RB Afternoon of a Faun/In the Night/Song of the Earth

Just noticed that casting is up..!  http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/afternoon-of-a-faun-in-the-night-song-of-the-earth

Afternoon of a Faun

29 May: Bonelli, Lamb

30 May: Muntagirov, Hamilton

1 Jun: Muntagirov, Hamilton

4 Jun: Bonelli, Lamb

In the Night

29 may: Maguire, Campbell, Yanowsky, Kish, Nunez, Soares

30 May: Lamb, Bonelli, Kobayashi, Hristov, Marques, Pennefather

1 Jun: Lamb, Bonelli, Kobayashi, Hristov, Marques, Pennefather

4 Jun: Maguire, Campbell, Yanowsky, Kish, Nunez, Soares

Song of the Earth

29 may: Cuthbertson, Pennefather, Watson

30 May: Morera, Kish, McRae

1 Jun: Nunez, Acosta, Soares

4 Jun: Cuthbertson, Pennefather, Watson

• Like 1

I would imagine the reason why there is no Osipova and Muntagirov in this run of Song of the Earth is the fact that the RB will need to balance the principal casting for the US tour (giving as many principals a chance to be seen as possible - especially those featured in the cinema broadcasts and therefore better known by the US audiences) and Osipova and Muntagirov are both principals in the single full length - the Acosta DQ - which the Royal Ballet have chosen as best to highlight the their current skills level/overall oeuvre in that Nation's capital city and Chicago.  Both would (I should imagine) also feature (definitely Osipova with Golding) in Ashton's Dream, the one established narrative ballet which is to be shown in NYC only (respecting, of course, the fact that Scarlett's The Age of Anxiety does also, of course, have a narrative loosely based in and around the Auden). 

Of course it might well be that Osipova and Muntagirov - both of course well known to NYC audiences - have guesting commitments during that very brief time period of the London triple bill.  Perhaps we will see them in the MacMillan in the next round.  They would both be well suited to it I should imagine.  Especially I feel Muntagirov would be after having had the prized opportunity to see him in his very fine performance in ENB's presentation of Song of a Wayfarer.  That, for me, remains a definite highlight in his overall dancing canon thus far.  It's up there with his stunning debut in Manon. 

The 2014/15 season will have definitely been a banner one for our friends in NYC given that they will have enjoyed appearances by the Mariinsky (there right now), the dancers from the Royal Danish Ballet, the Bolshoi, the Mikhailovsky, the National Ballet of Canada and the Royal Ballet (amongst visiting others) all in addition, of course, to ABT's 75th Anniversary Season and the always thrilling rep of NYCB which is now happily - after the lull of a some years ago - in as high a state of performance as it has (reputedly) ever been.  It is suggested that Hamburg Ballet may also take Lilliom (which I'm sure will feature Ms. Cojocaru) as part of the LIncoln Center Festival this season.  We were, of course, lucky to see a pas de deux from the latter in a previous gala which was lovely. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 2 months later...

Given that, for whatever reason, he's not doing his scheduled performances in "Song of the Earth" in the 4Ts mixed bill, I'm wondering what the chances are of Steven McRae dancing the one scheduled performance he has in the summer booking period? Since I assume he's going to feature heavily in the US tour, it may be that his rehearsal time might be better spent on other things?

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find an existing topic on the Royal Ballet casting for period 4 of 2014/15, apologies if I missed it.   @ Moderators, please move the post if appropriate, thanks.

Steven McRae will be replaced by Edward Watson for the matinee performance of Song of the Earth on 30 May 2015.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-edward-watson-to-dance-in-song-of-the-earth-on-30-may-2015

Finally.  I'd assumed he wouldn't just be doing the one performance.

Duck, we usually do have a casting thread per booking period, but for some reason period 4 has been divided into two separate threads, so I've merged your thread with this one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that Ryoichi Hirano is to replace Rupert Pennefather in the performances of Song of the Earth on May 29 and June 4

Oh dear! What a shame for Pennefather. One cannot help but feel that his is a career which, blighted by injury and having never really blossomed as it should, is now on the wane. He does not seem to have been cast much this season and, for 2015/16 Period 1, he has only 2 R&Js and 3 Nutcrackers.

I like Hirano but would have preferred to have seen Muntagirov in the role.

Edited by Guest

Oh dear! What a shame for Pennefather. One cannot help but feel that his is a career which, blighted by injury and having never really blossomed as it should, is now on the wane. He does not seem to have been cast much this season and, for 2015/16 Period 1, he has only 2 R&Js and 3 Nutcrackers.

I like Hirano but would have preferred to have seen Muntagirov in the role.

At least Pennefather is getting the R & J broadcast....

Pennefather is still down to dance in In The Night, strangely.  Maybe because it's a less onerous role than the one in Song, which perhaps suggests that his injury is still causing a few niggles?  Just pure speculation on my part, I hasten to add. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea but as so many people in the theatre world seem to smoke (observation over many years of seeing people lurking outside theatres) I would have thought that totally irrelevant as most of them will be in the same boat.

• Like 2

I'm not sure smoking is as prevalent among younger dancers though, is it? I would like to think that nutrition is part of vocational training in upper schools - and that young dancers are therefore realising that (1) smoking isn't actually that effective as an appetite supressant, and that the risks of smoking outweigh the perceived benefits, (2) the repertoire in many companies is becoming more contemporary, demanding more - or maybe a different amount of stamina - and (3) to demand athletic levels of endurance from your body means having to fuel it accordingly.

So if some of the more experienced dancers who trained longer ago have smoked or still do, because it was the norm then, it could reasonably be supposed that smoking might impact on their recovery rate following injury. I get asked before every single surgery if I smoke or have ever smoke, (never have, fortunately) because apparently it has a particularly detrimental effect upon the success of spinal surgery.

I have recently seen one famous principal walking down Bow Street, cigarette in hand during the day. For whatever reason there will be individuals whom one would rather think are non smokers, who are indeed smokers. And if they can dance as well as this lady can, I have no issue with it, nor do I if they don't!

• Like 2