The "Doing Dance A-Z"

Pups_mum

Pups_mum, this was a great idea. Thank you!

Anjuli, did I mention before that you should just be glad we're not discussing motor cars? The terms there are pretty much incomprehensible between the two Englishes, it seems to me!

PS: where I come from, we sit exams rather than sitting for them ...

Americans have no concept of a car without a motor - thus, "motor car" is never heard.

Yes, I am aware of the various word differentials in the realm of motorized transport having visited the gloriously beautiful land of New Zealand and a lifetime of reading English literature.

BTW - I just bought a new motor car which is very good on petrol, has an automatic locking boot and bonnet. And, heated/AC seat for one's bum.

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R - is also for RBS which for ballet co'ers stands for the Royal Ballet School and for normal people stands for the Royal Bank of Scotland. You need to take out a lot of money from one in order to attend the other...

S is for skipping around the room - the innocent way in which the ballet habit kicks in

V is for vaucuum cleaner - the final resting place for most hairpins....

W is for Waiting List - abbreviated to WL which can also stand for White Lodge, the lower school of the Royal Ballet.

If at any point you find yourself on the WL for WL you need to resort to that other very importnat W - Wine :blink:

• Like 10

Americans have no concept of a car without a motor - thus, "motor car" is never heard.

Yes, I am aware of the various word differentials in the realm of motorized transport having visited the gloriously beautiful land of New Zealand and a lifetime of reading English literature.

BTW - I just bought a new motor car which is very good on petrol, has an automatic locking boot and bonnet. And, heated/AC seat for one's bum.

Due to your correct English use of the word "bum", I'm guessing you know why it makes me snigger when Americans use the word "Fanny Pack" within earshot of an English person? :-))

• Like 3

Q is for Questions

We are all so grateful for the forum and the oppportunity to ask and get anwers to all our many questions

Y is for Yes

The best word to be found in a letter

Z is for Zeal

The amount of passion and enthusiasm shown by our DC's for all things dance

• Like 1

Due to your correct English use of the word "bum", I'm guessing you know why it makes me snigger when Americans use the word "Fanny Pack" within earshot of an English person? :-))

Likewise when a Brit asks an American for a cigarette - oh dear - do I even dare to use that three letter word beginning with an "F"?

The first time I heard it I was gobsmacked. (took me a looooong time to figure that one out!)

• Like 5

My uni friend John asked his cousin for a fag whilst in the US. The cousin's face was a wonder to behold as was John's when the cousin told him what it meant there!

It could be worse...had your friend asked to light the fag (there I said it) - he could have been accused of a hate crime - which is, of course, far more evil than the same crime committed without hate.

Now where were we?

Ah......Z is for the zeal and zest the practitioners bring to the ballet.

• Like 6

I'm sure Anjuli will appreciate my language blunder whilst in the States. I asked if anyone had a rubber I could borrow! I still remember the shocked silence until someone said ' I assume you mean an eraser?'. Time for a red-faced quick exit!

• Like 7

Spooky - that would give one pause - but, on the other hand, it probably wasn't the word "rubber" -that was the shocker but the fact that you wanted to borrow it - which implies it will be returned.

Ian - that whole contretemps in 1776 wasn't about language - it was about which Boston would host the tea party.

Churchill is certainly one of the most interesting people in history - I think I've read just about everything he ever wrote - including his entire set on WW2.

• Like 2

Only U to go any suggestions

Well i started so i'll finish!

U is for Urdang academy

School for the performing arts in London.

there - all done, we did it!

Edited to add - great minds think alike Elfiesmum, we were posting at the same time!

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 1

Mentioning Urdang, can I just add Good luck to DF daughter who graduated from Urdang last year and tomorrow is dancing in the opening night of Top Hat at the Aldwych,

• Like 4