Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch news

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I had a surprise earlier today while waiting at traffic lights to cross a bridge over the river in a village near me. 

There was a group of about a dozen house martins having a high old time flying around over the water, and as I watched, they were joined by a swift.

Quite early in the year for them all to appear, I don't think I've ever seen any in March before.

I have ... but it was in The Algarve!

• Like 1
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I had a surprise earlier today while waiting at traffic lights to cross a bridge over the river in a village near me. 

There was a group of about a dozen house martins having a high old time flying around over the water, and as I watched, they were joined by a swift.

Quite early in the year for them all to appear, I don't think I've ever seen any in March before.

Probably brought up by the very warm prevailing winds over the last couple of days. They are in for a bit of a shock when those winds turn round and start coming down from the Arctic over the weekend!!

• Like 1

Following the easing of lockdown, I’ve enjoyed visiting familiar places for the first time this year having spent lockdown walking from home. On a walk from Buttermere earlier in the week I saw a couple of squirrels and I think a wheatear.

image.jpeg.72383e002fa97a6161a67ac477c05e32.jpeg

Squirrel in Burtness Wood.

image.jpeg.2d4729d6898b79f764a86a3fca37fa6a.jpeg

Not sure who’s more curious.

image.jpeg.f5c2c1a7d5e92f40ae5c3d96dcf71657.jpeg

Is this a wheatear?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Following the easing of lockdown, I’ve enjoyed visiting familiar places for the first time this year having spent lockdown walking from home. On a walk from Buttermere earlier in the week I saw a couple of squirrels and I think a wheatear.

image.jpeg.72383e002fa97a6161a67ac477c05e32.jpeg

Squirrel in Burtness Wood.

image.jpeg.2d4729d6898b79f764a86a3fca37fa6a.jpeg

Not sure who’s more curious.

image.jpeg.f5c2c1a7d5e92f40ae5c3d96dcf71657.jpeg

Is this a wheatear?

I'm not sure if it's a wheatear but a chum spotted one on Rimrose Valley Country Park in urban Liverpool yesterday!  It's his photograph.

168369834_10159322673402803_1654746136232463962_n.thumb.jpg.cb3a4dd0348f3dc70036a8f931282d99.jpg

Photograph copyright and courtesy of Lee O'Brien

This is the park we are trying to save from destruction by Highways England.

• Like 5

Many thanks Jan. I think male wheatears have grey uppers and females have brown uppers but I’m very unsure about the bird in my photo: I’ve never knowingly seen a wheatear.

A Roe deer on the walk to The Watches and Skiddaw this morning. I’ve seen a couple of pairs much closer to home when setting off early in the car but much better on the fells for taking a photo.

image.jpeg.13cc61afa7b048bbffd00763c58de15a.jpeg

Over lockdown the squirrel feeders have vanished  from Dodd Wood. I’d invariably see squirrels around the feeders but no sign of new feeders so far. And the Dodd Wood Osprey project isn’t able to function with telescopes/staff at the observation platforms because of COVID. I hear a couple of ospreys arrived at the end of March although it’s not clear if they are a pair.

It’s been a fabulous Easter in the Lake District and, with lockdown easing, chance to visit a number of special places with some Easter flowers. Here’s the replacement bridge across Buttermere Dubs which everyone walking around Buttermere or climbing the fells on the south side of Buttermere has to use.

image.jpeg.b8c1842a4c952ba5b61181d740ca2e31.jpeg

The bridge has been built up and hopefully would survive the flooding events that badly damaged the earlier bridge leading to its demolition.

image.jpeg.f3a958f3dbfe26888f3c1d2abbcd5c76.jpeg

Buttermere from the bridge.

• Like 5