GCSE Dance - any thoughts?

aileen

I attended a catholic high school with performing arts status and a sixth form. Absolutely brilliant school! However I opted to do GCSE dance with the school dance teacher out of school hours along with a group of girls from the dance school I attended. It did mean my parents had to pay for it, but myself and my parents agreed it was worth paying for so that I would be with other able dancers. Unfortunately some students think that dance is a total cop out. They barely scraped passes and generally infuriated the dance teacher. On the other hand the group that paid externally completed the GCSE in one year, and graded between A*-C

I continued to do AS and A2 Dance with the same dance teacher. I thoroughly enjoyed both GCSE and ALevel Dance. I had a brilliant teacher who although not classically trained, acknowledged ballet as the fundamental basis for dance. I still have files and files of notes on the progression and development of dance, dance history, notable choreographers, dance pioneers, health and safety for the dancer, anatomy, choreographic techniques, repertoire. All of which have been loaned out numerous times to various students.

I got to watch countless pieces of dance from video archives to actual live performances. The school pretty much funded all of our trips, we travelled from Staffordshire to the West End to see the Lion King for £5. I was exposed to choreographers I doubt I would have had any knowledge of had it not been for dance.

I completely understand why some dancers may be reluctant to take GCSE dance at school, but if the dance teacher is good, there is so much you can learn. It throws a whole new perspective on dance. And for any dancer serious or hobby it's nice to have your commitment acknowledged in the form of a GCSE and it's so interesting!

I'm a dance teacher in a BBO/IDTA school and I honestly believe my GCSE/A Level dance training alongside my teacher training has made me a better teacher. I have a much broader dance knowledge that extends beyond the syllabus. With all that said I am a complete and utter geek and probably would have pushed myself to learn more anyway. Isn't that why we are all on this forum to learn more and improve our knowledge of the dance world?

• Like 5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bluebird22, sounds like GCSE dance is worth taking another look at. I just didn't like the way they told her during a options meeting that she would need it for vocational school, and they expected her to do it. It's a fee paying school, so they say they would run the GCSE for minimum of 2 children. I'm from a non dancer back ground so often use this forum for help and info, thanks for your insight. Much appreciated X

Nancy19 I certainly wouldn't say she would need it for vocational schools, a lot of the girls I teach/taught don't have access to GCSE dance at their schools (funding cuts, not classed as a "real" subject but that's another rant) and they haven't been restricted with vocational school applications.

But if not many people are given the option to take it surely it's something different she can put down on her application ? Might give her more to talk about in the interview side? Food for thought!

Nancy - she definitely does not need GCSE dance for vocational school and it will not go against her if she doesn't have it. Not all schools even offer dance as a GCSE subject. DD's school didn't and she went to vocational school at 16.

Really it is a personal choice. If her other subjects are all very academic, she might like the chance to move away from a desk for a while during the day. I think the problems with GCSE dance tend to occur in schools where the standard of dance teaching is not that strong or where you have students pick the subject as a 'soft' subject, thinking it will be a laugh and having no real interest in the subject. It does not sound like this will be the case in your DD's school

• Like 1

I can echo what 2dsncersmum says in that it is definatly not needed for vocational school.

Standards vary widely & if bluebird for example had gone to HL? Instead of SMW? She might have had a different experience with teachers.

Dd wishes she didn't have to take gcse dance not because she sees it as a soft subject but because she really wants to take gcse music & would have liked to take drama too as her opportunities for other drama are more limited & she adores music composition.

At the school ds goes to & that Dd nearly went to (an independent) gcse dance isn't an option but they encourage their dancers by giving performance opportunities & supporting the students with their outside school dance commitments eg off for exams /performances etc is never a problem.

• Like 1

We were told the same, that dd needed a good mark at GCSE dance as she would need it for vocational training. I think that maybe some GCSE Dance teachers misunderstand the nature of high-end vocational dance training, particularly ballet.

Perhaps they see the career progression as GCSE Dance, then A-level Dance, then a local BTEC college course, then possibly a university course. While it is true that many colleges/universities offering dance courses will require GCSE/A-level dance in order to be accepted, it is definitely not a requirement of vocational dance schools. 

I can't imagine that vocational schools take any notice whatsoever whether auditionees have GCSE dance. My DD didn't take it; it never occurred to me that it would be even slightly useful. I much preferred that she develop (and prove) her drama ability by doing Drama GCSE. She was already doing enough dance, both in terms of her development and her qualifications.

• Like 3