RBS Mid Associates (MA) audition

anneeliz

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi balletqueen, we were told last year that, in London at least, there is a Year 7/8 class and a Year 8/9 class and therefore there is a chance of getting a Year 8 place even if they missed out on a Year 7 one. (Like my dd!) I think it's a matter of fingers crossed though, there are so few places!

My daughter is trying for yr 8 in bath for first time.  They seemed to be auditioning all day so I can't imagine how many DD's were seen.  Do most of the DD's who have been on a yr 7 place decide to carry on into yr 8 associates or do any drop out?.   I can't imagine that any child would want to drop out but I am just thinking that there can't be many spare places left!  I do understand totally that if you got a place you would most likely want to continue the next year but not sure how it all works and how many children they take at the most?  I am a bit lost in this strange new world and this forum is very useful for information for alll you DD mums and dads who are used to all this...............!

the wait is long isn't it!  We are also waiting to hear re Elmhurst Junior Summer school - first time applying for MA's and Summer school!  Didn't realise how hard it is waiting and checking e mails. DD very calm and expecting no's but just be nice to know!  At least we are all in this together!

• Like 1

wow ballet queen - well done to you DD for making finals- How amazing is that and first attempt too!  All this waiting is making me jittery!  Hoping we can all be put out of our misery by Easter. Doesn't sound like there are many places then for MA's.  So glad I discovered this forum as it is an alien world to me.  I so confused too Dancinginthe rain.  If we can hear re MA's and Elmhurst SS shortly then at least I will not start eating the Easter eggs under my bed with the stress of it all!!  We have a first residential booked for DD for Tring SS so if no's for MA and Elmhurst DD will look forward to Tring.  Good luck to all waiting!

There are quite a few locations for Ma courses but may only be a few spaces for each class/ year group. I guess it depends how many choose to leave/don't get offered another year. I'm not entirely sure how it works, we're still pretty new to it all but just going on things I've picked up on here. I'd convinced myself it could be any day now, but if it's after Easter, ahhh! We're grateful of the experience at white lodge but I guess for those that have been there and experienced it, you will know what I mean, one minute you feel so close to nearly making it and start to believe it really could be possible and then suddenly reality sets in and hopes are dashed. We're still dealing with the disappointment and am trying to put things into perspective for my dd. An offer of an MA place would mean the world to her now, whatever happens I know she will keep trying. Good luck to everyone else trying for a place .

I know exactly how you feel balletqueen. We were also at White Lodge for finals and DD was part of the call back. My hubby was convinced she was in! We're waiting on results from Elmhurst finals too...I even worked from home today thinking it might be in today's post, but alas no. I still get confused about the few spaces in MAs...if the classes are by year group, surely there must be a full Y7 class to fill, so it makes me think that the classes can't be split. Baffled!

Edited by Danceintherain

MA's are mixed years 7,8 and 9 so there isn't a whole year 7 class to fill and the spaces that do become available are to be shared across the age range so not necessarily going to year 7 children as they are looking for 8 and 9's too xx

Hello, I can only speak for the London centre where there are 2 MA classes - MA1 is yrs 7 & 8 and MA2 is yrs 8 & 9.  The number of spaces available will be dependant upon how many year 9s there are, as they leave/move onto SAs at the end of MA2.  . There may also be extra spaces if any of the yr7/8's are assessed out or choose to leave and sadly, this does happen.  The available spaces will be over both classes/yr's, I don't know if they allocate 'x' number of spaces for each yr group so can't really help with numbers other than DD advises there are 12 yr9 associates in her class. So potentially 12 spaces.  DD did get her MA place after WL finals but there were others in her class who had not been finalists....hope that helps, best of luck, my DD has loved her time as an associate and we are now waiting on the SA letter so I feel your pain!!  :wacko:

• Like 2

If children who are offered Y7 MA places are going to full-time vocational schools instead, that may free some spaces on the waiting list? Presumably Y7 is the most likely age group to have spaces available as MAs only start at Y7, but equally if current Y7 or Y8 MAs gain places at vocational schools, that would equally free their MA places....

Last year in Bath they cut the MA classes down from 2 to 1, so dc's that were already in those classes were disappointed as some of them lost their places.  There were only 2 spots offered to year 7 children, those spots were give to people on the reserve list as the 2 children went to vocational schools.  Unfortunately the number of centres providing classes for MA's is less than for JA's so it is harder to get into those classes.  Good luck to all that are waiting to hear, just never forget there are many avenues to get to where you want to go, if this door closes another one will open and you never know, it may not be the one you were looking for, but it may be better for you. 

• Like 1

I thought the letter will be 'yes' or 'no' but it seems from reading above there is waiting list, reserve list and SWL(not sure what that is being new to all this- could anyone explain)?  Yes or No is straightforward but anything else seems to be confusing my already befuddled head? Is waiting list the same as reserve list?  Sorry for all the questions!!!