Miko Fogarty

aballetlife

Yes I' get occasional posts on Facebook and because she seemed to,be spending so much time over in Indonesia and Japan I checked the BRB dancers list and although her name was still there at the end of July it is not there now so it's appears her contract was not renewed or she decided to leave anyway.

She hasn't actually been taking part in competitions this time but appearing as one of the guest artists at their galas etc

But cannot find at the moment ...on Facebook anyway ...what her longer term intentions are at this point.

My feeling is she will return to America and find a Company there.....she is obviously keen to have a go at Principal roles so may need a smaller company than BRB.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Not sure about that as she certainly can dance. I wondered whether she has just had enough of it all for a while and is perhaps enjoying some time away from ballet? It would be nice to know though.

• Like 1

There is a thread about Miko Fogarty on the American equivalent of this site but no-one has posted since the end of March.

Her website seems out of date and there is not much of interest on her twitter account recently.

During her year at BRB I'm afraid she far from set the world alight.

Did you see her dance, Jan? I have always wondered if her mother's obsession with winning prizes would harm her chances of blending in with le corps de ballet if she joined a company.

• Like 1

Yes I did when I finally noticed her.  She blended in too well and didn't set the world alight for me I'm afraid.

Perhaps because she came with such a weight of expectation from her social media presence I was expecting more.

Edited by Jan McNulty
To add 2nd sentence

What a shame. There is a deafening silence about what she is doing at the moment. I wonder if it's all been too much for her? It's very sad if so.

Edited by Fiz
Missed out a sentence
  • Like 2

Well, I hope that she's not ill or experiencing personal problems. Personally, I feel that her approach to her career may have been misguided. I feel that you cannot become a star without putting in several solid years with a company first. I don't think that the peripatetic, freelance approach works for very young dancers. You need the discipline of company life at the start of your career. 

• Like 2

It's an interesting issue the whole social media thing isn't it? DS has always stoutly resisted any pressure to promote himself  (DSs father, being in the media, always seems to think DS should be more visible!). When I discussed it with him DS was very much of the opinion that it was foolish to be hyping yourself at a young age as then you would have a massive expectation to live up to. He considers that it won't really improve your professional chances and would be highly embarrassing if you didn't live up to the hype. Also this would put additional pressure on your own self esteem eg if everyone else was saying they thought you would be a principal in 5 sec flat then you would feel a failure 'just' to be in the corps....

As DS said, time enough to promote yourself when your dancing is genuinely brilliant, not when it is only 'has the potential to become brilliant.', since potential and outcome (as we all know) are 2 very different animals!

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, CeliB said:

It's an interesting issue the whole social media thing isn't it? DS has always stoutly resisted any pressure to promote himself  (DSs father, being in the media, always seems to think DS should be more visible!). When I discussed it with him DS was very much of the opinion that it was foolish to be hyping yourself at a young age as then you would have a massive expectation to live up to. He considers that it won't really improve your professional chances and would be highly embarrassing if you didn't live up to the hype. Also this would put additional pressure on your own self esteem eg if everyone else was saying they thought you would be a principal in 5 sec flat then you would feel a failure 'just' to be in the corps....

As DS said, time enough to promote yourself when your dancing is genuinely brilliant, not when it is only 'has the potential to become brilliant.', since potential and outcome (as we all know) are 2 very different animals!

Your DS has a very wise head on young shoulders CeliB & I personally think there is soo much truth in what he is saying. 

• Like 10

The problems these social media famous young dancers have are the people who follow them. Often young girls in their early teens. Nearly always very well meaning and supportive. But I've seen some comments on these dancers by people; telling them they are going to become a Prima Ballerina one day. You wouldn't be human if that sort of comment on a regular basis didn't have an impact on you. So when the reality of Corps De Ballet life hits home it must be tough. [ Also, just my personal opinion here. But being coached for months on end for hours every day to perform a three minute solo to perfection is hardly indicative of any long-term success in a company].

• Like 9

Very insightful by your son CeliB!

There are so many factors necessary to reaching the goal of being a professional dancer, talent just being one of them. Tenacity, humility, financial support during training and a bit of luck are some others. 

It is wonderful when your DC achieves their goal against the odds and after many setbacks on the way though.

Edited by Lucinda
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

To be honest I think you would say that more of someone who had very little talent for dance and I don't think that about Miko Fogerty

I know she has been around in these competitions etc since she was a child but if Dance was her main passion I would hope she can find a niche somewhere to express this.

Obviously if she has genuinely lost interest then hopefully she can find another passion in her life as she is till so young.

But usually you wouldn't say of a professional performer unless they are nearing the end of their career that you hope they can find another passion instead of the lne they have chosen!!

7 hours ago, Cara in NZ said:

I remember worrying when I watched First Position that she might have chronic injury/overuse problems from training so intensively from a young age. Sometimes it's your body rather than your mindset that changes your direction?

Yes, I'm curious as to the reasons behind the changed career direction but perhaps we will never know.

We probably won't know but I suspect that concentrating on competitions does not make you a company dancer and forging a career as a guest dancer without a solid company grounding must be very hard.

Perhaps the competitions/work just dried up...

• Like 4

Yes it's a shame she didn't seem to gell that well with BRB in her year there as it had been her dream to dance with the Royal Ballet.

She hadn't struck me as being all that pushy inspite of all her early exposure so I'm sure if it had been okay( perhaps she was homesick?) she would have been able to wait till roles came her way....which is what I meant by finding a niche in some Company somewhere!!

I wondered personally if it's some sort of an injury issue but who knows if she doesn't want to share it ....and who can blame her after the degree of spotlight she has been under whilst growing up....we will as Janet said never know.

If she is now giving up ballet for good I hope she ....as a previous poster said ....can find an alternative passion and have a good career with that. She may still love ballet but doesn't want to or can't for some reason pursue as a main career any more. 

Edited by LinMM

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure whether on this thread or on another related thread but I posted about Miko not dancing professionally any more and taking up studies to be a Doctor some months ago. However I am assuming it's to be a Medical  Doctor as just the word Doctor was mentioned and used on its own usually means Medicine!! She must have been doing this for at least a year now but have no idea how it's all going for her...as I'm not on Instagram or Twitter so have no idea what is going on in those worlds!! 

Many thanks for the info Cara!

She also still has a toe  in Ballet!! She is teaching this coming August...2018...tips on technique and learning some of her variations under the San Jose Ballet International although one of the days seems to be near San Francisco. So is obviously keeping it up in some form!!

21 hours ago, LinMM said:

Many thanks for the info Cara!

She also still has a toe  in Ballet!! She is teaching this coming August...2018...tips on technique and learning some of her variations under the San Jose Ballet International although one of the days seems to be near San Francisco. So is obviously keeping it up in some form!!

I see she's actually listed as the Conservatory Director of Dance International San Jose, where she's giving the Masterclasses. See: https://www.sjdanceinternational.org/ It says in her bio that "She started teaching in 2016 and has held workshops in Thailand, Japan, and Australia" and she's also offering private lessons. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think this really shows that those young trainees who work intensely from a young age, dancing in local galas here and there and taking part in national/international competitions, aren't mentally well prepared by the time they are of an age to join a professional company. They grow up believing they are already stars but once they join a company they are "nobody", they have to start out as a corps de ballet dancer, they are not used to dancing and rehearsing in a group and to not getting individual attention and adoration.There must be an element of burn out too as they seem to lack the immense drive needed to climb up through the ranks.

It must have been psychologically very difficult for the young lady mentioned here above, to have to be "one of many" in the BRB corps de ballet (having grown up believing she was a star, with many praising her on social media). From what I have read the same happened to  Australian Claudia Dean: she was individually trained and coached to dance solos at galas and at competitions, but when it came to thriving as a professional dancer in the RB corps de ballet she couldn't mentally adapt to dancing just corps roles, she wasn't mentally prepared to do her time in the corps. As a corps de ballet dancer she got a few solo roles as a test, and I think it must have posed a problem for her to accept that one day she could dance a solo role but on other days she had to return to being a corps de ballet dancer, as that was her rank after all, she wasn't a soloist. When she didn't get the promotion she thought she deserved she gave up. Surely there must have been other reasons why both young ladies stopped being a corps de ballet dancer.

This raises the question: what IS needed for a dancer to be able to climb up from being a corps de ballet dancer to becoming a soloist to ultimately - for the rare and highly exceptional dancer - becoming a Principal? Intensive early training, winning competitions and dancing solos at a young age doesn't prepare a young trainee for the physical and mental rigours of professional life as a successful dancer. 

Clearly, talent alone is not enough. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

this really shows that those young trainees who work intensely from a young age, dancing in local galas here and there and taking part in national/international competitions, aren't mentally well prepared by the time they are of an age to join a professional company

I'd say we should be very careful to make any assumptions - particularly when there's the implication that somehow these young people are morally failing. Maybe Ms Fogarty simply burnt out? Maybe she had a change of heart? Maybe there is an injury she just doesn't want to speak about publicly? 

You might look at the career of Daniil Simkin - he was 'hothoused' in a similar way as Ms Fogarty, and dances with ABT, and is just going to the Berliner Staatsoper. 

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 5