Hip flexor

ParentTaxi

Daughter (12, growing exceptionaly rapidly, dances every day at a non-vocational school, working at Grade 6 / Int F level) seems to have a hip flexor injury. She is resting - in terms of only doing movements she can do without pain, though attending most of her normal classes even if she watches for some exercises. Teacher has recmmended ice treatment then to see a physio if it isn't better in a week. I'm a bit :o at this, as I had thought it was just one of those minor niggles that would clear up rapidly and by itself.

Any further hints or tips?

My dd had a big growth spurt a few years ago and we were told that the bones grow quickly but the muscles don't and take a longer time to grow and catch up. It's very easy to strain tendons and pull muscles while this is going on, and she was told to ease off a lot and especially not to do stretching.

It would probably be a good idea to get her checked out if things don't settle down soon.

Hope she's soon feeling better :)

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot to say - she has mentioned it since mid last week (after returning to dance after the Christmas break).

Ice, of course, we have been doing that since DD first mentioned the issue - it is the 'physio after a week' that I was slightly surprised by, being more used to the type of knocks, bruises and strains that DS picks up as a footballer (goalie, so more knocks than strains), which generally seem very dramatic initially but ease off rapidly!

Parent taxi, my grandaughter had a very similar strain a few weeks ago, I won't call it an injury. Luckily I have contact with some very good sports therapists, one in particular  thought it was a tendon problem in the hip, and after a couple of sessions it has settled down, fingers crossed. Like you say, children can and do grow in fits and starts, which maybe could cause soft tissue strains, ( I'll leave that to the experts ) Hope it settles down soon for her, and think it good advice from her teacher.

My son gets a similar thing - massive growth spurts in last couple of years. I took him to see a Physio just before starting at vocational school to check all ok and was just a strain which needed rest and to settle after growing so much. Seems to be ok at mo, but growth slowed right down (thankfully).

Thanks all. Brief update. I took her to a physio yesterday - recommended by others who had used her for ballet-related issues. The immediate painfulness had been hugely reduced by rest, but I wanted to get it checked out.

Very, very thorough assessment. Lots of little things identified - she's hypermobile (I knew she had hyperextending knees, but it's the same for all her joints), there's some pronation going on in one foot leading to her pelvis being very slightly out of alignment, and she's grown like a weed, all of which contribute to some muscle tightness in her hip and lower back, which has made it liable to this type of strain.

She has exercises (3-4 times daily for hip and back, hourly for her foot), instuctions to get school shoes with better instep support (any hints on that one are welcome, she's already in good-quality brogues and a trip round all the shoe shops today confirmed that none of them have school shoes with good instep support), and strict instructions not to stand slouchily (which she does to disguise the fact she's a good 10 cm taller than any of her classmates). Massage yesterday, and a review appointment next week. Already moving more easily.

• Like 5

Just a word of caution as this happened to DS and I was continuously told by teachers it was related to growth spurts and would settle of its own accord. It didn't. He had some relief with rest/physio/acupuncture etc etc but it kept just coming back within a few weeks. All in all he was in pain for over a year and this limited his training (he probably sat out of at least one to 2 classes a week). I was in despair as all treatments helped but temporarily- and I couldn't see how he could carry on if this required weekly physic for ever.... Also I was slightly unconvinced by te growth spurt theory as I couldn't see why this would be so one sided....

Anyway he got a new teacher at the beginning of this year, who within a WEEK identified that DS was very slightly misaligned at the barre (not quite parallel) and because of this he was leaning a little to compensate, thus putting extra strain on the hip muscles. He stopped DS doing this and made him 'retrain' his alignment. Bingo - no pain since....

This may well not be at all relevant to your DD but I just wanted to say that often strains/injuries are put down to growth spurts as it is an easy explanation. Therapy can treat the symptoms but may not find the cause. So worth being aware of this. And also that it may need the input of the dance teacher to check alignment etc- as this is something that could never be identified in a physio session where the physio doesn't see the person training!

• Like 1

Skechers do some nice shoes which are like Mary-Janes with a velcro strap across. I have very high arches (underneath the foot) and the Skechers I have do have very good arch support. Mine are a few years old now but the current version of them seems to be called Skechers Bikers Ribboneer.