I fell in love with Corsaire and its outrageous silliness when the Bolshoi did it at the Coliseum a few years back and cherish my memory of Tsiskaridze eating up the stage and delivering enough swagger to supply a mid-sized pirate armada. Bliss.

I'm very happy that ENB has now taken it upon itself to fulfil my pirate needs by putting on a raft of lovely casts in London.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry, I may have posted in the wrong ENB casting thread?  I think this was referring to the current tour of Romeo & Juliet, perhaps?  Hopefully he'll be recovered in time to do at least some of his currently scheduled Corsaire performances.

I've just realised that ENB is doing a couple of rather male-heavy productions at the moment, at least where higher-ranked roles are concerned.

Did I miss something? According to ENB’s Web Ken Saruhashi is doing Lankendem THUR MAT 14,  SAT MAT 16, THUR EVE 21, FRI EVE 22 and SAT EVE 23

Of which month and which venue?  He is not listed for Liverpool next month.

It also looks as though Brooklyn Mack and Osiel Gouneo have been added into the Liverpool casting.

• 2 months later...

Tamara Rojo replaces Alina Cojocaru on January 13 (opening night) and, although I'm not sure of Alina's other scheduled dates, it looks to me as if she's replacing her in at least one of those as well.

http://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/lecorsaire/

(Click on 'Principal Casting')

Thanks Bluebird.  ENB tweeted earlier that Cojocaru is replaced by Rojo on 13 & 16 Jan and by Summerscales on 19 Jan.

Thanks Bluebird.  ENB tweeted earlier that Cojocaru is replaced by Rojo on 13 & 16 Jan and by Summerscales on 19 Jan.

Shame.  I'd chosen the 16th specifically to see Alina; Tamara is of course a great substitute  but I was particularly looking forward to seeing Alina having watched the DVD.

Oh dear I must admit this news came as a blow, I had booked tickets and arranged to travel to London specifically to see Cojocaru as Medora and been looking forward to it for weeks. I have been nervous since hearing about her injury in December, but since the ENB tweet said 'minor injury' I had hoped she would be OK for Le Corsaire.

But that's the risk you take of course; and putting aside my selfish disappointment, I hope her injury is indeed minor and she is recovering well.

I agree with the comments above that Rojo is a wonderful replacement that should not disappoint anyone, and having seen her as Medora in Liverpool last year (twice!), I can advise that she's superb in the role. I tend to agree with the comments above expressing concern at her amount of performances recently, and remember she has another job as artistic director too! 

Likewise I think Lauretta Summerscales will be a worthy replacement. I saw her as Gulnare in Liverpool and was very impressed, and I wrote on the forum then how interesting it would be to see her as Medora.

• Like 1

That means Tamara is dancing on the 13th, 15th AND 16th... I hope she doesn't sustain an injury herself!

As I booked specifically to see Tamara on the 15th, I certainly hope so too.

However, I am guessing that her dance work load will not be as heavy, in terms of the variety of roles she would be expected to rehearse and perform, as it was when she was with the RB?

• Like 1

As I booked specifically to see Tamara on the 15th, I certainly hope so too.

However, I am guessing that her dance work load will not be as heavy, in terms of the variety of roles she would be expected to rehearse and perform, as it was when she was with the RB?

I've got a ticket for 15th for the same reason.

I know she has a formidable reputation for basically being a machine who can do anything required of her and as often as necessary, but I'm quite sure she has human physical limitations at SOME point...

I know she has a formidable reputation for basically being a machine who can do anything required of her and as often as necessary,

As an ENB Friend I went to one of their dancer insights evenings where in Q&A the pair of soloists were saying how Tamara turns up daily long before anyone else to do extra personal practice - she is phenomenally driven.  They said they were very enthused both by her clear vision and her personal energy, and how the company felt like a different place since her arrival - albeit much harder work for all!   When she does eventually wind down the dancing, I hope we see more of Tamara on TV and on cinema streamings as a presenter; she is both very passionate and very articulate.

• Like 8

I've got a ticket for 15th for the same reason.

I know she has a formidable reputation for basically being a machine who can do anything required of her and as often as necessary, but I'm quite sure she has human physical limitations at SOME point...

BBBs also going on the 15th

And me, too.

I've only seen her once, at the Barbican in 2014.

• Like 1

I went to the working rehearsal at the Coli last night. based on what I saw there are plenty of good casting options to see.  Lauretta as Medora and Ksenia Ovsyanick as Gulnaire were both excellent, and I may well scout around for a further ticket to see them.  Alison McWhinney was a fine odalisque.   Junor and the boys were all spectacular. Tamara suddenly went from being a voice on the megaphone to ripping through a couple of scenes as Medora.  There are a few rough edges to polish out, but I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3

I don't know Aileen, I imagine there likely are - I couldn't see who was directing in the stalls, and I just picked out Tamara's voice as the dominant one on adjustments, requests to redo sequences etc.  

There was an amusing correction when three background figures who just had to march in and stand by pillars holding swords didn't line themselves up to their pillars to TR's satisfaction.  When they redid it, they got a major round of applause from the audience :D

• Like 4

Quote from the ENB website:

"Due to injury, Fernando Bufalá will not perform in Le Corsaire between 13 – 17 January. He is replaced as follows:

Thursday 14 January 7.30pm  Cesar Corrales in the role of Birbanto
Friday 15 January 7.30pm Junor Souza in the role of Lankendem
Saturday 16 January mat. Max Westwell in the role of Birbanto
Sunday 17 January mat. Cesar Corrales in the role of Birbanto".