Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch/NatureWatch news

taxi4ballet

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday’s walk and very pleased to see two red squirrels for the first in a new wood. Completely unexpected on a cold, grey morning at 850 feet and just a couple of small woods on the largely open fell side above High Ireby.

image.jpeg.3fbcf15ee34194a0e7d24f017e3e80e4.jpeg

image.jpeg.6fb55db5c92ae1f0caaeda257a17b4a6.jpeg

image.jpeg.08f631686ddc9cf6055478e1b566367d.jpeg

No need for up and down signs for these two.

On recent walks in sunnier weather, I’ve been accompanied by the skylarks singing away pretty much all of the time. Hopefully we’ll soon be able to return to concerts but these impromptu al fresco performances have been a delight. 

• Like 6

We had a great day for birds yesterday - woke up to a spotted woodpecker drumming in the garden, went out to snap it but found a treecreeper instead. In the afternoon we walked by the estuary and saw a herd of probably a hundred deer, a lovely female stonechat and a huge flock of knots, plus all the usual egrets, redshanks etc. Flurry of pics to follow below...

gkqLegv.jpg

0unFamh.png

XvLNfRA.png

LW7k99j.jpgKnots Landing...

GdPgiW6.jpg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, LinMM said:

Your deer has bit of a “ You looking at me” 
expression! 

he might well have - I waited till his head went down then scurried bent double behind a hedge to get closer.  my wife suddenly left far behind me, had much the same expression...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a surprise earlier today while waiting at traffic lights to cross a bridge over the river in a village near me. 

There was a group of about a dozen house martins having a high old time flying around over the water, and as I watched, they were joined by a swift.

Quite early in the year for them all to appear, I don't think I've ever seen any in March before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I had a surprise earlier today while waiting at traffic lights to cross a bridge over the river in a village near me. 

There was a group of about a dozen house martins having a high old time flying around over the water, and as I watched, they were joined by a swift.

Quite early in the year for them all to appear, I don't think I've ever seen any in March before.

I have ... but it was in The Algarve!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Probably brought up by the very warm prevailing winds over the last couple of days. They are in for a bit of a shock when those winds turn round and start coming down from the Arctic over the weekend!!

• Like 1

Following the easing of lockdown, I’ve enjoyed visiting familiar places for the first time this year having spent lockdown walking from home. On a walk from Buttermere earlier in the week I saw a couple of squirrels and I think a wheatear.

image.jpeg.72383e002fa97a6161a67ac477c05e32.jpeg

Squirrel in Burtness Wood.

image.jpeg.2d4729d6898b79f764a86a3fca37fa6a.jpeg

Not sure who’s more curious.

image.jpeg.f5c2c1a7d5e92f40ae5c3d96dcf71657.jpeg

Is this a wheatear?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Following the easing of lockdown, I’ve enjoyed visiting familiar places for the first time this year having spent lockdown walking from home. On a walk from Buttermere earlier in the week I saw a couple of squirrels and I think a wheatear.

image.jpeg.72383e002fa97a6161a67ac477c05e32.jpeg

Squirrel in Burtness Wood.

image.jpeg.2d4729d6898b79f764a86a3fca37fa6a.jpeg

Not sure who’s more curious.

image.jpeg.f5c2c1a7d5e92f40ae5c3d96dcf71657.jpeg

Is this a wheatear?

I'm not sure if it's a wheatear but a chum spotted one on Rimrose Valley Country Park in urban Liverpool yesterday!  It's his photograph.

168369834_10159322673402803_1654746136232463962_n.thumb.jpg.cb3a4dd0348f3dc70036a8f931282d99.jpg

Photograph copyright and courtesy of Lee O'Brien

This is the park we are trying to save from destruction by Highways England.

• Like 4

A Roe deer on the walk to The Watches and Skiddaw this morning. I’ve seen a couple of pairs much closer to home when setting off early in the car but much better on the fells for taking a photo.

image.jpeg.13cc61afa7b048bbffd00763c58de15a.jpeg

Over lockdown the squirrel feeders have vanished  from Dodd Wood. I’d invariably see squirrels around the feeders but no sign of new feeders so far. And the Dodd Wood Osprey project isn’t able to function with telescopes/staff at the observation platforms because of COVID. I hear a couple of ospreys arrived at the end of March although it’s not clear if they are a pair.

It’s been a fabulous Easter in the Lake District and, with lockdown easing, chance to visit a number of special places with some Easter flowers. Here’s the replacement bridge across Buttermere Dubs which everyone walking around Buttermere or climbing the fells on the south side of Buttermere has to use.

image.jpeg.b8c1842a4c952ba5b61181d740ca2e31.jpeg

The bridge has been built up and hopefully would survive the flooding events that badly damaged the earlier bridge leading to its demolition.

image.jpeg.f3a958f3dbfe26888f3c1d2abbcd5c76.jpeg

Buttermere from the bridge.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very early and frosty walk today looking for a barn owl - which turned up but led me a merry dance, so I only got one photo.  I did see lots of linnets, very noisy and active oystercatchers and a yellowhammer. The lark below filled a whole frosty meadow with its song, perched proudly on a molehill...xOyVG80.png

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

First cuckoos heard yesterday in Nether Wasdale when spending the day rhodo bashing at a friend’s wood. Just checking I see it was the same day as last year although a different location. 

Saw four red deer on a recent walk high above Thirlmere off the beaten track near Ullscarf.

image.jpeg.a3789f246849fdb52eb8a10b8db25353.jpeg

I managed to get a little closer but could only catch the straggler pair bounding away.

image.jpeg.5d699b7c5790a84a9258011cf49b5dbf.jpeg

Always good to see traditional Lake District Herdwick sheep at lambing time.

image.jpeg.2347a0492bef281fae29f3baa386fc0a.jpeg

Another fabulous spring. Last year we were very much in lockdown with limited exercise. So it’s good this year to be able to enjoy the fells.

But we really need some rain - forest fires at Whinlatter on Friday although nothing on the scale of the Mountains of Mourne. We were very impressed with our one visit and it’s desperately sad to see the devastation.

• Like 7

I've been very lucky to see Dartford warblers on two occasions over the last week - never having seen one before at all. Quite a striking little bird.  Also came across a nest of adders in the dunes at Minsmere beach - all in different colour combinations... 

AkgCx5d.jpgKNKIciI.jpg

• Like 8