taxi4ballet

Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch news

Not to mention the "incremental weather"!  Got to love autocorrect, I guess :)  

Changing the subject slightly, we seem to be very short on ladybirds this year.  Anyone else found that?

• Like 1

Yes although I saw one of those invasive harlequin ones on some dead flowers in my dustbin just now.

Oops, inclement weather. We never had a spring going from harsh winter weather to very hot, dry days. 

I alwats think pheasants are dizzy. They stand on the verge waiting for vehicles to approach then dash out into the road, rush backwards and forwards then suddenly remember they can fly so with a lot of fuss take off to land feet away on opposite verge.    

• Like 1

Ha ha Jane a  very apt description of some of the pheasants I see!! 😀😀 Sometimes when in the car we have to slow down and are sort of following them down the road tentatively hoping they don't do anything too crazy!!🙃🙃

• Like 1

This chap flew into our window and is currently recovering in a dark box, I'm hoping there's no damage other than a headache.. He's 'got up' and is sitting on his feet now, so fingers crossed.

Update:  after a half hour rest, he flew off looking perfectly healthy. Glad my son got to him before the cat.

FjuyGsH.jpg

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 5

Gorgeous looking bird is it in the Finch family?

We've had a few stunned starlings in our time....all recovered...well as far as I know! 

This happens often when magpies come into a group and they all fly off in different directions including the window unfortunately.

Thanks for the info ...there are some finches because we never see them around here who I never get sorted out! 

Is it the Haw Finch who is very pink in colour?

24 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is it the Haw Finch who is very pink in colour

I'm not sure I'd say hawfinches were pink - biggest finch, huge bill, tan head, grey nape, buff/grey underside.  Perhaps the pink you have in mind might be a female bullfinch?

I think like John that it's a male bullfinch.  We get a few chaffinches but this was the first bullfinch we've had in the garden. He was laying on the mat just inside the glass door with his legs in the air, and just twenty feet or so from our sleeping cat, so it was his lucky day!  Said cat is not in my good books as he killed a stoat a few days ago; a beautiful creature and one that was keeping the rabbits down.

Beautiful Bullfinch, one of my favourite birds. I remember gazing at one in the garden as a child ,holding a bird book in hand and thus identifying it!

• Like 1

Oh naughty pussy cat Quintus but I suppose they can't help it.

About two years ago I was driving along a very narrow lane near Ditchling in Sussex when suddenly a weasel ran into,the lane with a dead mouse /vole in its mouth!! The only time I've ever seen a weasel. 

I think stoats are bigger than weasels so am surprised a cat would go for one!

A very welcome visitor - a barn owl most mornings is quartering the field at the back, sometimes for a couple of hours and as late as 10:30.  Makes for a very leisurely breakfast occasionally merging into coffee.

• Like 1

What a gorgeous little Robin....and a fab piccie!

This looks a bit like the bolder Robin in our garden who perches on a branch really close to the bedroom window and glares  in with that "where's the food then" look! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

It's all go on the bird front round here, I heard a cuckoo this morning :)

Yesterday I was treated to the sight of a sparrowhawk dispatching its prey on my neighbour's drive - I've never seen one so close up before. Don't know what it had caught, but it looked pretty big, and I was astounded when the sparrowhawk managed to fly off clutching it.

• Like 1

I heard one this morning too, taxi; first time in years I’ve heard a cuckoo here!  Very pleased.  

The Magpies are back too though and one tried to attack our recently fledged blackbird.  Fortunately DH chased the magpie away and young Master Blackbird only lost a few feathers. 😳

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We've had a pileated woodpecker visit the bird feeder a few times this year. Compared with the other birds we've seen, he's enormous (according to an online source, these things are 16 to 19 inches long). When he shows up, most of the other birds make themselves scarce. This is a photo I found; we didn't have the camera nearby.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Melody
  • Like 5

My darling little gold finches and their families have been visiting our garden over the past ten days or so. They are so beautiful and love our yew tree. I was closing my daughter’s bedroom window which is really big and a gold finch alighted on the bough nearest the window. It magnified the finch and I had a really good close up view of it. It was lovely and really special.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Melody said:

We've had a pileated woodpecker visit the bird feeder a few times this year. Compared with the other birds we've seen, he's enormous (according to an online source, these things are 16 to 19 inches long). When he shows up, most of the other birds make themselves scarce. This is a photo I found; we didn't have the camera nearby.

Capture.JPG

Imagining they must be very loud when doing their pecking. We have some perfectly round holes in an oak tree and funnily enough a deaf neighbour who struggles to hear conversation can always hear the woodpeckers working away on their holes. 

• Like 1

It can be pretty loud when they get going at the trees, although when they're at the feeder they're attacking a lump of suet, which is at least quiet. The real noise comes from the titmice and chickadees, which help themselves to sunflower seeds from the other feeder (not the suet) and then spend ages happily bashing the seeds to pieces on the metal railing just outside the window.

Magpies have such beautiful markings...  (Photographed this morning on Rimrose Valley Country Park)

fullsizeoutput_30a5.jpeg

• Like 5

Ooh, I'm pretty certain I heard a cuckoo this morning.  In South London, no less :) 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't like to be too near that woodpeckers beak! 

Inspite of their occasional raiding of nests .....often a robin or blackbirds 😢😢 I do like to see magpies in the garden too. 

They get their come uppance when the crow arrives.....who seem enormous in a garden context and soon frighten off the magpies. 

Jackdaws can hold their own against them too.

"Our" starlings are busy feeding the chicks in the box and now you can hear them chittering away when one of the adults arrives at the box  I guess will be about ten days or so now to fledging. 

I'm very much hoping to hear a cuckoo next week when we are going to the very beautiful ( but hilly) Leonardslee Gardens ( near Horsham) as it opened last weekend for the first time in about eight years after a change of owner closed the Gardens to the public and now another change of owner has them open again. Every time I've gone there in the past I've heard a cuckoo. This time of the year the azaleas there are terrific and there is a lovely wild bluebell wood full of birdsong ( first time I heard  a garden warbler there) so early May is a good time to go!! 

Sometimes some collared doves which usually have a three note "song" a bit like ke-KOO-ku however occasionally they just do the Ke- KOO bit and so might be mistaken for a cuckoo although the cuckoo has a much more bright  upbeat sound to its song.

Although our very singy Robin isn't nesting in our garden he ( and she) are now very regularly coming to the feeders and taking food away....mostly the currents or oats. The singy one is very tame and if there's no food will perch right outside the window and look in as if to say " well where is it then" 

Edited by LinMM

We saw a woodpecker on my friend’s bird feeder yesterday evening!

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:30, LinMM said:

Sometimes some collared doves which usually have a three note "song" a bit like ke-KOO-ku however occasionally they just do the Ke- KOO bit and so might be mistaken for a cuckoo although the cuckoo has a much more bright  upbeat sound to its song.

Actually, I'm wondering if that was what I heard ...