Just wondering about the best strategy for booking ENB Corsaire (for when it comes to London next January)? The best value seats tend to go so I want to book well in advance but of course no casting has been announced.

Might someone more experienced care to comment? I don't love Corsaire SO much that I want to spend money on every single night so what is a sensible strategy? Book something and hope (in which case who might one expect to see in this show)? Book the first night of the London run as that's when the critics will come? Or the last night as the company will want to finish their London run on a high? I'd be most grateful for suggestions.

First nights are the safest to book for without knowing the casting, the Company want good reviews, at the moment I would think Alina Cojocaru and Alejandro Virelles would dance both Nutcracker and Corsaire first nights, this is only my guess of course, after that it's impossible to tell, wouldn't particularly book for closing nights though.

Isaac Hernandez has just joined ENB from DNB. I don't know who his regular partner will be but there's a chance that he will partner Alina as he's coming in as a lead principal and Basilio seems to be his type of role.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Casting for Liverpool Empire announced 18-21 November 2015 - includes guest artists Osiel Gouneo, Principal with Norwegian Ballet, and Brooklyn Mack, Principal with Washington Ballet

Principal Casting

Casting is subject to change. Please check www.ballet.org.uk for updates.

(In order of Medora, Gulnare, Conrad, Lankenden, Ali, Burbanto)

Wednesday 18 November  

Tamara Rojo, Laurretta Summerscales, Isaac Hernandez, Junor Souza, Cesar Corrales, Yonah Acosta

Thursday 19 November (mat)

Shiori Kase, Crystal Costa, Yonah Acosta, Ken Saruhashi, Cesar Corrales, Max Westwell

Thursday 19 November

Erina Takahashi, Katja Khaniukova, Osiel Gouneo, Ken Saruhashi, Jinhao Zhang, Fernando Bufala

Friday 20 November

Laurretta Summerscales, Ksenia Ovsyanick, Brooklyn Mack, Jinhao Zhang, Ken Saruhashi, Cesar Corrales

Saturday 21 November (mat)

Tamara Rojo, Shiori Kase, Isaac Hernandez, Fernando Bufala, Cesar Corrales, Yonah Acosta

Saturday 21 November

Erina Takahashi, TBC, Osiel Gouneo, Junor Souza, Ken Saruhashi, Fernando Bufala

• Like 5

Well, there may have been no official announcement but the post above (#7) suggests that Vasiliev revealed his dates himself. And, as the first one, the 13th January, is the opening night, that must surely be a pretty safe bet as far as booking for him is concerned.

Mind you, the casting for Liverpool points to all the London casts being terrific in all the roles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested to see this production, and as I write still only the Liverpool casting has been published. I intend to see it at Liverpool, it's probably a very rare chance to see this part of the ballet canon performed in the NW England. 

Disappointed that Cojocaru will not be dancing the lead role (or other role) in Liverpool. I understand this was her debut ballet with ENB in 2013, and she received much praise for her performances. I've been privileged to see Cojocaru dance the Nutcracker and Swan Lake in Liverpool and was really hoping to see her again in this production. On the other hand, very glad to see Rojo will be Medora in Liverpool. Last year when Rojo and Cojocaru were dancing Odette/Odile in Liverpool I had to pinch myself. 

Will be interesting to see if Cojocaru dances the lead in the other tour locations; if she does in London, I'd be tempted to travel there to see it.

Edited by northstar

Rumour has it Ivan Vasiliev will be guesting in London's run of Corsaire if that's the case I'm hoping he is dancing with Alina as he did in Swan Lake this year. I emailed ENB a week ago and they said they hope to have the London casting out soon as they are just confirming things. If Ivan is dancing I'll be going to London as I wanted to see Alina in Liverpool too.

Edited by Don Q Fan

At last, I've been waiting for the casting for London, as I particularly wanted to see Cojocaru.  On the other occasions I have booked without knowing, I always seem to end up seeing Takahashi in everything. 

Don't know anything about Osiel Gounei.  Anybody else seen him?

• Like 1

Yes, I was very impressed by Isaac Hernandez when I saw him in Swan Lake earlier this year (one of the few who can dance the Nureyev Act 1 solo and make it look elegant and effortless). I do enjoy seeing interesting guests as well though.

• Like 1

Yes I've seen Isaac in Amsterdam when he was with DNB earlier this year.  

Osiel is supposed to be very good, however as no Vasiliev = no incentive to travel to London - the Liverpool Empire will do with half price tickets on opening night with my ATG card, especially as no matinees with Alina either.  I think it is Rojo and Hernandez on opening night up here.

Osiel Guneo was amazing when I saw him at World Ballet Festival in Tokyo this summer. Such a virtuoso and especially his pirouettes are so controlled. He is Cuban-trained, not tall but worth a watch and I think how lucky the UK audience are to see such great dancers in this Corsaire. (Brooklyn Mack is also wonderful)

Here is an introduction of him in ENB's blog and a video of him taken by Daniil Simkin.

http://blog.ballet.org.uk/meet-guests-osiel-gouneo-brooklyn-mack/

A video of his Acteaon. 

Edited by Naomi M
  • Like 1

The casting listed at post #8 (above) has now been amended on line as follows:

Wednesday 18 November  
Tamara Rojo, Laurretta Summerscales, Isaac Hernandez, Junor Souza, Cesar Corrales, Yonah Acosta

Thursday 19 November (mat)
Shiori Kase, Crystal Costa, Yonah Acosta, Brooklyn Mack (replacing Ken Saruhashi), Cesar Corrales, Max Westwell

Thursday 19 November
Erina Takahashi, Katja Khaniukova, Osiel Gouneo, Cesar Corrales (replacing Ken Saruhashi), Jinhao Zhang, Fernando Bufala

Friday 20 November
Laurretta Summerscales, Ksenia Ovsyanick, Brooklyn Mack, Jinhao Zhang, Yonah Acosta (replacing Ken Saruhashi), Cesar Corrales

Saturday 21 November (mat)
Tamara Rojo, Shiori Kase, Isaac Hernandez, Fernando Bufala, Cesar Corrales, Yonah Acosta

Saturday 21 November
Erina Takahashi, TBC, Osiel Gouneo, Junor Souza, Yonah Acosta (replacing Ken Saruhashi), Fernando Bufala

Edited by alison
To make more noticeable

Thank you so much, Naomi N. How excited am I now to see Osiel Guneo and Brooklyn Mack?! I have booked tickets immediately for Corsaire, not a ballet I like particularly, and was not going to bother with, but now can't wait. Alina Cojocaru, Osiel Guneo, Laurretta Somerscales, Junor Souza, Isaac Hernandez and Cesar Corrales all on the same bill! What a treat.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

I actually loved the ENB version of Le Corsaire.

The story is very silly, and the ballet doesn't require much in the way of acting skills, but the music is lively and there is plenty of dancing for everyone.  Perfect for the festive season, I think.  :)