Royal Ballet period 4 casting 2012

At last, the RB has taken a leaf out of Wayne Eagling's book at ENB and is showing itself prepared to field dancers in leading roles on the basis of their talent and unique suitability rather than their rank and time served.

???? The RB have been doing that for years (and since before London Festival Ballet even existed).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, just announced, the 21st is now the Lamb, Morera, Bonelli cast.

Not any more it ain't: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-the-prince-of-pagodas I am totally fed up with all this chopping and changing of casts: I got rid of a perfectly good ticket for the above cast (and had to upgrade for another performance) last week because I was going to get duplication on the 21st. I'm now getting a *different* duplication, and no chance to see that cast. I think I shall just go for day tickets from now on - might get a better chance of seeing who I want to.

No reason given, but considering that it's all three principals out, I wonder if it may be due to the intense workload coming up (Bonelli in particular has a great deal to do that we know of). (BTW, Rojo appears scheduled to dance in all performances of Birthday Offering). If that is the case, then I'm certainly not holding my breath for the performance on the 29th, one day before the triple bill opens.

Looks like I didn't need to book the 27th to see the Beatriz Stix-Brunell cast as I will now see them tomorrow, want to go both times as I have something else on the 27th, and a rail ticket for tomorrow plus a better seat! Actually I wonder if it will change again next week.

Alison "(BTW, Rojo appears scheduled to dance in all performances of Birthday Offering). "

Where did you read this? The ROH website is still showing Nuñez & Soares on 3rd & 6th July. Soares confirmed recently on Twitter that he was dancing in Birthday Offering.

Tamara's website only shows 3 dates for Birthday Offering.

Perhaps she is dancing the Grey solo and doing the pdd. I'm sure I have seen Birthday Offering before where the female in the pdd hasn't danced the Fonteyn Solo.

Really? I've never heard of that, but then I must admit that I'm so unfamiliar with Birthday Offering that I wouldn't necessarily have realised who was dancing whose solos.

No reason given, but considering that it's all three principals out, I wonder if it may be due to the intense workload coming up (Bonelli in particular has a great deal to do that we know of).

Apparently they've changed the casting of the four kings to match, too, so I suspect that I shall end up not seeing all of the secondary casting, too.

Marianela Nunez is dancing the Fonteyn solo in her two scheduled performances while Tamara Rojo is dancing the Grey solo in her three performances.It remains to be seen whether she will also dance it in the other two.

Does anyone know what the casting is for the remaining performances of Pagodas? I want to see it again but with a different cast (tonight was Stix-Brunell and Hirano).

Any inside info most welcome!

Linda

Next Friday will be your only chance to see a different cast. It's the final performance and is currently scheduled to be Sarah Lamb, Federico Bonelli and Laura Morera. I can't, however, claim to have inside info. It's on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/events/z2jdr

At this moment there are only 3 tickets left and they're rather expensive.

Edited by Bluebird

Does anyone know what the casting is for the remaining performances of Pagodas? I want to see it again but with a different cast (tonight was Stix-Brunell and Hirano).

Any inside info most welcome!

Linda

Linda, who danced the four kings last night? We have tickets for next Wednesday, same cast, but don't know who the kings will be. I do wish the ROH would announce more than just the lead dancers!

Thanks

Anne

• Like 1

Linda, who danced the four kings last night? We have tickets for next Wednesday, same cast, but don't know who the kings will be. I do wish the ROH would announce more than just the lead dancers!

Thanks

Anne

Kings were:

North - Andre Uspenski; East - Johanne Stepanek; West - Jonathan Watkins; South - Brian Maloney (replacing injured Ricardo Cervera)

Ms Stix-Brunell was again fearlessly impressive last night, even when a prop blindfold couldn't be tied around her eyes, making the Act 2 duet perplexing to those unfamiliar with the plot, she still managed to convey a sense of unseeing the Salamander Prince so he could take the form of her true Prince. And her dancing was just beautiful.

Some casting has come up on the ROH website for Titian 2012, same for all performances,

Benjamin, Rojo, Acosta, Watson, Stix-Brunell, Lamb, Hamilton

Click through for more details:

Credits

Choreography (Machina) Kim Brandstrup Choreography (Machina) Wayne McGregor Choreography (Trespass) Alastair Marriott Choreography (Trespass) Christopher Wheeldon Choreography (Diana & Actaeon) Liam Scarlett Choreography (Diana & Actaeon) Will Tuckett Choreography (Diana & Actaeon) Jonathan Watkins Music Jonathan Dove Music Nico Muhly Music Mark-Anthony Turnage Artist Chris Ofili Artist Conrad Shawcross Artist Mark Wallinger Librettist Alastair Middleton Lighting design Lucy Carter

Performers

Conductor Dominic Grier Conductor Thomas Seligman Conductor Barry Wordsworth Principal (Machina) Leanne Benjamin Principal (Machina) Tamara Rojo Principal (Machina) Carlos Acosta Principal (Machina) Edward Watson Principal (Trespass) Beatriz Stix-Brunell Principal (Trespass) Sarah Lamb Principal (Trespass) Melissa Hamilton Principal (Trespass) Nehemiah Kish Principal (Trespass) Steven McRae Principal (Diana & Actaeon) Marianela Nuñez Principal (Diana & Actaeon) Federico Bonelli Orchestra Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

And now there's this: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/metamorphosis-titian-2012-casting-announced

Personally, I'm not absolutely sure that 8 principals across 3 new works is totally "unprecedented" - after all, it's probably fewer than were in the last "new works" triple bill, isn't it? Not to mention that you'd quite likely get that in a performance of Symphony in C ...

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that ALL Company dancers were involved and all would perform in Metamorphosis?

Yes, I heard that too - though not all dancers in every piece of course. :-)

Most will only be appearing in the one, though some have parts in 2 of the pieces (don't know the who, or in which, sadly)

Personally, I'm not absolutely sure that 8 principals across 3 new works is totally "unprecedented" - after all, it's probably fewer than were in the last "new works" triple bill, isn't it? Not to mention that you'd quite likely get that in a performance of Symphony in C ...

In the Opening Night Cast for Sweet Violets there were 7 Principals out of the 8 named parts! There was another 2 principals in Polyphonia and I can think of at least 5 in Carbon Life. Can't recall a night quite so Principal-star-studded :)

Can anyone tell me where to find the latest news on casting for the Birthday Offering/Month mixed bill? I can't find anything other than the original posting on the ROH website but with so many recent injuries I assume there must be SOME changes?

Thanks

Linda