London travel disruption this weekend - and other times

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shade said:

For those who use SouthWestern Railways be aware that there may be strikes throughout December. 

Every day except the 1st and the 12th, effectively.

IME, this line has managed to run about half of their trains during similar - though shorter - strikes, so don’t despair just yet!

There are usually some trains running on strike days went through all this a couple of years ago with Southern Rail 😢 but does depend which drivers union etc....there were a couple of days every so often when absolutely nothing was running but that was rarer. 

Okay that's the one where there are usually at least 50 per cent of trains running ....often higher.

The southern dispute went on for ages and was about the use or rather not use of guards on trains. 

It seemed daft to me not to have at least one guard as well as the driver on board a train so I was sympathetic.....though the sympathy was sorely tested on nights returning to Brighton after 10 pm to be confronted by cancelled trains 😬 

I was lucky .....as it was because of these strikes that I decided to stay over in London if having to travel back after 9.30pm ....so stay at partners flat now whereas I always used to just go up for the day even if it meant not getting home till after midnight on freezing nights in winter 😩

Being able to stay over has taken a lot of stress out of doing latish activities or going to the ballet in London.....as it did start to affect my health ....but know I am very lucky to be able to do this. 

It was when ASLEF Union either joined the RMT Union or had a separate strike which really brought everything to a complete halt .....couldn't travel on those days.

Edited by LinMM

• 3 weeks later...

Hope the incident at London Bridge hasn’t affected anyone. Sounds like disruption continues today.

SWR strike starts Monday - special timetables are in place for some lines. However, I expect overcrowding and also late services have been dropped. Anyone going to lengthy performances may need to check trains. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are a horrendous number of Underground line closures this weekend:

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/?startDate=2020-02-22T00%3A00%3A00&endDate=2020-02-23T23%3A59%3A59&dateTypeSelect=This weekend

In particular, from a dance point of view, they are likely to make getting to the Barbican for the Durante/Isadora and to Sadler's Wells for Alina Cojocaru rather more difficult than it ought to be :( 

EDIT: And I believe there's strike action on the Bakerloo line as well?

Edited by alison
Add extra information

• 1 year later...

There has just been an announcement by Southern Rail that there are to be NO trains into Victoria and Clapham Junction until the 10th January because of Covid! 
This means trains are finishing at East Croydon. 
However there will be no trains from East Croydon to London Bridge either 🙄

Im hoping that the Thameslink line from Brighton will work normally during this period otherwise can forget London until the 10th. 
There are four of us supposed to be going to the Van Gogh Experience show on Jan 5th ( bought the tickets over a year ago now) Now looking rather dodgy! 

• Thanks 1

• alison changed the title to London travel disruption this weekend - and other times

So I guess that means you get off at East Croydon, 10-minute walk to West Croydon just so you can get on the Overground to Canada Water, then Jubilee Line to Westminster and ... good grief, who's going to want to do that?  Not many, I suspect.  I was forced to do it from rather further in yesterday and it is an absolute pain, so must be even worse from Croydon.

Well I’m hoping the Thameslink line will run from Brighton to London stations normally unless they are finishing at East Croydon too!! 
Otherwise people could pick up a through Thameslink train from Brighton! 
It may mean a more local service from East Croydon to London Bridge isn’t running but can still use the longer distant trains. 
There’s no way I would pfaff about with the West Croydon job lol!! Imagine doing all that to get home at night 😳 

59 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh "£$%"^"&"%&" !

Is this why there were no Southern trains at all from Victoria yesterday, or was that just standard "seasonal" engineering works?

There have been a good few weekends recently where no Southern services out/into Victoria, including Christmas week - this has been publicised for ages. Hadn't heard they were going on til the 10th though. Saying that, I usuaully use London Bridge anyway

What's annoying in my case, is they don't run the direct trains from my station to London Bridge either on these weekends, we have to change at Norwood Junction (to connect with the ones coming via E Croydon - or walk/tram into E Croydon), but at least they then run non-stop to LB from Norwood. Then connect from LB (platforms 8/9) to Charing X for ROH. NO tube ride! (Or go to Balham of course, and then Northern Line to Leicester Sq)

The announcement this morning is not engineering related it’s all Covid related! So I suppose rationing out drivers though not sure why the extra bit from East Croydon into Victoria would really make that much difference 🤔 

Thameslink from Brighton ARE running ...at the moment anyway...and so will stop at East Croydon and then on into London as usual but warn that until the 10th there may be reduced service and cancellations may be made at short notice...ha! 

Edited by LinMM

On 30/12/2021 at 13:11, LinMM said:

There has just been an announcement by Southern Rail that there are to be NO trains into Victoria and Clapham Junction until the 10th January because of Covid! 
This means trains are finishing at East Croydon. 
However there will be no trains from East Croydon to London Bridge either 🙄

Im hoping that the Thameslink line from Brighton will work normally during this period otherwise can forget London until the 10th. 
There are four of us supposed to be going to the Van Gogh Experience show on Jan 5th ( bought the tickets over a year ago now) Now looking rather dodgy! 

The in-house train consultant tells me that there should be Southern trains running from East Croydon to London Bridge, so check whether that will still work for you.

• Like 1

Thanks Alison but if the Thameslink trains are running as they say they are it’s easier for me to jump on to one of their trains and get off at City Thameslink. 
I will be hoping to use first next Wednesday when going to Van Gogh Experience and from City Thameslink it’s just a no. 11 bus towards Liverpool st so should be okay. 
If going to Covent Garden it’s a no.11 or 15 going the other way. 
At the moment there’s a Thameslink train every half an hour ( it’s usually every 15 mins) 
I just hope that situation doesn’t change before next Wednesday. 

• 1 year later...

If anyone is coming to the Sunday matinee of Carlos at 50 from the south, please be aware that Charing Cross and Waterloo East railway stations are closed, and trains are being diverted to Cannon Street.  So make sure you leave extra time if applicable.

Southeastern stations are claiming that Victoria railway station is "closed" this Sunday.  That may or may not simply mean that the "Southeastern" half of the station is closed, or that the whole thing is closed, but I thought I'd better report it for the sake of those going to see Australian Ballet or other performances.

• Thanks 1

Except no Southern trains to Brighton at all this weekend because of Pride as they deem it too dangerous with only the reduced service operating ….in fact I think all Thameslink trains might be starting and finishing from Three Bridges ( near Gatwick airport) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a bit niche but I've just heard lines in to Paddington will be shut for engineering works 24-27 Dec inclusive...I assume this will affect Elizabeth Line services to as it's to do with work at Old Oak Common. I think my trip to see Leticia Dias as SPF is doomed. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I think my trip to see Leticia Dias as SPF is doomed. 

live in hope @Rob S ….

last season Mariko Sasaki was only cast in one performance and I despaired of seeing her as my plans took me elsewhere. However during the actual run she stepped in to dance several more performances. Beautifully I might add. 

• Like 1

I’ve given up booking anything in that Christmas to New Year period …in fact that whole school holiday period as inevitably these days it’s used for engineering works so messed up journeys at the darkest time of the year! I know they’ve got to fit it in sometime though some bits of the network ….between Brighton and London at any rate …..they seem to have been working on forever…..how many times do rails need replacing, junctions updated etc!! 
Personally I wish they’d work on the railways more in August than December for obvious reasons!!!

Still let’s hope as PeterS says above that Leticia Dias ( love her) gets a couple more opportunities….though of course this would mean at the expense of somebody else….and such is the talent in the Company at the moment that any dancer “indisposed” is going to be sadly missed by many!! 

Edited by LinMM

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, alison said:

Looks as though there may not be any SouthEastern services into Victoria this weekend.  If this might affect you, please check and adjust your journey accordingly.

Alison, I have opened a new thread for all things transport related, so I am moving this there if I can.

To avoid further confusion, I am also locking this thread.

• Like 1

• Sim locked this topic