Is it too late to return this leotard?

Katymac

I bought DD a leotard at Move it (so Sat 14th Feb) for auditions

We kept it for 'best' so that it looked nice for auditions - after about 8 wears the stitching is unravelling in 2 places

So that's 2 months ago.....am I being cheeky to try & return/exchange it or is 8 wears reasonable for a leotard?

I wouldn't have said 8 wears is unreasonable.  It's worth trying to get an exchange/refund.  I assume you've still got the original receipt.

I bought my niece a pair of Vans for Christmas and asked for a gift receipt.  I bought them a good 8 weeks before Christmas and the shop said they will consider returns on a case by case basis for up to a year!!!

I agree that its worth trying for a refund - on the fit for purpose/faulty goods basis as a leotard should last more than 8 wears before stitching comes undone. Make sure you state as above that you kept for best for auditions and that it is barely worn as you are certainly a bit late for exchange for 'didn't fit properly' etc type reasons

In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.

If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.

If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.

Check out the which website for further details. Xxxx

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

I thought I'd give them a chance to rectify it before 'naming & shaming' - but after a preliminary phone call things aren't looking good

Sheila - I hope you don't mind I've emailed you for a bit of advise - sorry to 'use' you!

• Like 2

That's significantly under 2 months: if I found a seller wasn't prepared to replace after that time, I'd be certain not to use them again.  I think the Sale of Goods Act states that merchandise should be fit for purpose, which this clearly isn't.  

I appear to be having more luck with a handbag which I bought and then didn't use for over a year, for various reasons, but where the inside pocket pulled away after 2 weeks when I did start using it.  At least the shop there offered me a credit note for the last sale price: pity it was only £6, and nowhere near the price of replacing it, but they did try.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an immediate replacement - so their speed of action was very good; however it's the same type leotard so hopefully it won't have the same problem (which is me being unnecessarily pessimistic, but I did wonder if they were seconds - but not labelled as such)

DD is pleased as she liked the style, so we will wait & see

• Like 2