Rise and Fall of the City of Mahogonny - live feed 1st April

JulieW

This production really isn't something I would usually choose to go and see, but I'm trying to widen my rep and go to see as many live feeds as possible.  I've watched a few operas now from the ROH which (if I'm honest) I'm glad I didn't pay the high ticket price, plus the rail fare, to see, but am glad I had the opportunity to experience - and enjoyed more than I thought I would (can you tell I'm not really an opera fan?!).

Anyway - son's girlfriend is performing in this one as one of the dancers, so that's given me another reason to go, and it's also a completely different style from anything I'd normally listen to/watch, so I'm looking forward to a new experience.

Anyone else going to their local cinema to see it on Wednesday?  They've only got this performance and one other left and they're sold out at the ROH.

We are going to see this Julie. Weill's music is really accessible (not trying to be patronising here but if you are unused to 'modern' opera it's a great place to start. And it's very humorous in a dark, satirical way. Quite relevant to today really as it's about an uber-capitalist society where not having any money is a capital crime. I haven't seen this production yet so don't know what it's like (I deliberately don't read reviews in advance) but if you've ever seen a Brecht play you should have some idea of what to expect.

Hope we all enjoy it! I do think the screenings are great value for money and am getting to enjoy opera with popcorn..

I'll be seeing it at the ROH on Wed. I've grown up listening to Weill/Brecht, so was really looking forward to it and booked quite a few tickets. It's not an unmitigated success, some of the singers are better in different repertoire but it's definitely interesting, has some very good bits (Christine Rice as Jenny is amazing) and IMHO it looks pretty good. I really liked the dance numbers in it, I quite agree with the reviewer who said they had a sly wit.

The good news for non-opera fans is probably that this is as far from a typical opera as possible. Hope you enjoy it :)

My friend said she thinks I'll enjoy the music.  I love "classical" music, but struggle a bit with more modern music (if you see what I mean), but am looking forward to this as a new experience.  I'm a bit the same with ballet/dance to be honest - give me a good "old-fashioned" piece rather than contemporary for instance, but I'm slowly coming round  ;)

She's certainly enjoyed being a part of it (despite the low pay - that's another story).  It was her first time on the ROH stage and said she never thought her debut there would be as a prostitute  :D .  

I'm trying to encourage as many of my friends as possible to get to live screenings - it's so good to have a good view of the performers and get home at a sensible time of night.  Lots coming up over the summer from the ROH and the National Theatre I believe.

I'm trying to limit my live screenings because my budget is tight at the moment, so won't be going to this one. Actually, it clashes with Scottish Ballet at Sadler's, which is a pity. Having said that, I do have a couple of comps from the Odeon which claim to be valid for *all* screenings, so perhaps I could try and see ...

I'm getting horribly confused with all these various live screenings: the local Odeon insists on putting them all on separate pieces of paper according to the company/venue showing them, so I've got maybe 4 or 5 separate pieces of paper lying around the place, and chances are I won't pick up the right one at the right time. Why on earth they can't just bring out a regular "Culture" mailing list for those who are interested, I don't know. Come to think of it, Picturehouses are a bit sloppy in that respect, too.

We are going to see this Julie. Weill's music is really accessible (not trying to be patronising here but if you are unused to 'modern' opera it's a great place to start. And it's very humorous in a dark, satirical way. Quite relevant to today really as it's about an uber-capitalist society where not having any money is a capital crime. I haven't seen this production yet so don't know what it's like (I deliberately don't read reviews in advance) but if you've ever seen a Brecht play you should have some idea of what to expect.

Now, there's a recommendation (she says, having sat through Caucasian Chalk Circle, Mother Courage, Arturo Ui and Galileo Galilei :) )

I'd have thought the music would be accessible enough - think Threepenny Opera, maybe more than Seven Deadly Sins?

I went on the first night and Von Otter wasn't singing, so big disappointment, though the understudy did very well  It takes a while for the work to make its point and the first half dragged a bit, but the second half was more enjoyable and the satire element is just as relevant today as it was when it was written.

I've taken to buying cinema giftcards as Christmas presents for people I know go to screenings.  My in-laws live near a Vue and they have a card you can load up with any amount you like.  They send us a little update every time they see something and so far this year they have seen stuff from the ROH, the Met, Bolshoi, NT and the Old Vic.  As they are not very mobile and live in a small town, this is great.  

I think the screenings are a brilliant innovation - of course the music is not quite the same as hearing it live but it's a very good second best :)

• Like 1

Very enjoyable! Excellent performances from all involved. Completely different from anything I'd seen before. Not something I'd put on my CD player to listen to but watching them perform it was great.

Great views of my young friend on the big screen too. Shame her boyfriend couldn't get to see it ;-)

• Like 1