RBS Mid Associates (MA) audition

anneeliz

Hi, my DD is auditioning for MAs on Sunday and we were wondering if the audition class includes any warm-up time, or if she should warm up on her own beforehand.

If anyone knows, we would be grateful for any answers ... (I did email rbs but no reply)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't warm up in the auditions so my dd always did first.

My dd was a JA and they were told not to warm up before going in.......... Odd.

This goes against everything I've been taught so insisted she warm up prior. I think most do warm up.

There can be a bit of 'competitive' warming up going on so I always told my daughter not to worry about what other people were doing. .....

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My thinking always was:

A number of DC who are not invited to WL finals are offered MA because they are talented and RBS "type" and there are more MA places that WL finals places.

Majority of DC invited to WL finals are offered MA because clearly RBS sees a lot of potential in them if they were invited to finals.

Some of the DC invited to finals aren't offered MA because during the more throughout final audition RBS discovered something which suggest that these DC aren't suitable for RBS training (most likely physio assesment results).

If this is how it is then it makes sense. I just needed to explain it for my self and this is what I came up with :-)

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 2

I have had pupils who were offered (and accepted) MA  places without getting WL finals.  Having observed many of the classes as a parent chaperone or for teacher observation, I have come to the following conclusion.  For entry to WL they are looking for a specific physique and style of dancer who would be suitable for RBS training.

However, for MA places they seem to allow a wider definition of talent, so a dancer who shows real potential, but would not necessarily be suitable for WL may be offered a place.  For SA places the parameters seem to narrow again (fewer places) to those most suitable for RBS training.

• Like 2

You'd think on that basis if you're turned down for MAs/SAs etc there would be no chance of US or even US Finals but even that I don't think is universally true.

It's best not to reason too much or take any decision too much to heart. There are other excellent places to train if you don't get into RBS  

• Like 2

Just following two students from the Prix de Lausanne recently .....I'm not going to,name them for obvious reasons but I could have told you who the Royal Ballet would have been more interested in right from the out start ....later proving correct....however they were ENTIRELY different dancers and I would be very hard put to say which I preferred!!

I'm not worried by this.......it's great for classical ballet.....for it means there is quite a wide range of what works for a classical dancer.

Don't worry if your DD or DS doesn't make WL or Junior or senior associates or whatever. Encourage them to keep going if they are keen and see what happens down the line!

• Like 5

It's always worth having a go at these schemes that may help your child to improve etc .....it's just not getting too negative about it all if not chosen and the child then possibly thinking they are no good!!

Best of luck with it all x