Summer Intensives for Over-18s...

DavidW

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in the (old and new) BalletCo Forums so apologies if its already been answered!

Does anyone know of any summer intensives in the UK that allow applications for people over 18? I'm a 24 guy, started taking ballet about 18mths ago and currently studying towards my RAD Intermediate Vocational Level exam to give you an idea of my level. Not your normal Summer Intensive student I realise!

The only one I've found so far is the RAD adult one, but unfortunately I'm giving a talk at a conference that weekend for my PhD. I just thought I'd check in case anyone on here knew of anything! I'm primarily interested in Ballet but have done a little of other dance styles in the past. I'm based in Bath but would be happy to travel anywhere really.

Merci!

David

• Like 1

• Hi David, have you checked out Ballet Cymru?? They do an amazing summer intensive and at your age you would be working with and alongside the company.
  • My daughter has done it over the last few years and is now an associate with them as she learnt so much over the summer that she wanted to carry on her training with them.
  • Contact them as they are very approcable and can advice you on working with them and they also arrange for boarding in local hotels if you wanted to stay in Newport for the week, otherwise the train station is across the road, they are based at the fiverfront in Newport, not sure but think there may be a direct train from bath but may be a change at Cardiff Central
  • Hope this helps, and maybe will see you in the summer.

• :D

Edited by sugarplumsmum

Hi SPM!

Thank you so much! I've just had a look at their website and the summer program looks perfect! I can't make week 1 but the Ballet Level 3 in week 2 sounds just about right for me :) I've heard amazing things about the company so it would be a fantastic opportunity to work with the dancers. It means a lot to know somebody has been before and enjoyed it enough to be an associate! And the fact that they can arrange accommodation (at not all that much cost by the looks of last year) means a lot is a big plus.

Thanks for the info, and I'll certainly be thinking of applying - do you know when they usually start accepting applications? Is there auditions?

David

• Like 1

hi David i'm pleased you found the info of help, they have a lots of students from all over the world do the course and a lot of vocational students also do it so you know the training is of a very high standard and am proud to say my Dd has been given an oppurtunity with them.

I think you can apply for the course as soon as its advertised and it do fill up fast as they get a lot off applications, but I do know they have fewer male applicants so they get a better chance of gaining a place.

Email them or facebook them and they can advice you with dates and application forms, they always reply every email, even the silly questions I normally ask :wacko:

Hi David, usually it is a form to download off their website to reserve a place and they ask for the money and confirmation details afterwards. For over 18s accommodation in the university student flats can be arranged by talking to the organiser. They are just a short walk away from the theatre where it is held. Alternatively the Travelodge is less than 5 mins walk away and if you time your booking right can be as little as £15/night (depends on when their sale is and being lucky to some extent but we managed it last year) My DD went last year and loved it and hopes to return this year. She is working at RAD Advanced. I am sure you will find it a very challenging but enjoyable week.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! I've been in touch and got a really fast response (on a Sunday too!) from a lovely lady. She thinks I should go for the Advanced Ballet Course 4 (I was originally thinking the Level 3 would be better for me) and have asked for a couple of photos. Fingers crossed it'll all go well and I'll be able to go! Looks a great program and would love to take part :) But one things for sure, I'll need to step up the training in prep for it!

Will keep you all updated how it goes!

David

I agree that course 4 will probably suit you best, based on last years groups and your age. There was one 15 year old boy on course 3 last year and he took most of his 'classes' with course 4 as there were quite a few older male dancers in that group aswell as the company male dancers who also take part and assist with the pas-de-deux work. Course 4 was all over 16s. I expect you will be fine technique/dance wise but be prepared for a physically demanding week as you do need stamina, especially if you are not used to dancing all day everyday. Very enjoyable though. My DD hopes to do course 4 this year too.

Just to let you know I sent of a couple of pics to them (one of tendu a la seconde and one in first arabesque) and the lovely lady thinks I should be just fine in Advanced 4! She needs to check with her colleague (who is currently in Australia), but all going well it looks like I'll be applying to Level 4 for the summer! :D

And yeah, I've already started stepping up my training a little already - I'm currently in the studio pretty much every day, but am adding in some cardio, core and upper body strength stuff to prepare. Bring it on!

• Like 1

Correct details for this year won't be out until March but if you go on the Ballet Cymru website and look not at this years listing for Riverfront Summer Dance (which only gives dates as you say) but last years March entry you will see descriptions of ages/course content etc. Any other questions and I would contact them directly by email or their facebook page. They are uusally very good at replying - even when overseas.

Yeah - I got all my information from last years program. As far as I can tell the first week is mixed dance (ballet,tap,street,contemporary) courses while the second concentrates on pretty much just ballet (with a little contemporary) with each week having two levels (plus an adult evening course in the second week). Definitely shoot them an email - I was seriously impressed how quickly they got back to me!

• 3 months later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I just wanted to let you all know that I received word yesterday that I got a place on the Ballet Cymru SI! I'm really excited and still a little shocked - as a 24 year old guy who only started ballet 18 months ago, I definitely didn't think I would get a place... I had to describe in some detail my experience and sent off a few photos but it seems I've made the grade. I've sent off my cheque and will be attending the Level 4 Inter/Adv course in July/August. Very excited/nervous! :D

• Like 9

My DS on course 4 too - applied on basis of previous recommendations from this forum.

If only there was an equivalent forum for music! The only one I've found seems far more competitive amongst parents and I really don't want to get into that.

If only I could organise music and dance summer schools so they are on the same week!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Once your payment and medical/permission forms have been received you are sent a letter of what you will need, directions, time and date of final performance etc. There is not a lot to it to be honest. Costuming costs are mentioned as an extra but last year this was just a coloured leotard and the dancers could choose their colour according to what they already had. They don't specify any leotard styles etc and there was a lot of variety but if your DD has not done pas-de-deux work before make sure she has one that fits well as they do 'move' with partner work. One of my DDs is also on course 4 and really looking forward to it - oh and there is a small ballet shop upstairs in the indoor market just a few minutes walk from the theatre. Don't know how much stock they carry but we used it last year for tights after a minor mishap!

2dancersmum the letter arrived today. Many thanks for the advice about the leotards, will make sure DD has a selection and also good news there is a dance shop nearby. Are there any food shops close as dd is taking advantage of the accommodation.

The course is held at the theatre. The tail end of the high street with the bus station are just accross the road(and the indoor market). There are numerous shops, cafes etc within 5 mins walk aswell as the likes of Greggs and Subway. I think one of them is a small Tesco. Her accommodation is in a different direction and closer to the other end of the high street and I am sure there will be food shops close by. Newport centre is not very big and everything is quite close. Failing all that if you are approaching from the motorway there is a large Sainsburys a few minutes drive before you reach the theatre where you could stock up.

Hi 2dancersmom - thanks for all the information. We were going to stock up before we left but it's useful to know what's around as dd is bound to want something else in addition to what's been provided by us!!