Puberty - and associated Female Problems...

irishballetmom

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very worrying about the stick insect fashion. No wonder there are so many eating disorders and also so many dancers who smoke....

Smoking. Yes. I started smoking while a dancer when I was 20.Some bright spark suggested I start as it suppresses appetite. It worked. But I ended up completely addicted and smoking 30 roll ups a day. Thank God,I stopped completely 11 years ago and never went back on them. But the weight gain,jeez.!

• Like 2

I was shocked not so long ago when a parent on this forum compared childrens sizes. These young beautiful dancers get battered from all sides. When they are already thin and then they hear negativity about size, they have to be strong, very strong and rise above it all. To survive in the dance world takes a very strong emotional mind. They can have all the qualities required to be a dancer, but without that strong emotional brain, they won't survive.

• Like 13

The funny thing about DD is she is very fit from the dancing and very very slim.... I'd worry about her slimness except I know she eats us out of house and home and has a huge sweet tooth... I know her great metabolism could change, mine certainly did when I was in my 20s, but I never want her to use food to try and contol chest size, that is beyond her control and would result in very unhealthy thinking. It is so wrong to compare children's sizes, they need to follow their dreams as far as they can without those subjective thoughts of others creeping in to their thinking. Auditions for schools or performance opportunities will knock them back enough I am sure!

• Like 1

I find it quite sad that on another non dance related forum whilst giving advice on how to measure a teen for a bra & possible stockists for small back sizes I was asked if I was concerned about my 13 year old Dds size (28D)

She's developed a bit earlier than some of her peers but thats not at all big, I've seen 13 year olds who are much bigger than her.

• Like 2

All these emotions settle down when everyone else starts developing. It's worse for anyone who wears a uniform of a leotard everyday, but kids who aren't dancers go through this phase or transition into an adult body. At school even being one of the oldest in the year, I was one of the last ones to develop. I felt that I wasn't part of the club and I was desperate for breasts and periods. Genetically my daughter took after me but on the paternal side, they have a generous supply of booby rubbies????on the maternal side a famine, nothing????

• Like 1

Being new to ballet world as I think of it has been such an eye opener for me. DD had first ever audition for Mid Associates Royal Ballet and we found that she was by far the tallest in her audition class - 5ft 3 for attempt at yr 8 MA .My DD said afterwards 'I hope i don't grow any taller' as she obviously couldn't help but notice all the other little girls seemed much shorter but after the 'no'' she's very upbeat though and wants to try again as she enjoyed audition so much.  The more I go along with her obsession the more I worry! I said I couldn't really advise her on height and age and balllet other than tell her how gorgeous she is and I make her laugh by saying that if she gets really tall with a body like hers she could model which makes her giggle!  I guess that all of us mum's are worrying about different things but all our DD's are beautiful -  its just that they have chosen a really tough world to want to be part of.   I think irishballetmom your DD is incredibly elegant and gorgeous in profile picture!

• Like 1

It's a difficult time for them without a doubt and as long as we teach children to be respectful of one other and appreciate we all come in different shapes and sizes. All we can do is support them during these difficult times and listen to their worries, my dd is nearly 12 and tiny, 4ft 6- her friends tower over her and she's desperate to grow, we keep telling her the time will come and to be content with how she is now. Growing up is so hard!

Singing4dancers, my DD is 15 and has been a 28D for the last 3 years, she's 4' 11'' and is dwarfed by all her friends (both at Ballet & school).

She was very upset when her bust developed, almost overnight, and she suddenly hated all her leotards as they didn't offer any support.  Thankfully her teacher allowed her to wear the grown up ballet that the older girls had as their uniform (with a really supportive shelf) - as her group would be moving to it at the next level - just by commenting that it was a bit faded looking and if I was thinking of replacing it that it would probably be best to 'just get the next style'.  - We'd had a conversation beforehand and agreed on this approach -  so that it didn't become a question in class for DD from the other girls!

Now everyone else in her various groups has developed a bust and she doesn't feel as self conscious.  Although she's still obsession about her lack of height, but there's nothing we can do about that one - I'm only 5' 2'' and 'a wee bit' (which is Very important!!!) and her dad is 5' 10'' so she's unlikely to be a giant.

So Irishballetmom please tell your DD not to worry about it - dancers come in all shapes and sizes, and there are so many pretty leotards which offer great support that she never needs to feel uncomfortable. :)

• Like 4

I am going to throw an odd ball, and a word for the flat chested, sorry, - apart from genetics, of course, in those who do sport or dance phisycal development tends to be strogly influenced by the intensity of traing (i.e. hours put in, amount of workload and difficulty level). You see that in athlets training from young age - there are tons of research on how elite (i e high intensity) training regime slows down physical development in girls: swimmers, gymnasts, all sorts high performers - their chests develop later, their periods come later etc. etc. I'm sure ballerinas in vocational training would come into this category as well.

I have seen how this effects dancing and sport kids - many 10-11-12 year old girls, when injured, fall out of the gruelling training regime only for a few weeks, and all of a sudden start growing chests, bottoms or hips. Or come back from summer holidays and, whoa, they've holidayed into young ladies! :) Once back to intensive training, some slow down. Some don't.

So, flat chested is not a fashion - it seems to me more a result of intensive training. Me thinks, ladies, never mind kids - if we'd put the same amout of time into dancing/fitness, as professional dancers do, we'd all be as flat as ironing boards (dream on!) :D

• Like 1

Just in the same way as there would be uproar if someone criticised young DD's with a bust I have to say that the thought of my DD being called a stick insect appalls me 

Stick insects meaning looking way too thin, and I have seen dancers that look like this.  I was sitting in the rear stalls watching a Mariinsky performance of Giselle and using opera glasses.  I had to stop using them in the end because the leading dancer was so painfully thin I couldn't bear to watch her in close-up.

This conversation is about chest sizes and not hips or waist sizes and so does absolutely imply that 'flat chested' girls can be referenced as stick insects.  These are girls and women who, whether due to genetic factors or intense training do not develop large busts.  The implication here is that women are open to criticism from all sides....

I was only talking about my daughters insecurities about a growing chest I certainly wouldn't think anyone who is flat chested is a stick insect. These girls work hard and I think they look great! They could probably outlast some guys in endurance and strength. Ballet is not for the weak!

• Like 2

This conversation is about chest sizes and not hips or waist sizes and so does absolutely imply that 'flat chested' girls can be referenced as stick insects.  These are girls and women who, whether due to genetic factors or intense training do not develop large busts.  The implication here is that women are open to criticism from all sides....

I was more under the impression that the thread started out about a young girl feeling insecure about changes to her body that happened to be a bust.  I personally do not care what someone's shape is but I do care if people are obviously too thin and I mean obviously rather than a natural build.  I think, on the whole, that this thread has been very supportive and has offered useful suggestions and my initial post was merely indicating that I would rather see people who are not too thin whether they have a bust or not.

• Like 4

I could have just as easily joined in with the earlier part of the conversation regarding my other DD who has a beautiful curvy shape at a young age which may well be one of the reasons WL have not chosen to take her.  However it is the unpleasant way that 'stick insect' is used to describe girls when they may be naturally flat chested or lacking body fat due to the intense regime of their vocational school or ballet company that makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I wasn't using stick insect in that context and I did describe myself as a ballet-watcher rather than a student watcher.  I have seen people in all walks of life who remind me of stick insects - ie are way too thin regardless of their shape.

• Like 3

Nancy,my daughter was 10/11 years when she started her periods.She wore black knitted warm up shorts over her leotard when needed,to camoflage wearing a pad.She has only started using tampons in the last year or so at the age of 15/16 which obviously is much more convenient where shows or exams are concerned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this one but was delighted to see periods being mentioned. DD is not developing much yet (slender and flat-chested but will be 12 in Oct), but recently I sent her to the bathroom to do what we called 'The Tampon Trial' :blink:  She was in tears at the prospect but I left her to it and eventually she reappeared, saying "I've done it and it was DISGUSTING". It was only so that she wouldn't have a panic if she started just before ballet or swimming. My niece started hers at 11, and my sister-in-law told me how it was just before swim squad and she found herself locked out of the bathroom with her daughter having a full tantrum inside about being told she was going to have to insert a tampon or miss swimming. Her mother remarked how she had a young woman's body but the tantrum was more reminiscent of a toddler! So I have been telling DD for a while that she needs to be prepared. Apparently she is the only one of her friends who has done this. As my mother just handed me an old-fashioned book that didn't know tampons had been invented, I'm trying to do a better job with my daughters, but it's hard work!

My Mum made me do the 'tampon trial' I was boarding at vocational school so she made me do it one summer holiday.

Luckily she did as I went back to school in September and started my first weekend back.

I think she left it a bit late though as I was 14! It was no big deal though as I felt prepared because of my practise.

Am planning on doing the same with my DD.

• Like 1