Lower school final auditions

Waitingmum

Thinking of you during the wait. In not sure I couldn't copied with an email - at least once the post had been you knew you had to "forget" about it for another day (although by postman would've probably preferred it - I think he thought I was a bit manic that week 10 years ago lol)

• Like 3

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, DD in tears. Coming up with new things which were "probably wrong" at the audition. This was 6th audition in her very young life and for the first time she is upset after! Actually she looks devastated rather then upset :-(

Hope she'll be better in the morning

Oh gosh Happymum, I'm so sorry to hear that your poor dd is upset :( remind her that it is impossible to tell what the panel were looking for, so they could've really liked her. They're looking for potential, not perfection! It's natural for a dancer to be critical of her performance- I've done about 20 auditions over the past few years, and always end up thinking 'well I messed up that step' or 'that girl was better than me' but ultimately what's done is done, nothing can change the outcome now, and as long as she tried her best that's all that matters xx

• Like 6

So sad to hear she was upset. It was such a big day, so much anxiety, emotionally draining. My DD was part of the call back which stresses me completely, because I feel she's not a definite yes, but then at least she's not a definite no either.

She came out so happy, and thoroughly enjoyed her day. I can't ask for anymore than that, so what will be will be. We were already in the mindset that she has achieved so much already in getting to the finals, and now gone one step further with a call back...regardless of what that means, we know it means they liked her no matter what the outcome.

I hope your DD is feeling better today, not nice to hear of anyone being upset. Fingers crossed we all find out quickly (anyone else manically refreshing their inbox already, even though it is very unlikely we will find out until next week?!).

Great to hear your DD enjoyed the day Danceintherain! My DD is much better today! Full of hope and nice memories of yesterday :-) probably she was just emotionally and physically exhausted last night.

Now we are on our way for her first pointe shoes fitting :-)

You are right that they already achieved a lot and what will be will be!

And you may rest assured that you are not the only one checking email inbox constantly!

Good luck to your DD!

And thank you all for your reassuring kind words!

I'm really pleased my DD is better today. I wasn't sure yesterday if the whole process was a good idea but now I know it was a good experience for my DD.

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1

My dd also had a callback and I completely agree danceintherainwith all that you have said. tuesday think I had better take my phone charger to work as the battery my well run out with the number of times I'll be checking!! My dd has her intermediate foundation exam on Monday so all very stressful - she seems to be coping better than me!!

Hope your dd is feelin better this morning happymum - horrible when they don't enjoy but I think they all come out saying they got things wrong - my dd certainly did.

• Like 1

Good luck to everyone waiting - I know it's a really stressful wait.  Please try and focus on the positive (hard I know) that it is SUCH a huge achievement to be called back for finals (look at the RB Annual Report which tells you how many audition!).  Even if RB say "no" one year they welcome applications for following years so this is not a "one time only" opportunity.  RB are not only assessing dancing ability but want their "type" - you could be a fantastic dancer but just not quite what they are looking for - not being offered a place at RB does not mean your child has failed in any way or won't make it as a dancer....

• Like 4

Totally agree with your last sentence Zoozoo! It really is not the end of the world to be turned down by RBS ... we applied to RBS lower school only twice and dd made finals both times. We didn't apply again as she went on to train at the school we had to turn down for year 7 and has just never looked back. Very best of luck to everyone waiting for results, it is such a stressful time.

• Like 1

We have one very nervous little girl in our house today. I think that she is more nervous than she was for the audition last week. Like danceintherain and waitingmum's dd's my dd was part of the call back too which has made her more distressed.

This is such a difficult time for both daughters and mothers alike. Just hope the email comes today. It took me twenty minutes to open the email after the preliminaries so it may take me a couple of hours this time.

Good luck to everyone waiting for results today. Big hugs to everyone.

• Like 1

Yes, good luck to everyone! I never thought I would be this stressed about it, the waiting makes me feel sick, and I do wonder whether the call back has made it worse, because we know they are SO close (which, of course, is a positive also).

Is everyone else wondering whether they're all at WL this morning discussing the final decisions...or maybe they made all the decisions last Friday...are all the emails drafted ready for somebody to say 'send'! Argh, it's too much, haha!

Fingers crossed it'll be soon. xx

I have taken the call back as a positive- even if it is a no at least it was a nearly yes rather than an outright no!!

Last year the girls didn't find out until Tuesday so I am trying to tell myself we won't hear today!!!

We are keepin busy as my dd has her inter foundation exam today - one thing after another!

Fingers crossed for all.

• Like 1

I really feel for you all, mums! The wait must be the worst part of the whole process, but at least you can be sure of your DCs talent, as they got so far! My DD tried for y8 at RBS but didn't get finals, so we are still trying to understand if she is talented enough to try for vocational schools.....

I would like to be in your shoes, even with the stress of the waiting! Your DC have done so well and a no at this point doesn't mean they won't have other chances for a bright future! Good luck to everyone!

• Like 5

When my daughter auditioned, six years ago now (but feels like yesterday) she was also one of the 'call back kids' and yes it does extend a very lovely but stressful day.

The letters were sent the following week....unbeknown to us because ours had gone missing!! It wasn't until the Saturday after the audition at our london junior ballet class that we heard of people getting their yes or no letters. As it was a Saturday there was nothing I could do. So, Monday morning I plucked up courage to phone the school to be told they would send another letter. I said but what if that goes missing too. Eventually they agreed to email me.... Which took 2 hours to come through. Can you imagine what the waiting was like.

Anyway finally the email came through and she had been put on the waiting list. A further phone call told me that there were 4 on the list. After another 4 or 5 weeks I received a phone call saying a place had become available!!

I think many gin and tonics were consumed in that 5 week wait!

Happily she is in first year upper school and loving every minute.

I do sympathise with the nervous waiting...... But it really is just the start.

Good luck to you all.

• Like 15