Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch/NatureWatch news

taxi4ballet

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks taxi4ballet. Not as intimidating when seen in profile (and on one leg) - at least to me if not for the song birds. Caught a fascinating description on Radio 4 of a kingfisher successfully evading a sparrowhawk.

image.jpeg.f6a8cc9a243a49ff65e073f0b253985c.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A Buttermere walk yesterday and enjoyed a private performance from two red squirrels, mainly a 10 minute solo but also an energetic PDD, and a surprise PD3. 

image.jpeg.78684430bba474d7991e175836946582.jpeg

Burtness Wood, Buttermere 

image.jpeg.c80fd5030e094aad9886f8b6712d29e5.jpeg

Very entertained for 10 minutes

image.jpeg.b0125d5af1362514488073edd174388a.jpeg

There was a second squirrel but I couldn’t photo both at the same time. But with the squirrel on the left of the tree on the right and on the ground there’s a nuthatch and great tit.

• Like 8

Saturday afternoon’s walk after a morning on the fells.

image.jpeg.e8ebb3566fab3b4933774bc04bf50543.jpeg

Managed just one photo of a squirrel in Dodd Wood.

image.jpeg.3875fa57748d58968479cc9347d34122.jpeg

Not much success with other wildlife photos but hoped this photo of St Bega’s church by Bassenthwaite Lake might be of interest. One mile from any road, the churchyard is a haven to wildlife, an idyllic place. Texel sheep add to the pastoral: Herdwicks or Swaledales would provide better local heritage but sadly their numbers are falling.

Edited by JohnS
Removed photo - I thought I’d already cut a 3rd photo.
  • Like 8

Here's a perky skylark from yesterday's walk at Dunwich.  There was a lot of excited twitcher action by the marshes - one group was watching a greater yellowlegs, and another an eastern yellow wagtail, both of which are apparently quite rare sights. I was hoping the yellowlegs would be more Malvolio-like than it proved, but the wagtail was a pretty little thing.  I got grainy pics of both, which will go into my business case for getting a longer lens...  

2rlzqms.jpg

• Like 5

I am in awe of your photographic talents on this thread - truly marvellous 😊

We had a black squirrel in our garden this morning, no picture though, sorry. My husband was going out of the back gate and it suddenly appeared out of the bushes and ran off at high speed. 

• Like 3

Cold and windy walking around Buttermere this morning but managed to see a couple of squirrels.

image.jpeg.fae4e15336ddbb23a777c0f267b715ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.4574fe945bc009b2e25b65c71e00d5de.jpeg

image.jpeg.31d06a9d9d784afe0102ef679a9ae80a.jpeg

The two chased each other around the tree for ages and I was pleased to find I’d got a photo with both of them. A bit of sunshine would have been welcome for warmth and the photos but very good to be out. I didn’t see anyone walking round the lake until back in Buttermere.

• Like 7

We were wandering round Dunwich heath a few days ago and saw a rather parrot-like silhouette atop a fir tree. It turned out to be a crossbill, a bird I've never seen before.  Bizarre looking beast, like a chaffinch that's flown face first into a window :D

Y217goO.png

• Like 7

First real frost this Autumn/Winter but not on the Buttermere fellside. Couldn’t resist a photo of this Herdwick ram, all set to make his mark. The ewes didn’t seem very interested.

image.jpeg.81086a8110055f489c107c6eecda5559.jpeg

Nor a more familiar siting in Burtness Wood.

image.jpeg.55db73537c1f930ced952a2b907c6128.jpeg

• Like 3

That's one hench ram John, he thinks he's a lion!   I'd been for a river walk a couple of days ago (saw a seal but not much else) and on the way back stopped on a whim at a common I'd often passed.  Suddenly two beautiful fallow deer popped out of the scrub and bounced across my path. Managed to grab the shot below, though had the deer been more courteous it would have paused and let me increase my ISO speed.  Shortly after, a small dog in a red coat appeared, which explained their flight. Never did see that dog's owner!

aGczx3H.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New year - still the same joy in seeing a squirrel.

image.jpeg.8112676acfe7b3b522fea716290bf22b.jpeg

Dodd Wood after a fabulous walk in the snow, including Skiddaw. Needed micro spikes for the lower frozen paths but fresh snow above 2,000 feet, not yet compacted, and no real need for spikes. Very pleased to have kept them on as Dodd was very icy. It seemed slightly uncomfortable being able to walk with ease on the ice with everyone else, very gingerly making their way as best they could.

• Like 6

On our last trip to Minsmere before the lockdown (can't travel that far now), we saw nothing much of interest - but then returned to find about thirty redwings in the garden.  I've just ordered a pop-up hide so that I can lurk in the garden and get close to some of our regulars.  I've just repurposed the Xmas tree with fat-ball decorations and it's getting its first visitors..

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 7