EYB Casting

thewinelake

DDs are considering auditioning for EYB at Stevenage this year. One slight problem might be if they were selected for casting, to get to that event. I've not emailed yet, but do any previous participants remember what the timing is? i.e. start/end time. 

Thanks

The audition will probably be in the theatre and usually starts about 4.30ish for the younger group, and 6.30ish for the 12+. Each lasts about 1 3/4 hours and everyone auditions all together on stage in a ballet class. You find out at the end of the audition whether you have been accepted and are given all the paperwork then and there.

The casting day is often on a weekday afternoon after school a couple of months before rehearsals start. The rehearsals take place at weekends 12-6 or 1-7 and sometimes if they coincide with school holidays they will do a block of Wed-Sun as well.

DD's performed with them 4 times so we kind of know the system now! Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

The casting day is generally (from memory) 4-8pm and everyone is seen in groups. They then take photos for the local papers. I think when dd has done it I've taken her out of school about 2ish. 

Her school has always been happy about it and they will mark it on the register as something like 'approved sporting activity' or similar.

How far away from Stevenage do you live?

Forgot to mention - although the first audition is usually in the theatre, the rehearsals will be in a local secondary school with dance studios/theatre space, so they can't start the casting rehearsal until the end of the school day anyway!

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Well I live just 30 mins from Stevenage, but DD1 will be in Bonn and I need to work out a flight. Perhaps Miss Janet will be accommodating with a later slot - 5pm would be just about doable (although I still find it feels wrong planning on a positive outcome of the auditions - even though not to do so could result in trouble!)

The way the casting works is that everyone starts with a ballet class (in several different groups depending on age etc). Then each group is taught several extracts from dances in the production, they are moved and shuffled around, trying different combinations according to height/age/experience etc until things are sorted out, and then everyone is told which dances they have been cast in. So usually, everybody would be there for the whole thing.

• Like 1