Random injuries before exams and auditions

annaliesey

Dd is a bit unlucky sometimes just before an exam or audition. A few months ago she went to a birthday party at a gym and sprained Her ankle two days before her audition at tring

Today she managed the most random injury an hour before taking a modern exam!

I have a sewing machine that needs a repair and its tucked away under my dressing table in my bedroom. She sat at the dressing table to do her hair before setting off for the exam. Somehow she managed to poke her big toe under the sewing machine needle footer and the foot lift came down resulting in needle penetrating through her toe nail and part way into her toe through the nail!!

Quite a few tears but she insisted on having a plaster and paracetamol and did her exam!

Please tell me this isn't just us that has random injuries right before exams or auditions?!

Oh no! I hope she managed to dance ok?

My dd always seems to get an asthma flare up and chest infection near exams...... And she had a fracture in bone in lower leg just prior to a big dance event last year.....

Hope this makes you feel better. .... But she has never managed anything as sophisticated as the sewing machine trick!!!

• Like 1

Oh I do feel for her and I understand her pain. I am known for being able to injure myself in strange ways and I once managed to sew straight through my finger (through the nail as well) with my sewing machine. I was so surprised that I'd even been able to do it that I hardly noticed the pain at first.

I have also had a really odd accident where I got myself trapped by both hands stuck between the rungs of a loft ladder with my own ( not inconciderable) weight keeping them stuck there and no one else home to help me out.

I also once had a really nasty mishap by vaccuming up the scarf I was wearing in the Dyson but it's hard to explain just how it scared me as it got got so tight that it left bruising on my neck and it took me a while to reach the off switch! There are a few more but I wouldn't want to make you all think I'm clumsy!

• Like 3

Oh thank goodness it's not just my Ds! He cut open his shin before one audition, had a chair pulled from under him at school and cracked his head before another auditon. Did a leap when practicing for his dance schools christmas show went over on his ankle and did another auditon with a totally black foot...luckily it didn't hurt!!

• Like 1

She was absolutely fine though I suspect she'll have an impressive bruise! :)

Sarahw hope your dd danced ok or did she miss out with fracture?

Alongfortheridemum I've known people sew through their fingers .. Yeugh! Luckily I've never managed that!

Dyson injury sounds pretty darn scarey .. Note to self to remove that from range next time!

What a crazy bunch we are!!

I do wonder if some people are always going to be a bit unlucky!!

• Like 1

If you think they're all unlucky...

A friend of mine was performing as Dame in a panto a few years ago and fell down some steps offstage just after the opening scene. He slipped a disc and was laid completely flat out, totally unable to move. The understudy had to go on, each time wearing a bit more of the costume as we prised it slowly off him piece by piece.

He was taken to hospital on a spinal board, still wearing bright yellow tights, a body stocking with giant false boobs, a wig and tons of make-up - he said afterwards that the comments he got in A & E from the doctors and nurses had to be heard to be believed!!!

• Like 13

When I was working as a dancer in a summer season at Great Yarmouth, trying to earn a bit of money for a change, I came home to my bedsit, pealed an orange and left the knife on the bed. When I sat down the weight sort of tiddlywinked the knife into my behind! I managed to pull it out, and ran through the streets at midnight to the A & E. Sadly everyone there found it hilariously funny when I informed them that I had sat on a knife! I couldn't sit down properly for two weeks after they stitched me up and one of the dances involved sitting and standing in time to the music, which was as you can imagine very uncomfortable!

• Like 6

That takes me back to a memory of my mother making a red tutu for me about aged 10. She was on the phone but piles of net on the floor and me jumping around as usual. Managed to land on a needle which went right through my big toe and out the other side. Not sure how it happened but still remember my mum having to leave mid phone call and pulling the needle out my toe. I think I was a bit in shock by the sight at the time but no major damage done. I was more careful with shoes after that though!

• Like 3

its definitely not just your dd!

ive shut my hand in a car door half an hour before going on stage at a festival, been hit in the face with a lacrosse ball two days before a show (had to wear alot of makeup to cover that one up ;) ) fallen down the stairs two days before my pe moderation, had a person dropped on me a week before thier alevel dance exam which i was dancing in and faceplanted a bar at gym cracking open my lip the day of the gym display amongst other things!!

funny how i can dance on my toes and do back flips yet apparently i cant manage a flight of stairs lol!

When my daughter auditioned for RBS mid associates she had sickness bug but insisted on auditioning and had to run out part way (did not get offered place), auditioned for Elmhurst Upper and fainted during audition and then few days later had tap exam in London and had to come out for 5 mins as almost fainted again (but due to tooth abscess) but still got distinction for Advanced 1 tap! Still dances - started at BTUK in September but no longer there as financial probs and now does not want career in ballet/dance as she does not feel committed enough! We have no luck! Lol

A person dropped on you? Lol I'm imagining a cartoon scene :)

haha no we did a lift where i was sat on thr ground infront of another girl and the third dancer stands infront of me leaning back and we catch her lifting her above my head... well all i know is that no catching occurred and i was flattened by her lol!!