Phyllis Bedells Bursary 2015

Nana Lily

Does anyone have any experience of either a DC taking part or have any of you folks out there been to watch this RAD event. DD gained a distinction in Adv1 and we are considering entering her (she and I).

Hesitant for two reasons;First pressure of time with GCSE's, sixth form auditions and the preparation time, travel etc involved and second,  the cost; its £72 to enter, plus you have to join the RAD, then for us there would be train, hotels and food while away, so it will cost several hundred pounds.

This year they have added in an additional solo; the 'dancers own'. I am unclear if this replaces the set variation, its an additional option or they have to do both, its not too clear on the information so I have emailed the RAD.

Any insights appreciated.

NL

• Like 1

The opportunity to dance a variation and or own solo with an audience, so performance experience, and the opportunity to take an on open class. The lucky winner will have an award of £1000 towards further training. If we lived in London or had a relatively easy commute it would be a much easier decision.

• Like 2

It is worthwhile and we really enjoyed the day - think my dd was one of only 2 non vocational that entered that year.

The extra costs were travel and stay in London as had to be there very early, private coaching for the solos and we had to purchase a tutu skirt but would do it all again!

• Like 3

The odds of winning are higher now that RBS don't enter anymore :) as it was someone from RBS that won every year until they stopped doing RAD a year ago.

My DD did PB a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed watching it. Given that there are so few competitions available in this country (my DD never did festivals), it was a really different and exciting experience. It was also good to see what DD was up against in terms of competition for 6th form places as it was year 11 audition year so gave her a good sense of perspective.

My only disappointment was that there were no 2nd or 3rd places and no commendations, so it was literally just one winner and that was it. It was a boy winner and I was left wondering who they would have chosen from the girls.

• Like 1

The odds of winning are higher now that RBS don't enter anymore :) as it was someone from RBS that won every year until they stopped doing RAD a year ago.

My DD did PB a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed watching it. Given that there are so few competitions available in this country (my DD never did festivals), it was a really different and exciting experience. It was also good to see what DD was up against in terms of competition for 6th form places as it was year 11 audition year so gave her a good sense of perspective.

My only disappointment was that there were no 2nd or 3rd places and no commendations, so it was literally just one winner and that was it. It was a boy winner and I was left wondering who they would have chosen from the girls.

'My only disappointment was that there were no 2nd or 3rd places and no commendations, so it was literally just one winner and that was it. It was a boy winner and I was left wondering who they would have chosen from the girls.'

This year there will also be a choreographic award for the 'dancers own' variation. An additional opportunity for some recognition

• 2 weeks later...

As my dd is eligible for this we're toying with the idea of putting her forward but she has never done anything like this eg doesnt do festivals/ awards etc and it could be out of her league, despite being technically eligible. Has anyone been to the performances for this award before? Does it tend to be dancers who are all outstanding or is there a slight range? Not saying i doubt my dd of course but dont want to encourage her into sth that we would live to regret! Plus her dance school has no history of doing awards etc so no experience to draw on at the school...

Chaperone everyone that I have spoken to says that it is a lovely day to take part in ,whether you win or not. My DD was hoping to take part this year but it clashes with school assessments, so it's not possible. Your daughter has a distinction,I would think that she will be perfect :) Let us know how she gets on if she enters ... and good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Did anyone take part last weekend? Unfortunately my DD wasn't able to enter as she had too many other commitments with GCSE Art controlled assessments taking place and sixth form auditions. 

Would love to hear how it all went.

NL