Darning needles

tutoo2much

Can anyone reccommend a particular make, style, size and shape of needles for darning pointe shoes. I just pick up whatever I can find at home, although I am sure some needles make the job much easier than others. I would be happy to invest in some new ones if I knew which were most suitable.

The second part to my question is, if I did have a thimble which finger would I put it on? For me the answer might be each one!

:unsure: Thanks

I used a needle which was longer than a needle one normally uses for hemming - about two inches long. You want a needle long enough so you can really grasp it and pull it through. It should be a strong needle - but with a slender eye so it comes through easily - doesn't get stuck trying to pull through the material with too thick of an eye. So - it's a compromise. I can't imagine darning shoes without a thimble - and it goes on your middle finger (the longest finger) of your right hand - if you are right handed. Use three threads of embroidery thread which most closely matches the shoes.

Hope this helps. :)

I use a curved needle as I find it easier to use for darning than a straight one.

Like Anjuli I've found a needle with a long slim eye works best. Not too fine a one as they can bend and snap. Definitely need the thimble as it can be tough pulling / pushing through several layers (on the pleats) and some makers seem to use a lot of glue which can make pulling through the needle harder.

J x

Curved needles here too. They make th job a lot easier. I think I got mine from the market, but I'm pretty certain you can get them from Dance Direct, who also do Darning Thread which is the right shade to go with pointe shoes. (I found I only needed single thickness of thread if using darning thread rather than embroidery thread)

Thank you Anjuli, Elliepops,glowlight and frangipani,

Will try a long curved needle with a small eye next time. Battled with a short needle with a big eye last night and although it got the job done, it was hard work.

Middle finger is still throbbing this morning so that is where I will put the thimble. However, the penetrating injury was to my right forefinger. Next question-how best to clean blood spatter off brand new pointe shoes?

I darn 100s of the things! (it is my "sideline") - always use a curved needle :)

F x

Hi Frangapani, I can't see how to send you a PM on this forum but I seem to remember from the old forum that you will darn pointe shoes. My dd and I spent a lovely day in London having pointe shoes fitted but I can't face the thought of darning another pair! I dutifully darned the first in November and for a while I thought my fingers would never recover. If this is still your "sideline" could you send me a PM?

Many thanks SD

Hi Frangapani, I can't see how to send you a PM on this forum but I seem to remember from the old forum that you will darn pointe shoes. My dd and I spent a lovely day in London having pointe shoes fitted but I can't face the thought of darning another pair! I dutifully darned the first in November and for a while I thought my fingers would never recover. If this is still your "sideline" could you send me a PM?

Many thanks SD

pm sent! xxx

I tried darning pointe shoes once - never again! Suede toe caps for us but you can apparently get little pre-darned patches that you stick (or maybe sew) on - might see if I can get them next time.

I've heard curved needles make darning easier (after I attempted it with a straight needle!)

• 3 months later...

I use Coats Mercer Crochet 20g thread. It comes in a substantial ball which lasts ages. I chain stitch and use it single strand, but you can use it double too.

Frangapani, having seen an example of your beautiful neat stitching - it looked like you use a similar/same thread too?

J x

Buheads sewing kit is not a darning kit! It has two needles and excellent thread for sewing on ribbons/ elastics though - very tough, pale pink sort of waxy to the touch. I use it for all my and my dds shoes (and running repairs on other peoples shoes as it lives in my dance bag!).

Always a curved needle (the middle size in the pack of three I bought) with specific darning thread (though my red shoes were darned with 3 strands of embroidery thread bought to match colour, the thread is thicker, 5-6 threads so need to split). A thimble is useful - I quite enjoy the process too and teaching youngsters at the studio is quite rewarding!

RK

• Like 1