Royal Ballet period 4 casting 2012

Royal Ballet 2011/2012 Period 4 casting

(m = matinée)

Ballo della regina / La Sylphide May 21 - Jun 15

Ballo della regina

Nuñez, Polunin (May 21, 24, 26; June 12)

Cuthbertson, Bonelli (May 22, 26m; June 7, 15)

La Sylphide

Cojocaru, McRae (May 21)

Marquez, McRae (May 24, 26)

Rojo, Pennefather (May 22, 26m)

Lamb, Polunin (June 7, 15)

Cojocaru, Kobborg (June 12)

The Prince of the Pagodas June 2-29

Nuñez*, Rojo*, Kish* (June 2, 6, 18)

Cuthbertson*, Yanowsky*, Pennefather* (June 9, 21, 27)

Lamb*, Morera*, Bonelli* (June 13, 29)

Birthday Offering / A Month in the Country / Les Noces June 30 - July 9

Birthday Offering

Rojo*,Bonelli* (June 30; July 4, 7)

Nuñez*, Soares (July 3, 6)

A Month in the Country

Yanowsky, Pennefather (June 30; July 4, 7)

Cojocaru*, Polunin* (July 3, 6)

Les Noces

Arestis, Hirano* (June 30; July 4, 7)

McNally*, Hristov (July 3, 6)

Titian 2012 July 14-20

(casting to be announced)

*denotes a debut in the role

Edited by JohnM

I hope they get around to announcing the rest of the casting for Birthday Offering in the reasonable future - as, I seem to remember, they used to do. I see Rojo still hasn't got her wished-for Natalia Petrovna, but then it does rather seem that management is pursuing a policy of casting principals in only one major part in a triple bill.

I just had a look at the Period 4 prices. The prices for Metamorphosis: Titian 2012 are lower than those for Prince of the Pagodas EXCEPT for the price category which covers the rear and side amphi,row B in the block next to the stage and the Lower Slips. In these areas the prices are actually higher than those for Prince of the Pagodas. I've written to the Box Office querying this and they've replied that it's correct. Odd that they should 'victimise' one group of patrons in this way!

Nothing that those in charge of pricing do would surprise me - except if they were, for instance, to reinstate the number of tickets at low price (the blue ones?) which there were in the amphi until a few seasons ago. Thanks for the warning: I'll book (or not) accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

The Prince of the Pagodas June 2-29

Nuñez*, Rojo*, Kish* (June 2, 6, 18)

Cuthbertson*, Yanowsky*, Pennefather* (June 9, 21, 27)

Lamb*, Morera*, Bonelli* (June 13, 29)

I am surprised this hasn't been cast younger for Belle Rose.

Who will be the fool? I guess this would have gone to Polunin - so possibly McCrae?

Wondering where I would make Whitehead king of - north or south?

I was surprised Steven McRae wasn't given the Prince,( I would have liked to have seen him with a younger Rose too, say Choe or Takada) so he might get the Fool, also Valentino Zuchetti and Michael Stojko were good as Puck.

I can see Eric Underwood in the Ashley Page King role.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ballo della regina / La Sylphide May 21 - Jun 15

Ballo della regina

Nuñez, Polunin (May 21, 24, 26; June 12)

Cuthbertson, Bonelli (May 22, 26m; June 7, 15)

Birthday Offering / A Month in the Country / Les Noces June 30 - July 9

A Month in the Country

Yanowsky, Pennefather (June 30; July 4, 7)

Cojocaru*, Polunin* (July 3, 6)

I see from the period 4 booklet that Kish replaces Polunin in Ballo, and Bonelli replaces him in Month. There's still a TBC for La Sylphide (and, as far as I know, Fille)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd been wondering where the cast changes would show on the new site, so now we know. Very disappointing if Pennefather's not yet recovered, and I'm hugely disappointed that I won't be able to see Cuthbertson/Bonelli in Ballo. A good chance for Dawid Trzensimiech, though, with currently 3 performances and 2 ballerinas, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

As pointed out by Paul Arrowsmith in another thread (thanks, Paul!), Yanowsky is no longer down for Princess Epine in Prince of the Pagodas. It looks to me as though she's being replaced by Itziar Mendizabal.

I understand that Lauren Cuthbertson is actually having an operation on her foot today, and she will, I imagine, be out of action for some time, sadly. It's very unfortunate after her long absence last year.

(Edit: casting discussion relating to Prince of the Pagodas added from another thread)

I believe (from those more in the know than me) Stix-Brunell is replacing Nunez in Alice's Adventures.

This has not been confirmed by ROH or RB.

They said in the interview she would be the new Alice - but not who she is replacing.

As it's now been mentioned on the radio, I'm happy to say that Chris Wheeldon told me earlier this week that Beatriz Stix-Brunell & Nehemiah Kish will be replacing Marianela Nuñez and Rupert Pennefather in the forthcoming Alice.

I wish they were doing the dress rehearsal (for some pics). Much as I love Sarah Lamb, we had her last year for the Friends rehearsal, so would have been nice to get someone different.

That would have made perfect sense, Dave.
I never quite understand why photographers aren't invited to dress rehearsals for other casts; this time particularly as few photographs will exist of Stix-Brunell, although I recall you took an especially fine one during her solo in Ballo della regina.

Carol, sometimes there is more than one photocall with different casts but not all the photographers get invited. The photos the RB released for Alice last season were of Cuthbertson and Polunin (first cast) rather than Lamb and Bonelli who did the Friends' rehearsal.

But Dave we have got someone different .... Steven McRae ..... and presumably a few other cast changes too.

Stix-Brunell and Kish did Friday's rehearsal, so maybe there will be some pics from that. Also Paul Kay danced the Mad Hatter and Laura Morera the Red Queen.

The ROH site now shows Beatriz Stix-Brunell replacing Lauren Cuthbertson in Prince of the Pagodas on the 9th and the 17th June, partnered by Ryoichi Hirano - still shows Cuthbertson/ Pennefather for the 21st but presumably that will also be changed.

Edited by alison
To add a load of casting posts from another thread

This is very sad news for Lauren and Rupert and those of us who had booked specifically to see them in Pagodas. At the same time, it is wonderful news for both Beatriz and Ryo whom some of us were fortunate to see rehearsing at the Insight evening. At last, the RB has taken a leaf out of Wayne Eagling's book at ENB and is showing itself prepared to field dancers in leading roles on the basis of their talent and unique suitability rather than their rank and time served.