TV feature on Ballet school in Hull

Harwel

Some of you may be interested in a 10 minute clip that was on 'inside out' yesterday (23/3) the yorkshire and lincolnshire one. Available on iplayer. It was a feature for last 10 mins of programme about the Skeleton Hooper dance school and the amazing sucess they have had with children going on to RBS and then onto fantastic careers in dance. They interviewed Xander and Demelza Parish and Kevin O'Hare. I found it very interesting.

• Like 1

Terrific - thanks Neil.  There is definitely something in the water in Hull - just think also of Robert Parker, Ashley Dixon and Neil Westmoreland!

Come to think of it, 3 of the most influential people in dance in the UK at the moment come not only from BRB but Hull!!  They are, of course, Michael O'Hare, Kevin O'Hare and Robert Parker.

• Like 1

I don't have experience of ballet in Hull, but I have met Miss Hooper on several occasions through the IDTA (she a member of and has been chair of the Ballet committee who devise and oversee the ballet syllabus).

I have participated in two workshops on the IDTA Advanced 1 Ballet syllabus and attended lectures on the new IDTA syllabus Grades presented by Vanessa Hooper and some of her very talented youngsters. She is a truly inspirational teacher, I came away from her lectures filled with, if that is possible, even more enthusiasm for ballet (not to mention after the Adv 1, a few aches the next day!). So, I am not surprised she and her school are so successful in bringing out the best in their students!

RK

• Like 2

The school has a great past, but it's not the best in the Hull area at present. I did wonder if the tv and newspaper plug, was to attract more students. It would be interesting to know just when the last student gained a place at White Lodge. It was nice to see Kevin O'Hare on the telly, reminiscing the past at the school.

Our DD goes to the Skelton Hooper school and we sat, poised, to watch it last night. They'd filmed it a few months ago and our DD, along with others in her year, had bought new leotards for the filming and got quite excited at the prospect of appearing on TV. Grandparents were called and advised to watch and we rushed our dinner down to jump on the settee and wait to see her on the telly, but unfortunately, due to the way the clip was edited, our DD's year weren't featured ... :(

Miss Vanessa did send them a message on FB shortly after to say sorry, but I don't suppose you get much say in what is featured and what isn't with these things?

We are very lucky in this area to have some fabulous ballet schools.

Dd did a few classes with Miss Vanessa when we decided to move from first dance school, dd enjoyed the classes and there are some very talented students.

DanceGirlsDad, its a shame you DD missed out, I saw on fb a few students were expecting to be on TV but didn't make through the edit. I'm sure there will be other opportunities. I remember when the filming took place, the kids were so excited.

• Like 1

You obviously hadn't noticed that I've already hidden the posts where he is referred to by name.  He may well not mind, but really the only time we mention students' names is if we are their parents, or if their name is in the public domain, for example when winning a publicised competition or has been in the news.

• Like 1