Difficult family time around final audition

Regattah

Honestly at times like this it would be lovely to retreat back to childhood and believe in magic wands again but as one cannot do this I really hope things start to improve considerably for your younger DD very soon. If all the drugs could be stabilised finally then hopefully she can move forwards without any more setbacks.

Sorry you cannot be there for older DD but she will know that you really would like to be though.

What is her solo going to be ....has she chosen the music etc herself or is this set?

Will keep fingers crossed for both DD's today.

• Like 3

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regattah I so wish I had Lin's magic wand as well. You are doing a fabulous job with both of your dd. I'm sure your older dd understands but I know that guilt as a Mum is unavoidable. Love to you all.

Oh Regattah, I do feel for you. Hope your elder dd had a fantastic time at Janet Cram, and that your younger dd starts to improve and feel much better very soon. What a time you're having! Sending big virtual hugs.

So sorry to hear of younger DD's latest setback.  Let's hope that the medical team get to the bottom of things and that she is soon on the mend.

I hope DD1 enjoyed her Janet Cram experience today.

Sending you all positive thoughts and virtual hugs.  Jxx

Oh poor you - what a time you are having of it! You don't need the guilty feeling on top of everything else going on but I know how unavoidable it is! But you sound like you are being a fantastic Mum (doing all you can and some more, as Mums somehow seems to!) and DD1 will know this - she has years of experience to know how much you care for her and want to be there. She probably wishes she could be too but hope she has a fantastic time and dances her heart out!

• Like 1

Yes - even though you can know in your head that guilt is really warranted, it doesn't stop you feeling it. Older DD sounded a little quiet every time I've spoken with her, but she's with her lovely friend and her mum (a member on here!) who are taking great care of her. There was no filming allowed at the awards but at least I'll get to see her at the final, which is a lot closer to us. Even if little DD is still ill (hopefully not), at least I'll be able to get up and back in a day.

Lin. - they do a class and then each perform a solo of their own composition. DD used the contemporary solo that she did for her Rambert audition, just making some amendments to make it less contemporary and more ISTD modern. The music she chose is classical, but fairly modern classical.

• Like 4

What a wonderfully strong, close family you have, Regattah, and congratulations to your older DD for doing so well when she must be worried about her sister. I hope you get good news soon about little DD and I hope older DD does well in the finals and you have a great time watching her.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted any news on here and so I just thought I'd update.

My little DD has been blessed with a very gutsy, positive attitude to life which I believe has really helped her out in all she has been through. Even on the day of her first stroke at the end of March she lay in the hospital bed talking about the two important dates she had coming up. Firstly she was to dance with her dance school at the O2 and then after this she had her grade 5 ballet exam. I can remember smiling at her and making the right noises, whilst thinking that I really couldn't imagine how either of these could happen. Well, two weeks ago she did dance at the O2 and had a ball. She just beamed throughout the whole performance! Then last week she took her exam, and has found out tonight that she was awarded an Honours.

Up until last year she went to an excellent RAD school, one which provides really high quality training and has several great alumni. Last year as she was getting more and more ill prior to her next cardiac surgery it became apparent that it wasn't a good fit for her. She was leaving each class miserable (several crying episodes) partly, I'm sure, because she knew she couldn't do justice to the training she was getting and to the ability that she could have reached if she was healthy. Once she had recovered from the op we made the decision that she should go to a less serious school where she could concentrate on dancing for enjoyment. It was the best decision we could have made for her. She has now joined the performers group within the school and there are shows galore and all kinds of fun stuff. In actual fact, it may mean she can get the best of both worlds - paid performing work from time to time when she is older as her teacher has great contacts, whilst training at the amount that she can handle.

We're still being very careful about how much she can handle physically, but she is continually making progress and we can't see any cognitive or emotional changes, both of which we were told to expect. We still have no conclusive cause, however, despite every test you can think of.

• Like 21

You have all shown amazing strength through these episodes. It is lovely to hear what your younger dd has achieved since her strokes.

I hope you have a lovely summer with plenty of family time together before getting your older dd prepared for September.

Lovely to hear that news Regattah ....dancing at the O2...not bad eh!

And Honours for Grade 5 is a great achievement too especially in you DD's case.

She really sounds like a very special little girl.

Also what about your other DD could you update on her when you have a mo

• Like 2

So good to hear of dance helping not only her health and recovery but also being enjoyed for fun and making the obviously best choice to move school- I congratulate you for doing this and ensuring your daughter continues to enjoy dance and congratulate her for all she's achieved!!

Thanks everyone!

Lin - my older DD has just left Hammond after her GCSEs. She's very sad at leaving her friends as they're all so close and are all spreading out quite far around the country but she's going to be starting at Rambert in September and is very excited about it.

• Like 11