THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO ROBERT PARKER

Robert Parker gave his final performance for Birmingham Royal Ballet on the midscale tour (South West) in Truro yesterday.

He gave his utmost till the end and gave us a real treat in Take 5. He danced both the Flying Solo and in the duet with Elisha Willis. I cannot imagine how even Robert had the energy for this feat (anyone who has seen Take 5 will know exactly what I am talking about). Needless to say all the cast rose to the occasion and we were treated to a truly enthralling performance. Robert danced the very fast, fun Flying Solo with his unique energy and enthusiasm and he was breathtaking. He and Elisha then performed the duet with a wonderful rapport - sensual and lyrical. The performance brought the house down.

Robert's final role was as Noel Coward in the quirky The Grand Tour. His characterisation was just beautiful and his eyebrow action deserves and Oscar! At the end of the piece, which is set on a cruise liner, one of the "stewards" showered him with a bucket of glitter confetti and at the curtain calls he was ceremoniously decorated with a lifebuoy bearing the workds "Thank You Bob".

It was a memorable and emotional evening bringing to a close this stage of Robert's remarkable career with BRB.

So much has been written about Robert's performances over the years but for me I will always think of him as Cyrano and as Will Mossop. He had an energy about his dancing that I don't think I have ever seen any other dancer display and he was a wonderful and subtle actor.

I would just like to echo the sentiments written on the lifebuoy and say "Thank You Robert for all your wonderful performances that we have enjoyed over the years". Very best wishes for your new role as Director at Elmhurst.

• Like 5

Hear hear Janet. I too remember his Will Mossop. He was so inspiring to my son at a weekend workshop in Birmingham last year that i can't begrudge Elmhurst snaring him to continue inspiring and guiding the next generation but I think he is still at the top of his form and I would have loved to see the Take 5 number.

This is a recent youtube clip that I adore :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcTHCHDoeJY

• Like 1

I interviewed Robert for ballet.co a few years ago and he was absolutely charming, funny and very modest. I only wish I could have seen him more during his career. His taking over the helm at Elmhurst will no doubt mean many excellent new dancers coming through in the years to come, and I wish him the very best of luck with it.

I'm sad we're just about to leave Elmhurst after 5 very happy and successful years of involvement - especially sad as we'll be missing out on Robert at the helm (although it's been a delight to have Desmond Kelly there for the last 4 years, so I consider us to be very lucky really). He has taught my son's ballet class and pdd classes on many occasions and seems to be a very inpiring teacher. I wish him lots of luck in his new role.

• Like 1