Ballet Theatre UK's "Aladdin" tour, 2015

Self-supporting young British Ballet company, Ballet Theatre UK, are bringing their new ballet "Aladdin" to the Lilian Bayliss Studio at Sadlers on 6th and 7th May. I can't find any info at all on the Sadlers Wells website but apparently this is because Sadlers don't advertise or publicise private hire events.

Ticket prices are incredibly reasonable for London - £10-£12 if I remember rightly. Most of the dancers are UK trained so it would be brilliant if people could go along and support the company.

More info here: http://www.ballettheatreuk.com/#!tour-dates/c1yr1

Ticket info here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/ballettheatreuk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Self-supporting young British Ballet company, Ballet Theatre UK, are bringing their new ballet "Aladdin" to the Lilian Bayliss Studio at Sadlers on 6th and 7th May. I can't find any info at all on the Sadlers Wells website but apparently this is because Sadlers don't advertise or publicise private hire events.

Am I alone in wondering why Sadler's Wells would not be able to offer more support in an instance such as this - certainly moral if not anything else.  Must admit though that I too found it odd that the SW listing was not on the BTUK initial link.  Has this outing been confirmed?  

Edited by Bruce Wall

But on the BTUK website the performances at the Lilian Bayliss are not mentioned which is also a little odd.

This is odd because yesterday it was still showing on BTUK website.

As Annac posted in OP tickets were available through BTUK website. The private hire conditions meant no help or coverage at all from Sadlers Wells. Which is why I've also posted about this elsewhere.

Unfortunately it looks as if only Thursdays performance will go ahead now because of the poor advance sales.My ds is certainly expecting to dance that day.

So upsetting for these talented dancers who work so hard, their touring schedule is pretty extensive. And as others have testified this is a British company well worth seeing.

• Like 3

This is odd because yesterday it was still showing on BTUK website.

It was still showing just before I posted my post above this evening, too. I'm not sure whether I shall be able to make the Thursday - may have to go to Croydon after all, where I hope they will have publicised it better.

If it hadn't been for Anna's link I would not have known how to buy tickets for it or even that it was on. Its not listed on the Tour Dates page. I've seen this wonderful production already in any case. I was surprised also that there is no mention of it on londondance.com as they seem to list a fairly comprehensive list of dance performances across London for all sorts of styles and companies - not just ballet.

• Like 1

Oh yes, you're right! The banner's been removed from the top of the website. :-(

I can't help wishing they'd hire a qualified marketing and PR person - and that they'd hired a London venue where publicity and advertising comes as part of the package!

• Like 2

Does Sadler's Wells as a venue receive public funding? If so, it should be required to provide at least a basic amount of publicity for small visiting companies. It's really very little work to add them to their website and promotional e-mails, even if bookings are made with third parties or the companies themselves.

• Like 1

If there are seats available I would very much imagine so as with any other show.......unless it was some complete private viewing.

Although having said that I would have thought tickets would still come via the Sadlers Wells Box office

I will be up there on Tuesday (to see Fille at ROH) but staying round the corner .....so will see if can pop in and find out how you get tickets for this and if on the day etc etc

• Like 1

Has anybody else already got tickets for this on the Forum?

I cannot go next week as it comes in the same week as going to Fille .....and on the Wednesday evening will be rehearsing with LAB so cannot justify staying up another night to see it on Thursday!!

When I last saw them in Croydon I did it through the theatre box office there and was sent to me in advance etc. But people were buying on the day there.

However there does seem to be something a little strange about these Lilian Bayliss performances. Perhaps they only got the venue at the last minute or maybe it's always difficult getting tickets for this venue?

I know someone who has been to a couple of performances there will ask her how she got tickets etc

No, I'm hoping to be well enough to go to a more local venue to see Aladdin, but at the moment I'm banned* from public transport which makes Sadlers impossible to get to.

* for medical reasons, not because of anti-social behaviour!

• Like 4

How difficult for you Anna C hope you can use again soon

Mind you public transport in London has been very irritating recently. Crowded trains and ages and ages and ages on the bus (which I try to use mostly) because of various re routings etc and the tube is like the rush hour all day now it seems. :(

• Like 1

If it hadn't been for Anna's link I would not have known how to buy tickets for it or even that it was on. Its not listed on the Tour Dates page. I've seen this wonderful production already in any case. I was surprised also that there is no mention of it on londondance.com as they seem to list a fairly comprehensive list of dance performances across London for all sorts of styles and companies - not just ballet.

It was listed on the tour dates until yesterday and it is listed

on the flyers issued to each venue although these won't be at Sadlers Wells.

I can't imagine that tickets won't be on sale in the door as they desperately need an audience but I will try and find out!

Croydon won't be a problem by the way. It is listed on the website and there is a comprehensive page where you can link to videos about the making of the Ballet.

Edited to add that my boss has booked tickets for Thursday using the link that was on the website. I sadly can't go due to teaching commitments.

Edited by hfbrew

Sad news.

The Lilian Baylis performances are cancelled. I imagine that its too few advanced sales to justify outlay, for example accommodation for dancers and crew alone is a considerable expense.

Such a shame. Thanks to AnnaC for posting the link on this thread and I'd also flagged it up in performances seen too. It would have been a reasonably priced good night to a decent Ballet company too!

Oh well, hopefully Croydon will do better!

Oh that is a shame.  London folk really will be missing out on a superb production.  I hope they will be able to find a more cooperative theatre for their next visit there so the company can get the publicity and support they deserve.

• Like 2

Yes how about a different theatre.

LAB is performing at the Bloomsbury Theatre in Gordon Street ......walkable from both Euston and Kings Cross stations.

It's a reasonably sized stage and the people there seem very nice.

There's also a good theatre at Wimbledon which might work for them.....and what about Richmond?

Such a shame they had to be cancelled.

When I looked on the Lilian Bayliss site they weren't mentioned there either. Do you think that BTUK needs to promote itself a bit more too though?

Yes how about a different theatre.

LAB is performing at the Bloomsbury Theatre in Gordon Street ......walkable from both Euston and Kings Cross stations.

It's a reasonably sized stage and the people there seem very nice.

There's also a good theatre at Wimbledon which might work for them.....and what about Richmond?

Such a shame they had to be cancelled.

When I looked on the Lilian Bayliss site they weren't mentioned there either. Do you think that BTUK needs to promote itself a bit more too though?

The reason why they werent on Lilian Baylis website is that it was a private hire, so no help whatsoever promoting it.

What a shame. :-( I have no idea how these things work but I do hope the company won't lose money through having to cancel.

I know the lack of publicity by Sadlers is a condition of private hire, but I can't help thinking that's actually a counter productive strategy. Even if they had added BTUK to their email list of upcoming performances it would have been a huge help - and I'm sure good ticket sales would have meant revenue for Sadlers in terms of interval drinks etc? Seems such a self-limiting way of going about things.

Unfortunately, from BTUK's point of view, a qualified Marketing & PR bod, along with a proactive and professional Admin, *has* to be a necessary investment - speculate to accumulate and all that!

• Like 4

Croydon won't be a problem by the way. It is listed on the website and there is a comprehensive page where you can link to videos about the making of the Ballet.

And it's been in the trimonthly Fairfield programme, too.

I doubt Wimbledon would do as a theatre - it's probably a bit big?

Yes perhaps you're right there Alison

I reckon the Bloomsbury Theatre could be very good though.

Would BTUK have been allowed to put their own advertisement poster up at Sadlers Wells at their own expense etc?

Just seeing a big poster would have got some interested even if they weren't on the general advertising for Sadlers but I agree with Anna C it all does seem a bit short sighted on their part.

I don't want to offend but I really don't think that a private hire without publicity at the venue is a sensible idea for BTUK (or most other companies for that matter). You are entirely reliant on having enough potential audience members following you on social media or contactable by e-mail and this is not going to grow your audience base. If Lillian Baylis is a new venue for the company then it will not even be reaching out to people who have previously come to see it at the venue. As Anna says, it may be time for the company to engage a PR and marketing manager, even if only part time. I hope that the forthcoming Croydon performances sell well.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dd and I saw Aladdin at Bishops Stortford last night and we really enjoyed the performance. I would hazard a guess that around 65-70% of seats had been sold so the dancers got a good solid round of applause and there was some cheering at the end. The company has increased slightly in size since we saw "Little Mermaid", and there now seem to be 6 or so men which is a bonus.

Fortunately we know David Brewer who danced Aladdin beautifully last night; I recognised several other dancers from the website, but there were a few not listed. Unlike "Little Mermaid" there were no programmes on sale last night and no cast lists, which I can't help feeling is a real drawback, especially when the website isn't updated - not only was I slightly confused at times, but it's so nice to see who is dancing which part, the origin of the music etc. My recollection of the story was therefore slightly fuzzy and there were a couple of moments where I had no clue what was happening. Several people asked where they could buy programmes so it wasn't just us.

On the upside, the costumes and set were fabulous. The colours of the marketplace were so vibrant and cheerful we did feel transported to faraway lands. No idea of the origins of the music but it was very well put together and particularly lovely during the pdds between Aladdin and the Princess. On the whole, the dancing was excellent; a couple of instances where one of the couples was slightly out of synch but other than that, technically very good. Many of the dancers showed extremely good musicality.

From memory, the Princess was played by Iñes Ferreira and she is a beautiful dancer. She suffered an unfortunate costume malfunction in the wedding pdd but you wouldn't have known it from her face. She carried on regardless and didn't hold back at all. She has gorgeous lines and uses her hands so expressively. There was a lovely rapport between her and David Brewer whose technique, lines and acting are super. He is a lovely dancer to watch.

Choreography was excellent; real variation and Chris Moore really used the music well. For a small company on a small stage, there were some real moments of beauty and I found myself surprisingly moved. The sign of a good night out for me is whether there are moments when I can forget my physical pain - and BTUK delivered on that score last night.

• Like 6