London travel disruption this weekend - and other times

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the idiots in red are planning to caper about on Saturday as I am coming to the Matinee?  Would need to come an hour earlier if they are.  Yesterday was horrendous, despite the police having, supposedly, banning further demonstrations.  Most grateful for any further information if anyone has any.

It really is getting so that London becomes a no-go area.  Protests should have dedicated space.  I'm thinking of asking ROH to resell my ticket because much though I want to see Hayward and Campbell, yesterday was such a horrendous experience I'm beginning to question coming to the capital anymore.  If you are coming in to a station south of the river its virtually impossible to cross.

• Like 2

Yes I agree in that the last two weeks have been particularly disruptive so can then the Brexit thing can seem like the last straw. 

Im in favour of these climate change alerts but do think there should be a time limit on how many days running disruption should be allowed especially on week days when people are trying to get to and from work. Self employed people are particularly affected by this.

Not that I can travel at the moment but I'm incredibly lucky living in Brighton as I can use Southern Rail into Victoria or Thameslink into Blackfriars or Kings Cross so can get into London a variety of ways if need be. 

Once on some massive transport strike a few years back I was going to a matinee at the Colisseum and decided to walk from Victoria 

It took me 40 mins and was actually quite a pleasant route. Was a nice day though.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

People’s Vote march is Park Lane 12:00 to Parliament Square 2:00 and Covent Garden is not included in the route.  No doubt central London will be busy.

Hopefully it'll be okay to get to the ROH for 1.30pm then, if all the protesters are mid-march at that time.

1 hour ago, Colman said:

TfL are warning of exit only on all the tube stations near Covent Garden in the afternoon.

Not looking so good for trying to get home afterwards though!

44 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Hopefully it'll be okay to get to the ROH for 1.30pm then, if all the protesters are mid-march at that time.

Not looking so good for trying to get home afterwards though!

Well the list of potential exit-only tubes doesn't actually include Covent Garden, so I'm hoping that will be the way home!

The Marxh may not be going directly past Covent Garden but certainly where buses are concerned there won't be any crossing central London judging by other similar occasions 

For example no. 19 and 38  will stop around Hyde park or even as far back as Knightsbridge and won't start again till Holborn!! Probably the 790 will start and finish  at Marble Arch. 

Other buses get diverted to the same route so there's a massive jam up which then makes the tubes a nightmare to travel on as well. 

I would say allow at least two hours extra time for travelling just to be on the safe side unless you're coming in from the North. 

I’m confused! For most people surely Waterloo will still be OK as for those who can’t walk across the bridge there are plenty of buses which head east at the Strand rather than west. Unless we’re expecting Waterloo Bridge to be closed for some reason?

I've just checked the TFL website and from Victoria Station the 11 bus will run as far as Westminster City Hall, then divert to cross the river and back from Waterloo Bridge to the Aldwych, in the late evening it looks normal service from the Strand to Victoria via Westminster.

Last time I think the road from Waterloo station to Euston was okay ....it was in fact the cut off point for east/west travelling buses. 

There were no buses west of this road until the other side of central London around the Hyde park area. 

So I would imagine you could get a bus across Waterloo Bridge and get off the stop before Holborn to get to the ROH.

But just allow for there to be a lot of people around .....a lot probably coming into Waterloo Station ....all that adds time to a journey. 

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well the list of potential exit-only tubes doesn't actually include Covent Garden, so I'm hoping that will be the way home!

May I ask where you found the list? I looked on TfL's website earlier for tube changes for this weekend but could only find details of closed lines, not restricted stations.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask where you found the list? I looked on TfL's website earlier for tube changes for this weekend but could only find details of closed lines, not restricted stations.

I get a weekly email update from TfL listing all issues affecting travel in London in the coming weekend - it's very useful. I must have signed up to it via their website.

The relevant section said: 'From 10:00 until 18:00 on Saturday, Tube services in central London will be extremely busy, due to a march. To help manage the crowds safely, the following stations near the start of the march will become exit and interchange only from about 11:00: Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge and Green Park. We expect Westminster station will become exit and interchange only by 14:00. Other nearby stations will also be exceptionally busy, and may be made exit or interchange only during the day: Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Leicester Square, Charing Cross, Embankment, Piccadilly Circus, Waterloo, St James’s Park, Vauxhall and Victoria.'

• Like 2

Thanks. I got that weekly update email for several years but don't seem to have had it for the last couple of months. Maybe I accidentally unsubscribed. Anyway, neither Covent Garden nor Holborn are on that list so hopefully I'll be okay as they are the two I use for the ROH.

• Like 1

For those crossing the river from Waterloo, my preferred option is to use the Jubilee footbridge - less likely to be targeted and has the advantage of not having to breath in traffic fumes!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. I got that weekly update email for several years but don't seem to have had it for the last couple of months. Maybe I accidentally unsubscribed.

More likely the system decided to unsubscribe you.  It did me, a while ago, and I've only just signed up again.

6 hours ago, MJW said:

For those crossing the river from Waterloo, my preferred option is to use the Jubilee footbridge - less likely to be targeted and has the advantage of not having to breath in traffic fumes!

Alternatively, trains from Waterloo East into Charing Cross.  Or, of course, the Tube, to Ch X or Leicester Square.

It won’t let me subscribe 😢 keeps coming up with an error!..... I don’t fill in the Oystercard section because I don’t need it ....and wondered whether not having a London address prohibits you being able to subscribe 🤔

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

It won’t let me subscribe 😢 keeps coming up with an error!..... I don’t fill in the Oystercard section because I don’t need it ....and wondered whether not having a London address prohibits you being able to subscribe 🤔

I don't know, LinMM - I wouldn't have thought they'd even need your address simply to sign up to an email list. But I can't remember signing up so I'm not sure!

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I've just (re-)signed up & it worked for me only giving them my name & email address. I didn't fill in the Oyster card number or postcode fields as they weren't marked as complusory. So it doesn't look as if you have to have a London address, which I don't if I had given it to them.

Oh I didn’t realise the postcode wasnt compulsory 🙄

Theres a long list of things underneath that the email presumably covers .... I didn’t tick all of those either...eg I won’t be cycling in London any time soon 

Theres is NO Circle line this weekend and part District service so should be OK from Victoria to Temple/Embankment are ok on District and easy to walk up to ROH from either.

The 91 bus from Crouch End to Trafalgar Square ( Kings X and Euston) will terminate short at Aldwych and not go along Strand to Trafalgar Square due to a Peoples' Vote March.

59/68 cross river from Euston looked OK when I checked yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...