no surprise that the collective noun for Goldfinches is a 'charm'. They seem to gently chatter away almost as if they are talking to themselves 🙂

• Like 6

As I walked through the woods at the end of the road last night, on the way home from a sublime Beauty performance (I sigh again, just thinking of Yasmine's dancing), I was accompanied by a Tawney Owl calling. Not heard one for years!

• Like 7

On 14/05/2023 at 00:59, alison said:

A cotoneaster TREE?!

I deliberately let it grow and it's huge now, it provides some much needed privacy, it does wave about a lot in the wind though, my neighbour is in the process of building a small extension which ideally will protect it from the north wind🙂

• Like 2