PRESS RELEASE: Northern Ballet dancer nominated at International Competition for Choreographers

Northern Ballet dancer nominated at International Competition for Choreographers

Northern Ballet Premier Dancer Kenneth Tindall has been invited to compete for an award at the 26th International Competition for Choreographers in Hannover for his debut choreography Project #1.

Originally created for a Northern Ballet Choreographic Workshop performance in the summer of 2011, Project #1 was then extended to form part of Perpetual Motion which was performed at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre in Leeds earlier this year. The piece was developed by looking at each dancer’s way of moving and producing choreography which showcased their unique style.

Kenneth Tindall said “Project #1 is inspired by movement of dancers’ bodies. When I first started work on the piece I focused on the physical attributes of three Northern Ballet dancers – Tobias Batley’s flexibility, Ben Mitchell’s feet and Victoria Sibson’s pliable ribcage. Project #1 now involves six dancers but I have continued to work in the same way, looking at the movement and quality of each dancer and creating choreography which showcases each dancer’s individuality whilst still incorporating my own personal style.”

The International Competition for Choreographers is a two-day competition in Hannover for young choreographers under the age of 35. Over the course of the two days the competitors will exhibit their work in front of a public audience and an international jury which includes Ed Wubbe Artistic Director of Scapino Ballet Rotterdam. The competition has gained a reputation for promoting interesting and progressive choreography and previous competitors include Loni Landon who is currently dancing with The Metropolitan Opera.

On his nomination to the competition Kenneth Tindall said “I am completely thrilled to have been invited to Hannover. It is such a prestigious competition and I’m honoured to be considered for it.”

Northern Ballet Artistic Director David Nixon OBE said “Project #1 shows Kenneth’s tremendous potential as a choreographer. We have been fortunate in discovering and nurturing his talents and I have no doubt that there will be much more to come from him in the future. I am so pleased that such work is coming from within the Northern Ballet ranks.”

The International Competition for Choreographers will run in June but prior to this Kenneth Tindall will be appearing in Northern Ballet’s I Got Rhythm which premieres at Leeds Grand Theatre on the 23 May.

Northern Ballet is committed to nurturing the talent of the Company’s dancers and later this year two more dancers Sebastian Loe and Dreda Blow will choreograph Ugly Duckling a ballet for children based on the Hans Christen Anderson fairytale.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Northern Ballet is renowned for its full-length narrative productions which embrace popular culture and take inspiration from literature, opera, or give a unique interpretation of classical ballets. The Leeds-based company is committed to touring throughout the UK and overseas, developing new audiences for dance. It has carved a unique place in the UK’s cultural landscape and was voted Britain’s favourite ballet company for three consecutive years at the National Dance Awards.

Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre are based in a new centre of excellence for dance in Leeds for dance artists, enthusiasts and audiences across the north of England. Their award-winning headquarters on Quarry Hill in central Leeds is the largest purpose-built space for dance outside London.

Ugly Duckling is an audience outreach project funded by Leeds City Council and is part of Leeds Inspired which celebrates arts, sport and heritage events. The project has been developed with Northern Ballet dancers Dreda Blow and Sebastian Loe (who will choreograph the piece) alongside family groups in Harehills and Chapeltown who are acting as consulting bodies. This is the first time Northern Ballet will produce a children’s ballet and the aim is to engage families in theatre, art and music in a fun, lively and approachable way. Ugly Duckling will premiere in October and will be accompanied by education outreach activities at duck ponds across Leeds.

Tour Listings

I Got Rhythm

Leeds Grand Theatre

Wed 23 – Sat 26 May

Performances: Evenings 7:30pm, Matinee: Thu and Sat 2:30pm

Box Office: 0844 848 2701

Book Online:leedsgrandtheatre.com

Tickets: £8.50 (RV) - £39.50

Norwich Theatre Royal

Tue 29 May – Sat 2 June

Performances: Evenings 7:30pm, Matinees: Thu and Sat 230pm

Box Office: 01603 630 000

Book Online:theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

Tickets: £6.50 - £36.50

Ugly Duckling

Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre

Mon 29 October – Fri 2 November

Performances: Daily at 11am, 1pm and 3pm (except Thursday 1 November when there is no 3pm performance)

Box Office: 0113 220 8008

Book Online: nothernballet.com

Tickets: £4 - £5

• 1 month later...

That's a new award at the Hannover competition, offered by the new Federal Youth Ballet (Bundesjugendballett), a youth company associated to John Neumeier's Hamburg Ballet in the style of NDT 2. The winner will be invited to Hamburg to create a new ballet for that small company of eight young dancers.

• Like 1