Manchester Northern ballet school

jade

Hi everyone my daughter is starting NBS in Manchester this September . She has asked me to post to ask for any ifno regarding uniform, start and finishing times for year one and any other helpful information. She is too impatient to wait !!! As I'm sure the school will send all this info out nearer the time - but try telling a 16 year to wait !! Thanks in advance x

• Like 2

Hi my daughter graduated from NBS last summer. The uniform is provided when they arrive. It's currently track suit, tshirt, catsuit and leotard all ordered through the school. They then need other leotards, leggins and crop tops for other lessons and also the range of shoes they will need. Start and finish time are roughly around 9 to 5 for all years but I think my daughter said they were in around 8.30 so they were ready for class and then when it's shows the days are longer and also if they do any extra classes they may be later too. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can you clarify what dance qualification they achieve and what employment rates are like? Also are there academic lessons and qualifications? How many students in a year group? Thanks

Hi Lilac :)

The qualification is the Trinity diploma in professional dance. If you mean A levels when you say academic lessons then no, they do not offer A levels. Year groups tend to vary to be honest. The year groups are split into two in the first year and then into jazz focus and classical focus in the second & third year. Last year the graduate employment was 100% before the final term finished. This includes both the jazz & classical course students going on to employment within their chosen focus.

• Like 1

Can you clarify what dance qualification they achieve and what employment rates are like? Also are there academic lessons and qualifications? How many students in a year group? Thanks

Hi the qualification you receive is a diploma in professional dance which is from Trinity. This is the only obligatory work that the school requires you to do and it is what you receive at graduation. There is also the opportunity to do the istd ddi exam in modern, ballet or tap which is the teaching qualification and also on Friday we have classes in whatever RAD level that we are in and so there is this exam opportunity as well. In a year group there are normally around 30 girls and 6-10 boys :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know if they prefer you to go at 16, or whether it is possible to go at 17 or 18?

Ms MacDonald takes on talent and potential not age! There is a girl in my year who started first year at 15 and equally there was a girl who was 21 :)

• Like 1

Hi dancemad

That employment did people go on to? Amazing success. It's really useful to get this sort of information. Thank you.

Last year a lot of the girls were jazz focus, there were only three classical focus girls. Most jazz focus went on cruises with companies such as costa, princess, P&O and carnival. One of the boys joined Murley dance company, a neoclassical company based in London, and is now dancing with the vienna festival ballet. One of the classical girls decided to go for jazz and is now dancing on a costa cruise. The other two- Honoka and Sahya went to cinevox junior company and ajkun trainee respecitvely.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hi my daughter studies istd in ballet , modern and tap and is studying advanced one in all at the moment and hoping to take the advanced one tap exam in July. How will it work when she goes to northern when they study RAD and are put in from exams ? Also is it a big cost to do the ddi teaching exams at Northern and how does this work ? X

Modern and tap at NBS are all studied in istd so she will be able to take those exams, also istd ballet is learnt by the first years in their normal ballet class once a week I think. She will have to start at intermediate again for the first term but then they will go up to advanced 1 and pupils do get put in for those exams as well :) she will have to start rad ballet as well though but she won't be the only one who hasn't done it so she shouldn't worry! I'm not sure about the exact cost of ddi because I didn't do it sorry. It is after school on a Wednesday but only offered to second and third years. I don't think it really breaks the bank though because a lot of pupils do opt to do it!

• Like 1

quote name="MeganReid" post="128603" timestamp="1430287133"]

Last year a lot of the girls were jazz focus, there were only three classical focus girls. Most jazz focus went on cruises with companies such as costa, princess, P&O and carnival. One of the boys joined Murley dance

company, a neoclassical company based in London, and

is now dancing with the vienna festival ballet. One of the

classical girls decided to go for jazz and is now dancing

on a costa cruise. The other two- Honoka and Sahya

went to cinevox junior company and ajkun respectively.

Hope this helps!

Hi Megan :)

An additional boy went to a classical company in Florida

too didn't he?

Edited because for some reason I managed to post in the middle of Megans quote!

Edited by dancemad

• 1 month later...