Sign in to follow this  
Ian Macmillan

Birmingham Royal Ballet Open Day, 25 January 2015

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this as I had somehow missed it - despite having only been there recently.  I met up with DD to go and visit today for the Open Day as she has taken lots of classes there in the past and was keen to see how it looks now.  The facilities look fantastic.  The day seemed well attended.  We certainly enjoyed ourselves, having a good look around and a close up view of a lot of the costumes.  DD was also persuaded to try one of the elaborate tutus on.  We were lucky enough to see a demonstration of pas de deux techniques and an extract form 'In the Upper Room' and they were kind enough to explain and demonstrate a lift to my DD at the end which had not been in the demonstration but which her partner struggles with at school.  We also saw a performance from 'Freefall' which was lovely and really reminds you that dance is for all and showed the enjoyment of dance.  I only wish we had been able to stay longer ....

• Like 1

I am so sorry I missed this. I'm pleased to hear it was well attended as there wasn't too much publicity about the event. A lovely variety of activities too. I can recall going to see the opening of the original studios and facilities when BRB moved to Birmingham. It has been a very positive move and one that has benefited the city greatly.

Are there any photos/ details of the new premises?

http://brb.org.uk/2015-opening-ceremony.html

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/darcey-bussell-raises-curtain-27m-8484185

I was at a Friends event on Friday.  The studios are wonderful, although when the seats are in place in the theatre/studio the performance space is quite limited.  It is a fabulous new facility for BRB.

On a personal note, I was very moved to see that one of the new studios has been named in honour of a friend who passed away a year ago.

• Like 2

On a personal note, I was very moved to see that one of the new studios has been named in honour of a friend who passed away a year ago.

Janet, would that have been in honour of a special bequest?  That is such a lovely gift that will continue to serve others for much time to come.   Most generous. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I've not seen any photos but they gave us a sheet with before and after photos on it and when DD is home from school I will see if she can get them onto here.

If Janet's friend is who I think it is I cannot think of a nicer or more fitting tribute to a great supporter of BRB. She devoted much of her life to watching them and it is terrific that she should have a permanent memorial in this way.