Diana Vishneva: On the Edge, London, April 2015

Diana Vishneva (star of Mariinsky and American Ballet Theatre) currently at the Coliseum in London, for a series of shows featuring 2 new pieces especially commissioned for her ('Switch' by Jean-Christophe Maillot and 'Woman in a Room' by Carolyn Carlson). Here are some sample photos from the dress rehearsal I was privileged to attend. Intriguing stuff, from one of my favourite dancers.

17152180005_a5119c2145_z.jpg
Switch: Gaitan Morlotti, Diana Vishneva
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

16964366578_353ef06370_z.jpg
Woman in a Room: Diana Vishneva
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Diana Vishneva 'On the Edge'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1

I'm seeing it tomorrow and and in the fith row of the stalls so hope for a lemon!  I've seen a few clips that made me a little apprehensive - there was some business with a pair of shoes on a table that looked rather 'Mr G from Summer Heights High' (hope someone gets that reference).  I'm hoping there's enough actual dance in it for my taste. You don't often get a chance to see la Vishneva however so I thought it was worth taking a punt.

• Like 1

zxDaveM, your pics are always so evocative and imaginative. Sorry if you have been asked before, but I was wondering if you ever considered doing a calender or gathering them all together in a book of some sort. I imagine the cost would be prohibitive. 

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to have to miss this as have been looking forward to her doing some of the things she has been doing in USA in recent years here in UK.

It's all pretty modern stuff so might not be to everyone's taste but just hope she comes again as am disappointed to have to miss her this time round.

She is one of my favourite dancers too.

zxDaveM, your pics are always so evocative and imaginative. Sorry if you have been asked before, but I was wondering if you ever considered doing a calender or gathering them all together in a book of some sort. I imagine the cost would be prohibitive. 

Thanks Jaqueline, your kind words are appreciated.

Its not something I could do really - getting them printed is really expensive, so even 'at cost' it would put most people off. The main stumbling block though, is that most, if not all, companies would not be at all keen on this. We are allowed to photograph 'for journalistic purposes' - i.e. reviews, but unless we gain express permission (and split the profits), we are blocked from creating 'products' of the images we take.

• Like 1

Thanks Jaqueline, your kind words are appreciated.

Its not something I could do really - getting them printed is really expensive, so even 'at cost' it would put most people off. The main stumbling block though, is that most, if not all, companies would not be at all keen on this. We are allowed to photograph 'for journalistic purposes' - i.e. reviews, but unless we gain express permission (and split the profits), we are blocked from creating 'products' of the images we take.

I follow Gene Schiavone on Facebook and he has often voiced frustration that on a given shoot he will take many hundreds of images, but only get a release from the company on maybe 4 or 5; and he is not allowed to do anythig withthe remainder. The companies also put tight control around what kind of image they want to present through released images, which stifles creativity.  It's frustrating for the photographer and also for us as consumers - I think there is a big appetite for posters, books etc which is simply not being met..

• Like 1

I also follow Gene on FB and have asked him many times to make a book of his wonderful photos, but for the reasons Quintus states above and many more, he just can't/won't.  It is a shame because the work of many talented people stays buried in a file somewhere.  Thank goodness for social media as we get to see much that we wouldn't have in the times before FB, Twitter and everything else available to us now. 

I've seen four reviews so far for tomorrow's Links, and the common thread is a tendency for the show to be a bit dull and overlong.

Having seen this last night I must confess - as much as I went wanting to like it - I would not be in disagreement with their determination.  For a start, this is a show very much in the wrong venue and here appeared to be a considerable departure at the interval.  I'm not certain what those people's expectations were but they obviously were not being met in at least some measure.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I won't be going to see this but I personally feel that the Coliseum is too big and cavernous for an evening of solos. Surely you need more intimacy for an evening like this to work well. Sadler's Wells would have been much more suitable.

• Like 4

Well I didn't get my lemon as the little girl next to me got there first, but I enjoyed the evening very much. I feel that the choreography was, as others ha be said, self indulgent and bloated in places, but there were also passages in both pieces that were really powerful and exciting, and gave DV a chance to shine. She can certainly hold a stage, and is both powerful and fluid. And gorgeous; despite my best squinting I couldn't quite make out what the tattoo on her hip was but I like to think it says "in the next life, Quintus, in the next life". I'd only previously seen her in video clips and on DVD as Juliet, where she left me cold, but am now very keen to see her in something that really stretches her.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind it saying "in the next life Linda, in the next life" but for very different reasons!

If I knew I could come back being able to dance like her then Death would definitely lose it's sting!!

• Like 1

I noticed it was being filmed last night from the back of the stalls, I wonder if and where that will surface - an unlikely candidate for dvd I'd have thought

Yes, it does sound unlikely although Miss Vishneva might be intending some sort of documentary type production. I see some have referred to this show as a sort of personal journey, about who she is and so on. Words that make my heart sink.

There has been comparison with Miss Guillem, as perhaps having been wiser in her choice of material. Some of the time at least. Eonnagata is best left at the very back of the shelf. In my opinion of course.

Interestingly, or not, depending on your point of view, Miss Guillem made a film about herself, including clips from Eonnagata and other pieces. The film/documentary was called Sur le fil, or On the Edge. Cosmic. :mellow:

Edited by Jacqueline

For those who enjoy a giggle at the expense of contemporary dance's indulgent extreme, I suggest a google of 'Mr G' 'pink sheet' 'youtube', with a dance class from the egotistical self-styled Director of Performing Arts from the satirical comedy Summer Heights High

• Like 1