Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch/NatureWatch news

taxi4ballet

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Six roe deer (only the snout of the sixth) on Grange Fell when climbing Ether Knott, high above Watendlath. First time on Ether Knott - well away from the main Grange Fell summits and normally very wet under foot but the Lake District is still incredibly dry so very little risk of wet boots today.

image.jpeg.2c197fc9c3fab1fbaa1368f298e50f0d.jpeg

• Like 5

• alison changed the title to Any cuckoos out there? ... and other BirdWatch/NatureWatch news

Squirrel in Burtness Woods, Buttermere busy collecting and burying nuts yesterday lunchtime - kept me entertained.

image.jpeg.dcd0f3fbb15f21f2d121cb098676006f.jpeg

Yellowhammer on the lower fell side above Crummock Water.

image.jpeg.805802366ebfb285b94a623ee85804ba.jpeg

Proper snow on Skiddaw earlier in the week - even better with blue sky and sunshine.

image.jpeg.60681c45b191024ead87aa71e065517c.jpeg

• Like 5

It’s years since I’ve seen a yellowhammer! 
When I first moved here just outside Brighton over 20 years ago now 😳 we used to see quite a few skylarks yellowhammers and linnets up on the Downs (about 4 mins walk from our house) in the days when we walked across the Downs to Lewes ( with a very nice pub at the end of the steep descent into Kingston)  
But sadly there has been a decline in these birds in recent years though a neighbour told us she had heard skylarks back up there last week! If I hear any I will try and record and send here. 

• Like 3

One swallow doesn't make a summer - how about two and a sand martin?

gSqWUGU.png

And a three bits of avocet fluff with their mum, who was defending vigorously against all comers, including a huge goose!

RHCS6YZ.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have this extraordinarily tame robin at the moment and he is the first robin to come right onto my hand to take these tiny kitten biscuits he seems to like ❤️  He was just coming to the back bedroom window every morning and staring in if there were none in the dish outside but now has got bolder. When we are in the garden he comes right over to demand pots being moved to get the insects underneath. 
Now he’s worked out if he comes to the front lounge window on the other side of the house he can get us to go to the back to give him food ...he flies over the roof and there he is waiting by the back window! 
I say it’s a “he” because I’ve seen him fly up into our tallest tree and start singing and I’m not sure if the females sing? 
The other day we were sitting in the front room in the early evening watching the TV when who should fly in from the back bedroom but Robbin/bobbin (what we call him) He flew around the room already with a biscuit in beak and as we started to open windows for him to get out etc ...he just went back out the way he had come in! 
I swear he had just come in to see what we were up to! 
I will try to get a piccie of him ...he’s definitely got us wrapped around his little claw that’s for sure. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, alison said:

Does bashing the wretched things actually work?  I'd have thought the bashing tool might be at risk of bouncing back off and hitting the basher!

I think ‘rhodo bashing’ just means clearing the rhododendrons using loppers and saw when the rhodos are too thick. National Trust and other conservation groups publicise ‘rhodo bashing’ events for volunteers but I don’t think it’s supposed to be taken literally. The only bashing I do would be to shake the water off but I find I’m as likely to get drenched in one go rather than by gentler if incessant dripping. There is something very satisfying in seeing an area cleared of rhodos, the rhodos in neat piles drying out for a couple of years, native trees liberated from the grip of 40+ foot invasive species, and the ground quickly regenerating. And even better when some bashing opens up views of Wastwater and the Wasdale valley, with Great Gable and the Scafells at the head.

• Like 3

The second brood of wrens in our garden should be fledging any day now. And in other news, there's a great toad living in our shed. I tried to catch it and usher it outside earlier, but it resisted all my attempts. They can't half move fast when they want to!

• Like 7

We didn't get any swallows in our stables this year, but an enterprising wren has converted one of their mud nests and extended it with moss. We won't tell the planning officer..  

I got lucky visiting Minsmere the other week on a day when they were running a bittern survey, radioing sightings and movements between wardens in the hides. I'd never managed to spot one before, but eavesdropping the wardens that day I managed to see five!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

We had a trip to Bempton Cliffs near Bridlington today and were stunned by the seabirds - puffins, guillemots, fulmars, razorbills, and the gannets below.  We've had Swan Lake - isn't it time for Gannet Cliff? I see the corps as herrings, with scaly tutus.

b6MAe6O.jpg

• Like 11

• 6 months later...

Last night we watched Winterwatch, and it prompted me to check the trailcam I'd put in a stable to try and locate a rogue mouse.  We were thrilled to find it had captured this clip of a stoat, just after watching the same beastie on TV!  I had it kindly confirmed as a stoat rather than a weasel on Twitter by queen of the beanie, Megan McCubbin.

stoat clip on youtube

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I saw my first jack snipe yesterday at Minsmere.  Phenomenally well camouflaged - took me (and others) several minutes to see it even when it was pointed out.  It did bob very briefly, but clearly you need to be a Springwatch presenter to get the full display!

• Like 7

I've been surprised and impressed to see so many birds on my feeders which are currently swinging wildly and often sitting horizontally in the gale. ..some very remarkable bird acrobatics from my sparrows, goldfinches and greenfinches - perhaps they've been watching the Olympics. But, the smaller birds like blue tits and great tits seem to be hiding. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mary said:

I've been surprised and impressed to see so many birds on my feeders which are currently swinging wildly and often sitting horizontally in the gale. ..some very remarkable bird acrobatics from my sparrows, goldfinches and greenfinches - perhaps they've been watching the Olympics. But, the smaller birds like blue tits and great tits seem to be hiding. 

Your blue tits and great tits are all in my garden!  I've never seen so many at one time, all jockeying for position on the feeders which are swinging wildly, like yours.

• Like 3

We had numerous tits either determined to hang onto feeders or couldn’t actually leave because of wind. Blackbirds and robins missing yesterday but back noisily this morning. 
We watched our local buzzards trying desperately to get across field to their nesting area, they eventually gave up and went back into cover of trees. Haven’t seen them yet today so hoping they survived. 
Our hedgehog feeding stations were visited overnight, hope your visitor was ok @shade

We had a power cut and the overwintering juvenile hog that is still indoors was out very early to fed and rampage. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Look who I met today.  No sign of Baldric though.

aQy0B6Z.jpg

That’s fantastic. We’ve seen newts last few days, it seems so cold still but sun must be strong enough to warm them into action. 

• Like 2