tips to help with sweaty feet!!

mimi'smom

Ok DD will probably disown me for posting this but has anyone got any top tips to help with the problem of sweaty feet? Even after a 30 min lesson dancing in bare feet they are literally dripping and after an hour's ballet class in socks and ballet shoes - well, she leaves wet footmarks like she has just stepped out of the shower!! The awful nylon ballet socks don't help but I have searched in vain for pink cotton ballet socks. She is starting at Elmhurst in September and they have to have ballet socks as opposed to tights for the first term at least. I dread to think what a whole morning of dance will result in! :P

Any ideas gratefully received (by me, dance teacher and dance classmates!!) :D

I dont think there is anything you can do about it, some people sweat more than others. I think it is a medical condition, do her hands also sweat a lot. I must say though, my dds ballet shoes absolutely pong and I mean pong. If she leaves them in her bedroom then the whole room reaks to high heaven. On a serious note though, I wouldnt go on too much to your dd about her sweaty feet just incase she becomes overly worried about it when she first goes away to vocational school.I would make sure she understands the importance of washing and drying her feet properly and also the importance of drying out her ballet shoes.

• Like 2

I just googled "cotton socks for women pink" - and quite a few came up.

Nylon will definitely exacerbate the problem.

Also is she allowed to wear canvas slippers? That might be better than leather.

• Like 1

All dancers feet sweat a lot in ballet shoes but I haven't come across anything like you describe. Your poor DD must find it distressing. You can get liquid high strength antiperspirant for feet. My husband uses something called Perspirex or something like that, on his feet in summer at work where he has to wear thick socks and heavy boots. It's been a while since he bought it though so not sure if it's still available. Have a look in Boots and ask the pharmacist.

I also know a friend who had a problem with excessive underarm sweating and she had botox injections in her armpits to stop the sweating. I think you can also have some kind of electric current water therapy that works as well. Google 'hyperhidrosis'.

Thanks Anjuli think I was probably searching too narrowly for ballet socks. She currently wears canvas ballet shoes for the school's prevocational programme so hopefully she will be able to continue to wear them in September. Primrose it does seem to be just her feet that sweat so profusely and always have, even when she was quite young.

Does anyone know of any products that may help?

Thanks Ribbons - will definately look into both of those suggestions! Fortunately at 11 she isn't self conscious about it at all and we do have a routine here at home of showering her feet down after dancing - just hope she remembers to do it when I'm not there reminding her! Thanks again x

Also is she allowed to wear canvas slippers? That might be better than leather.

I agree! My DD had seriously smelly feet in the past. Her ballet shoes really were horrendously stinky and we tried all kinds of foot and shoe deodorants to no avail. After advice on the old forum (probably from Anjuli!) we switched to canvas and the problem has almost completely disappeared. It might not be as effective for your DD given that she has problems in bare feet but I think it's worth a go if she is allowed. And at least you can wash canvas - not repeatedly it's true, but I find I can get away with one or two washes per pair before they shrink too much or fall apart.

Sorry - you posted whilst I was typing and I see you are already using canvas. I'll leave my post though just in case it's of value to anyone else.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 1

On a completely side note....

I had a cat who just loved to snuggle down into my yukky wet old pointe shoes which I had de-shanked and wore to regular ballet class.

I thought cats were finnicky -

• Like 3

Hi :)

My non DD has hyperhydrosis and suffers badly with her hands, arm pits and feet. At 13, and very active in sports, it really did dominate her life.

Then she was advised to try Anhydrol forte and it's really helped. It's available at the chemist for a few pounds without prescription and looks like a regular roll on deodorant. But it is amazing! You put is on at night and wash off in the morning - use for 2 days then leave off for 2.

You need to be careful though and moisturise the skin as it can cause the skin to crack if used too much.

You can also get a powder which our gp prescribed but this wasn't strong enough for non DD.

We also decided to get the plates from Iontocentre. You place your hands or feet in and have had good results with no noticeable side effects :)

Feel free to pm me or if your daughter has questions - I can ask my daughter - it's hard for them to talk about - I didn't realise it was a medical condition until my osteopath noticed her hands were sweaty in winter and asked her about it - she suffered from the condition and was keen to help.

I'd just laughed it off prior to this telling my daughter it was just the way she was - she'd always had sweaty feet as a baby - she then opened up about how horrible it was not wanting to hold anyone's hand etc and I felt awful!!

Anyway, hope something in this ramble helps :D

• Like 1

Thank you so much Just Ballet I'll go and see if I can pick up some Anhydrol forte for her tomorrow and give that a try. My gut reaction is my GP won't take it seriously so over the counter stuff will be a great place to start. Thanks too for the kind offer of pming you with any more questions xx

Hi Angela, this is a not to uncommon problem and one which one of my DD's has. School are great, take it seriously and will refer her to the GP, so she can have prescriptions for the Anhydrol forte. Drill it into her that as soon as she finished dance to change into her white cotton socks, sometimes at the beginning of y7 they are unsure of what to do. Also get her to alternate her canvas ballet shoes so they dry out properly, so when she does evening dance, don't use the same pair of ballet shoes. I order canvas shoes from the bloch shop which have an antibacterial lining, don't know if it helps, but they don't appear to smell! For her trainers, the open mesh type are much cooler for their feet, whilst still giving good support for them during the day. Hope this helps!

Just ballet, I am interested in the plates, would you mind sharing the info?

NL

Many thanks

NL

DD doesn't have this problem but I do!! However magically solved by Mycil foot powder (Blue and yellow container) -it is for Athletes foot-which I don't have but it seems to work for sweaty feet!

Hi NL

No problem, we got the plates from here:

http://www.iontocentre.com/iontophoresis/index.html

They are really helpful - rang up and spent about 30 mins on the phone with me as i knew nothing about them. They also do a 3 month guarantee - if they don't help with the problem, you can return for a refund - which is great given the cost!

We went for the £325 model with the addition of under arm pads. Non DD saw a difference after about 10 days, so would definitely recommend it. She's now slipped back in her use of it and needs to start again, but once you get to the "maintenance stage" you can use use once a week for 10-15 mins to keep sweat at bay.

Non DD was offered a course of treatment with the plates on the NHS, but it meant travelling quite far to the nearest surgery that had them, and the initial use is about 3 time a week and it meant time out of school so we opted to but instead. There was also a waiting list of about 2 months...

It's certainly transformed the life of my osteopath who has to touch people daily and couldn't do it with sweaty palms!!

Hope this helps

Sheila x